T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > General T-Shirt Selling Discussion

General T-Shirt Selling Category Sponsor

This is the catchall topic for the t-shirt selling discussion. Not sure where to post your question about t-shirt selling? Start here.

2 Questions: relabeling & using famous images on t-shirts

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 3rd, 2006 Mar 3, 2006 11:30:47 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default 2 Questions: relabeling & using famous images on t-shirts

Whats Up Everyone!
My First Question Is Does Anyone On This Forum Know Of Any Relabeling Services In The Ny/nj Area? I Mean A Place That Removes The Existing Tags From The Garment And Either Replaces It With Your Tags Or Stitches It Back Up So You Can Screenprint The Label Or Whatever.
Question #2:
How Does One Go About Getting Permission To Use Images Of Stars, Political Figures, Etc. On T-shirts. I See Lots Of Different T-shirt Companies Using Images Of Famous People (bob Marley, Stevie Wonder, Biggie Smalls, Etc.) On Their Shirts. While Not Always Very Original Or Creative, They Seem Wildly Popular And I Have A Few Ideas That I Wanted To Play With. Does It Depend On How The Image Is Used And If It Has Been Altered Or Not? Is It A Situation Of Them Just Using The Images And Having To Pay Royalties Later Or Do You Have To Take Steps Beforehand To Get Permission?
Anyway This Forum Is Great And I Appreciate Any Help Anyone Can Give Me.
Peace

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2006 Mar 3, 2006 12:14:05 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Default Re: 2 Questions: relabeling & using famous images on t-shirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarket
Whats Up Everyone!
My First Question Is Does Anyone On This Forum Know Of Any Relabeling Services In The Ny/nj Area? I Mean A Place That Removes The Existing Tags From The Garment And Either Replaces It With Your Tags Or Stitches It Back Up So You Can Screenprint The Label Or Whatever.
Many screen printers will do this for an additional fee at the time they print your garments. Maybe you could call around to local printers and see if they can provide the service or refer you to someone locally that can.

Since a lot of fashion happens in NY, I'm sure there are local companies that can be found.

Quote:
Question #2:
How Does One Go About Getting Permission To Use Images Of Stars, Political Figures, Etc. On T-shirts. I See Lots Of Different T-shirt Companies Using Images Of Famous People (bob Marley, Stevie Wonder, Biggie Smalls, Etc.) On Their Shirts. While Not Always Very Original Or Creative, They Seem Wildly Popular And I Have A Few Ideas That I Wanted To Play With. Does It Depend On How The Image Is Used And If It Has Been Altered Or Not? Is It A Situation Of Them Just Using The Images And Having To Pay Royalties Later Or Do You Have To Take Steps Beforehand To Get Permission?
"Right to Publicity" laws prohibit people from using another persons likeness on merchandise for sale without permission.

Political figures are exempt from right to publicity laws, which is why you may see lots of Bush or **** Cheney type t-shirts.

Celebrities often have "celebrity licensing agents" that handle the marketing of their name or image on merchandise. You would need to lookup the contact or agent for the celebrity to find out how to use their image and what the fees are.

Some companies have used celebrity images illegally, and try to fly under the radar. These companies can be sued by the celebrity (or their estate in the case of B.I.G/Tupac or other deceased celebs).

Quote:
Anyway This Forum Is Great And I Appreciate Any Help Anyone Can Give Me.Peace
Just a friendly tip. Try not to write in ALL CAPS or with Each First Letter In The Word Capitalized because it makes posts harder to read

Old March 3rd, 2006 Mar 3, 2006 11:16:01 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Nick

Agree with everything above.

I'm Only Posting Because This Must Be The Strangest Capitalisation System I've Ever Seen.

Old March 3rd, 2006 Mar 3, 2006 11:52:55 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Political figures are fair game, but what about their spouses? Lynne Cheney, Pat Nixon for example. And pundits, such as Bill O'Really?.

Last edited by Shirt_Off_My_Bak; March 4th, 2006 at 09:07 AM..

Old March 4th, 2006 Mar 4, 2006 5:59:13 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I don't think spouses or pundits are fair game.

Old May 3rd, 2006 May 3, 2006 10:47:30 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Pete

Hey Rod

With the "Right to Publicity" laws does that mean I can't use a Silhouette of an athlete/superstar such as mohammed ali or bruce lee?

I've seen people sell tshirts that captures a movie still on ebay and have hundreds of customers. Would it be illegal for me to sell a tshirt that captures an athlete (i.e. a boxing fight still) in action?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
Many screen printers will do this for an additional fee at the time they print your garments. Maybe you could call around to local printers and see if they can provide the service or refer you to someone locally that can.

Since a lot of fashion happens in NY, I'm sure there are local companies that can be found.

"Right to Publicity" laws prohibit people from using another persons likeness on merchandise for sale without permission.

Political figures are exempt from right to publicity laws, which is why you may see lots of Bush or **** Cheney type t-shirts.

Celebrities often have "celebrity licensing agents" that handle the marketing of their name or image on merchandise. You would need to lookup the contact or agent for the celebrity to find out how to use their image and what the fees are.

Some companies have used celebrity images illegally, and try to fly under the radar. These companies can be sued by the celebrity (or their estate in the case of B.I.G/Tupac or other deceased celebs).

Just a friendly tip. Try not to write in ALL CAPS or with Each First Letter In The Word Capitalized because it makes posts harder to read

Old May 4th, 2006 May 4, 2006 8:03:53 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushidosoul
Hey Rod

With the "Right to Publicity" laws does that mean I can't use a Silhouette of an athlete/superstar such as mohammed ali or bruce lee?
If it's recognizable as the athlete/superstar, then you will always have the potential for trouble. Especially since there are big markets selling licensed bruce lee t-shirts and mohammed ali t-shirts.

Quote:
I've seen people sell tshirts that captures a movie still on ebay and have hundreds of customers. Would it be illegal for me to sell a tshirt that captures an athlete (i.e. a boxing fight still) in action?
Yes, even though you've probably seen it happen, it can still get you into legal trouble.

Some t-shirt stores are only a cease and desist away from pulling a design (a few members here have had that happen).

So even though you may see it done elsewhere, that's no guarantee that it's legal.

BTW, thanks for using the search to find this thread!

Old May 4th, 2006 May 4, 2006 5:34:46 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You must have went to tshirt college Rod....haha

Old May 4th, 2006 May 4, 2006 5:36:35 PM -   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Do you have any idea how much it would cost for licensing?

Old May 5th, 2006 May 5, 2006 8:23:30 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Do you have any idea how much it would cost for licensing?
I haven't a clue. I think it depends based on a few factors (how you will use the images, how many t-shirts will be printed, etc, etc).

You could probably find out about it in this website (or conference if you're near NYC):
http://www.licensingshow.com/licensi...on.cvn?eID=130

Old May 8th, 2006 May 8, 2006 9:38:21 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Well ok heres the thing about copyrights Rodney is very correct
so pay close atten: to that post.. Heres what happend to me.
We were using some images we capured from the net and since sales were
local and small nobody cared. I did get sick of the "But what about the copyright?") it seemed everyone was a expert!.
Well we sold to a local store and he placed the item in his window.BAM!
he got busted and all shirts were confiscated. Also the guys selling at the entrance of the stadium were busted.
So we stopped that image.
If you say print a beatle album cover and sold a few your prob ok,but if you
sell to a store or swapmeet with 20 copies you will draw intrest about the copyright. Any thing you do not produce yourself is already copyrighted the minute it is made .no need to register.Reg copyright means the Feds have a copy of when the artwork was created and by whom(great to have in case of suit). So what I'm saying is the more tee,s you print the more chance of trouble. I checked out some artists and basic price is $500 flat fee for a certain amount of time. But some guys won't even talk. Corp like disney will
make you pay and won't consider you unless you can deliver 10,000 units
Just be carefull use good judgement Don't be afraid to ask,and make sure you
get to now some artists and you will forget about using other peoples stuff.
good luck
fred

Old June 20th, 2017 Jun 20, 2017 11:40:41 PM -   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

You can call me: Juzer

I wanted to resell Tupac t-shirts and other products and wanted to ask if this is legal? I found some shirts on popular online sale sites... was wondering if i can get into legal trouble by setting up a website selling apparel and other products with Tupac written and pictures of him on those item?

Old June 21st, 2017 Jun 21, 2017 4:27:51 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jude
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

The dead celebrities heirs own the likeness to their images, names, voices, works, etc., and licensing agreements would need to struck prior to going to press.

I have, however, seen lots of people make money off recently departed celebrities on eBay, most recently Prince and Chris Cornell. I don't believe grieving families are scouring eBay to find and sue people making a quick buck, but to set up a website dedicated to Tupac would probably draw, in your case, unwanted attention.

The law varies from state to state. California and Tennessee are amongst half the states with statues on the books protecting vigorously this infringement (Elvis' widow lobbied hard for changes in TN) and in the case of CA, for up to 75 years. I believe Tupac is from the west coast, perhaps CA?

In any event, I would contact a copyright lawyer before setting up shop on someone's else's likeness.

HTH

This is a discussion about 2 Questions: relabeling & using famous images on t-shirts that was posted in the General T-Shirt Selling Discussion section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in