T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > General T-Shirt Selling Discussion

General T-Shirt Selling Category Sponsor

This is the catchall topic for the t-shirt selling discussion. Not sure where to post your question about t-shirt selling? Start here.

New Here & 2 the Tshirt biz, starting out, ?s on quality

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 13th, 2007 May 13, 2007 6:14:44 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: AJ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default New Here & 2 the Tshirt biz, starting out, ?s on quality

I was turned on to this site by a buddy who concentrates in the vinyl sticker / sign biz & have been dropping in & out. I am looking to start getting into the T shirt / Design / Promo biz on the side to start & hopefully develop my passion into a future. I have heard really great things & seen some awesome videos f/ Josh @ Imprintables (youtube - who lknow there was actually tons of usefull stuff there l) & have also really been reading over tons of Rodneys posts - thx!

I definately have the drive for it, the desire to suceed & the creative intrest - or at least I think so - lol. My buddy in the sign biz gets a lot of intrest for T's & doesnt want to expand his shop at this time & + I am active in several wakeboarding organazations & my younger brother is a mx club so the possibilities are endless.

I am looking to do a couple different things in my venture. I want to do some custom T work for bands, local clubs, schools & also eventually get into events. I also have a couple of my individual clothing lines I wanted to start up & designs & domain names I have been sitting on. Basically I guess I am looking to be the most versitile I can.

The quality of screen printing really draws me but from what I have read on this site the transfers & vinyl have also came a long way & also DTG. Since I am looking to startup in my home / spare bedroom a 4 color press / sinks / chemicals is not gonna work.

DTG:
I am concerned about the quality on these types of machines & also printing on darks. I have had some sample from TJet, Brother & others but honestly concerned with the qlty / graininess.

Heat Press / Cutters:
I believe I am leaning more towards the heat press & cuter world with the help of transfers. I have been seeing a lot of companies mentioned here make custom transfers for some really relative / good prices imo. I want to be able to produce some high quality ts & I think with the combonation / versatility of being able to create your own on vinyl or custom order from a shop is pretty cool. I am also intrested in the ability to do things for some of my wakeboard clubs like coozies, flags, floaters, etc.

The only thing I do is know is I feel I have to much creativity / drive & want to be hands on to not try this. Can anyone who has worked with both of these mediums offer any advice? DTG & HeatPress world? Although I am concerned with qty & effort to produce Ts / items quality is the leading factor in my decision that is currently up in the air.

I wanted to start some spreadsheets with items I am going to need & see the LCE has a great post that I will be relying on if I go the HeatPress way.

Thanks in advance & sorry for all the details

A

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2007 May 13, 2007 6:41:16 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: New Here & 2 the Tshirt biz, starting out, ?s on quality

Sounds like you have alot going on and alot that you want to do.

If you are looking at small and large orders then there a couple ways of doing and keep the quality. With the large orders outsource them to a local screenprinter, look around for the best in town, one that cares about the quailty as well.

For small orders I would believe the heat press, plastisol transfers would be the way to go with those if you have more then say two colors going on.

Vinyl and vinyl cutter might be the way to go with a one or two color design.

If you are just starting out I do not think a DTG is the way to go UNLESS you know that you are going to be SURE of huge orders and even then I might go with a screenprinter for that. I would spend my money on heat press, cup press, hat press and vinyl cutter.

Old May 15th, 2007 May 15, 2007 12:19:51 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Thanked 6,032 Times in 3,228 Posts

Default Re: New Here & 2 the Tshirt biz, starting out, ?s on quality

Quote:
Can anyone who has worked with both of these mediums offer any advice? DTG & HeatPress world?
You can find DTG specific advice and experiences posted in our DTG section of the forum.

If you've tried the quality and seen prints, then you already know whether it will work for you or not

Same with heat transfers. Once you see some quality prints, you'll be able to decide whether or not it's good enough for your needs.

People have had success using both methods, so "quality" is going to a relative term, since some people are fine with DTG prints, some are fine with heat transfers, some love dye sub, etc.

Once you figure out which YOU love and which you think your customers will prefer (from seeing sample prints), you'll be able to figure out which fits your needs.

You also have to figure out if you want to just create designs or if you want to do it all yourself (including the printing). Sometimes doing it all yourself isn't the best way.

This is a discussion about New Here & 2 the Tshirt biz, starting out, ?s on quality that was posted in the General T-Shirt Selling Discussion section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in