T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > General T-Shirt Selling Discussion

General T-Shirt Selling Category Sponsor

This is the catchall topic for the t-shirt selling discussion. Not sure where to post your question about t-shirt selling? Start here.

[CLOTHING LINE] Is there a market for selling funny tshirts

Like Tree4Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 9th, 2014 Sep 9, 2014 11:26:57 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Is there a market for selling funny tshirts

Hi All,

Long time reader first time poster(sorry for the cliche )

So i'm starting my business selling funny t-shirts online. I showed one of my friends the website with some of my designs. He liked some of the designs and thought they were funny but he said he wouldn't wear them and reckons no one else would.

I just wanted the opinions of the good people here at t-shirt forums. So I was just wondering if there still exists a market for funny t-shirts? Would you guys wear funny tshirts?

Any opinions, feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers from New Zealand!

P.S.
Check my site out. Let me know what you think
Products | Jokes on you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2014 Sep 10, 2014 1:46:21 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Default Re: Is there a market for selling funny tshirts

Hi,
I had a look on website, it is good but what I find interesting was concept.

One thing who can add is sublimated funny t-shirts.If anyone bought your t-shirt they can add their flair in it through sublimation.Sublimation is the new trend in which you can print anything on fabric.Before it was just limited to sportswear but now it is reaching to common people. For more information about sublimation you can log to Sublimation.

Old September 10th, 2014 Sep 10, 2014 8:34:56 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Steve
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokesonyou
Hi All,

So i'm starting my business selling funny t-shirts online. I showed one of my friends the website with some of my designs. He liked some of the designs and thought they were funny but he said he wouldn't wear them and reckons no one else would.

I just wanted the opinions of the good people here at t-shirt forums. So I was just wondering if there still exists a market for funny t-shirts? Would you guys wear funny tshirts?

Cheers from New Zealand!

P.S.
Products | Jokes on you
Taste is an individual thing, hence so many model cars, etc. Put up a few designs and see what sells, because it's not what people say they like, it's what they buy. . With enough sales data you will get a better feel for which genres and trends to pursue.

Old September 10th, 2014 Sep 10, 2014 3:08:53 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Sub is only done on poly, correct? He may not know that.

Old September 11th, 2014 Sep 11, 2014 12:52:44 PM -   #5 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Great job on the name.

Yes, there is a huge market for silly/funny/ironic/offensive T-shirts. See these sites: http://www.badideatshirts.com/; http://www.bustedtees.com/; http://www.roadkilltshirts.com/; Snorg Tees - New Funny T-Shirts Every Week - Cool Graphic Tee Shirts

I don't get the Love at First Sight shirt, but that's fine. People who get it will feel special.

I'm on the same general path as you. How many design ideas do you have? I currently have about 70, but many of those will never rise to the top of the list and get made. Your execution on the designs is good, but I would want about twice that many to start with, which means having about 4 times that many developed ideas and picking the best out of them.

I didn't see any info about using PayPal with a credit card until I clicked the PayPal option at checkout. I'd say something about that on a FAQs page and/or on the checkout page so people without a PayPal account know that upfront (else why would I click on the PayPal option if I didn't have a PayPal account). (The direct account transfer option seems just plain crazy, but I've seen that before on sites from "down-under" so I guess it is normal for you guys.)

I own hundreds of funny shirts, and have rarely worn anything else. You don't need to make a product that everyone likes, but you do need to get it in front of the people who would like it, so know your target market.

Old September 12th, 2014 Sep 12, 2014 4:20:39 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Dee
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I think funny shirts work as a novelty gift item, but personally, I don't tell the same jokes over and over again to the same people, so I wouldn't want to wear a joke t-shirt very often unless I was constantly in different company. Would you want friends to comment among themselves, "He was wearing that 'Yawn loading' shirt again" (or much worse)?

Old September 15th, 2014 Sep 15, 2014 4:14:01 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokesonyou
Hi All,

Cheers from New Zealand!

P.S.
Products | Jokes on you

Hi,
Yes,I do think there is market for funny t-shirts, but as I said earlier if you add sublimation process in this,then it would impact the customers. So do search about sublimation process. For more information log on to sublimation process.

Old September 18th, 2014 Sep 18, 2014 11:14:16 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thank you all so much for your feedback. Yeah I think the main key for me is finding the people who would buy/wear funny t-shirts. So I just got target the right people.

Will definitely add the info on how to pay using paypal. Thanks for the heads up NoXid. Yeah direct transfer is real common in NZ haha..

Quote:
I think funny shirts work as a novelty gift item, but personally, I don't tell the same jokes over and over again to the same people, so I wouldn't want to wear a joke t-shirt very often unless I was constantly in different company. Would you want friends to comment among themselves, "He was wearing that 'Yawn loading' shirt again" (or much worse)?
But even if you a buy a normal t-shirt and wear it more than once, isn't there a chance your friends would comment on you wearing the same t-shirt?

But again thanks everyone for the help will take your feedback and try make changes and see what happens

Old September 19th, 2014 Sep 19, 2014 4:05:20 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Jackey

Hi All,
Funny T-shirts is very popular in China now .
College students customize funny T-shirts as their class uniform
I think your Fanny T-shirts will be good selling
For more information about customize T-shirts in China you can go Customize T-shirts In China

Old September 19th, 2014 Sep 19, 2014 4:43:57 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: James

At least your designs are pretty original, that's good, but I just don't understand who wears these anymore. At least from my experience I only see these kind of tshirts on middle aged guys with a beer belly and an often scruffy or unkept appearance. I don't think young people wear them because they're funny, because funny t-shirts will roll more eyes and and cause judgement than laughter.

Old September 22nd, 2014 Sep 22, 2014 4:53:50 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Hi,
You said right, I want to wish all the best for the future.If you want any information regarding marketing the customized clothing then feel free to ask.
Hometown Athlete
New Jersey
USA

Old September 23rd, 2014 Sep 23, 2014 3:07:13 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: John

I wear funny t shirts.

Old October 16th, 2014 Oct 16, 2014 1:33:38 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

We ran some funny tee's a couple of years ago and back then sold them at a street market. We did really well, better than we thought we'd do. Seven years later, after stopping it, we've had loads of people ask "Do you still do the funny tee's?", with the hope of buying them. And I remember our designs being pretty lame, but they sold. I agree that it is an individual thing, but there's 7 billion people on this planet with maybe about a billion with internet access. Surely out of that billion you can find a huge market, if your strategy of hitting the right target market is well planned.

Go for it, but don't forget that you can print ANYTHING!!! So launch a second website if need be, with more serious t-shirts maybe, with urban designs, surf designs, fantacy, you name it! The sky's the limit here, and ends only where you allow it to end. At the end of the time, you do this for money, be it a little or a lot. So spawn the streams and enter the "cool", "mainstream", "fashionable" as well, or build just the jokes, but make your product exceptional so that you become the next best brand right up there with all the other brands of the world!

I say go for it! And all the best. If you had to live according to what a hand full of people thought, without meeting all the millions who feel different, you'll make a wrong decision somewhere and regret it much later on. So do what you love, and live it. You'll do great!!!!!
NoXid likes this.

Old October 16th, 2014 Oct 16, 2014 1:38:07 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Laura
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcielo
Yes. Agreed.

Old October 16th, 2014 Oct 16, 2014 2:51:40 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Manuel

I use funny tshirts, and think there is huge market out there

This is a discussion about Is there a market for selling funny tshirts that was posted in the General T-Shirt Selling Discussion section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in