T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > General T-Shirt Selling Discussion

General T-Shirt Selling Category Sponsor

This is the catchall topic for the t-shirt selling discussion. Not sure where to post your question about t-shirt selling? Start here.

Streamlined Sales Tax

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 31st, 2006 Jul 31, 2006 9:41:59 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Streamlined Sales Tax

A recent item in an email newsletter by one of my California congressmen on the proposed Streamlined Sales Tax Project (SSTP) just caught my eye, and I figured that some of you might be interested in it due to its implications for online stores.

In a nutshell, the SSTP would force businesses that do mail order and internet sales to collect sales taxes from citizens of other states (of the US). SSTP would require Congress to enforce the system and would use an organization called the Multistate Tax Commission to collect and audit the sellers. Congress is currently being asked to force all sellers, even if they operate in a state that does not participate in the SSTP, to collect taxes from buyers in states that do participate.

There's a lot of problems with this. The big one, of course, is that every online store outfit - ie., those of us who sell shirts online - would be responsible to know the sales tax laws of all 50 states, as well as the nearly 10,000 jurisdictions that exist within those states (as there are a multiplicity of different sales tax levels within each state due to differing county/city laws).

If the darn thing gets approved, it's difficult to imagine how a small outfit would cope with that. The Cafepress/Spreadshirt type stores would be alright, I suppose, as those two companies have the money to run the proper accounting, as would the Bustedtees, Threadlesses and T-Shirt Hells of the world.

Interesting to see what happens. Does anyone know some more about this issue?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2006 Jul 31, 2006 11:43:16 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Thanked 6,035 Times in 3,228 Posts

Default Re: Streamlined Sales Tax

Things like an "internet sales tax" have come up before in congress, but have failed (for various reasons).

I think this is along the same lines.

Old July 31st, 2006 Jul 31, 2006 11:46:21 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Master

Yeah I've heard of similar things as well and they didn't pass. What a pain in the *** that would be.

Old July 31st, 2006 Jul 31, 2006 3:41:32 PM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Thanked 1,314 Times in 1,080 Posts

The point of the streamlined sales tax is to eliminate knowing 50 sales tax laws by providing a common method for computation and payment. This really has a long, long, long way to go before it, if ever, becomes a reality. Now, what is happening is States like NY and CA are going after large mail order companies, getting sales records to their State and going after the customers for the 'Use Tax' on cigarettes. I am sure this will extend to other taxable items as well.

Old July 31st, 2006 Jul 31, 2006 3:45:57 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Aficionado

Yeah, it is the same thing as before. However, the new version seems to be gathering more momentum. The National Retail Federation and the International Conference of Shopping Centers are pushing this one hard. Makes sense, as they represent more the brick-and-mortar type of shop, which is losing revenue to online sales. Shrug. Hopefully this latest effort will fail too. It's an interesting issue to follow though. I think it only hinges on the government being able to figure out how to enforce. Once that happens...

This is a discussion about Streamlined Sales Tax that was posted in the General T-Shirt Selling Discussion section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in