I contacted 200 stores across the country via the postal mail. Have you done this? - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > General T-Shirt Selling Discussion

General T-Shirt Selling Category Sponsor

This is the catchall topic for the t-shirt selling discussion. Not sure where to post your question about t-shirt selling? Start here.

I contacted 200 stores across the country via the postal mail. Have you done this?

Like Tree5Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 27th, 2012 May 27, 2012 6:00:34 PM -   #16 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

Default Re: I contacted 200 stores across the country via the postal mail. Have you done this?

I think its a great start, but it will take much more work to get to where you want to be. Have you looked at going to the shows that buyers attend such as magic show? This is a show where most large companies will make their purchases for the future seasons, and its a great place to network with other vendors, get feedback as to how they do it, and to also interact with buyers.

Here is some constructive criticism. I took a look at your website, and although it looks nice, there are a few things that I immediately noticed. On the first Tee page I went to, the first photo box had a no photo yet in the image window. Big companies as well as small will notice these small things. You also had many pages with items not even added to them yet. Hide those pages until you have the merchandise listed. Its best not to have them at all, then to have a button to click only to find nothing is there. My immediate response as I kept clicking pages with nothing on them, was I wanted to leave your site. Make sure your website is as professional as the line sheets and such you have sent out. Call each company and ask for their buyers department. Then speak to the buyers and ask how you might be able to get a sample of your amazing product to them. People connect on a personal basis. You are more likely to make sales walking in and talking to buyers, showing them your products, and making it personal, then by simply mailing out sales packets.

Don't get me wrong, I think what you have done is commendable and I will be interested to see how it turns out, but also follow up, make sure the buyers get your packets. I have to agree with Kimura, that if they are being sent to the stores themselves chances of them getting to the buyers are very slim. Call corporate offices, and find out the buyers info and send them to them personally. But you might do much better going in person bringing samples of your items, and showing them what you are selling, rather then sending out mass mailings of packets. You may not be able to visit as many stores this way, but you get to talk in person, one on one and make an impression this way, they can feel the product, see the product, see the printing style and not just an image. Good luck with your business and I hope nothing but success for you. I do love your optimism.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2012 May 27, 2012 7:34:01 PM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: I contacted 200 stores across the country via the postal mail. Have you done this?

I think you are doing an awesome thing for yourself by being savvy enough to do this. This is going to sound kind of bad, and I'm kind of a blunt person...but you really need to make your designs stick out and unique. I just don't (personally) see anything that's going to make a store like Pac Sun etc., that probably get inquiries every day want to jump on this. If you PROVED you had a solid audience already in place by sending sales data sheets, Google analytic reports etc.,..then maybe. I really hope you don't take what I say as something bad, it's simply meant as constructive criticism.

Old May 27th, 2012 May 27, 2012 9:34:33 PM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Honestly, the stuff I see on Pacsun website is ridiculously stupid. If pacsun is willing to sell crap like that to teenagers, then surely my design, my brand in particular Dateolicious and Cult Corrupt should fit in quite nicely and sell. I checked out my competition such as Famous Stars and straps, Young and Reckless, Rebel 8, Zoo York, etc. and I personally would not buy any of what they are offering. To sums things up, I can't design anything worst than what they are offering. So I got a chance. Haha.

Examples:

Last edited by PeeWeeMan; May 27th, 2012 at 09:54 PM..

Old May 27th, 2012 May 27, 2012 9:37:44 PM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hey Sunny, thanks for the advice. I will look into what you suggested.

The Following User Says Thank You to PeeWeeMan For This Useful Post:
sunnydayz (May 29th, 2012)
Old May 27th, 2012 May 27, 2012 9:52:35 PM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWeeMan
Honestly, the stuff I see on Pacsun website is ridiculously stupid. If pacsun is willing to sell crap like that to teenagers, then surely my design, my brand in particular Dateolicious and Cult Corrupt should fit in quite nicely and sell. I checked out my competition such as Famous Stars and straps, Young and Reckless, Rebel 8, Zoo York, etc. and I personally would not buy any of what they are offering. To sums things up, I can't design anything worst than what they are offering. So I got a chance. Haha.
Well to be fair Famous has a pro skater founder, for skaters. One that had a pretty big pop following for a while. That is going to sell regardless. I don't know anything about those other brands.
Which, btw...UGH! I see all these names like zoo york etc., and as I'm trying to name my site now, if I had thought of that I would've dismissed it haha. Shows how far my advice should be taken. lol

Old May 28th, 2012 May 28, 2012 8:26:25 AM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Remember there is a difference between being confident and being too aggressive. Your attitude comes off far more as the latter. Just having this thread on the internet is hurting your sales. Your thinly veiled curse words earlier in the thread and calling Pacsun stupid above will pretty much destroy your reputation. If anyone actually does look up your branding and comes across this thread, and sees how you speak about companies you're hoping to do business with, not only will they never look your way again, they will probably share it with competitors they have a friendly relationship with if anyone brings up your name.
mikehoran17 likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fenrir For This Useful Post:
KabirC (May 30th, 2012)
Old May 28th, 2012 May 28, 2012 8:43:09 AM -   #22 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

i wouldn't have chosen zoo york for my name, either, because it doesn't fit, but i like the name anyway.

heh heh. you know what i would do for a dating tee? i've thought about this idea for a 'dating' site using smartphones, where you fill out your requirements and personality profile, which is assigned some number based on those things, and if someone nearby is in a certain range of your classification, some app alerts you, gives you their stats, whatever. not sure if that's possible, just a fun thought. so, if i did a shirt, i'd probably put the same number on it, make it look like a jersey number. just a weird idea i sometimes get.

oh, how is that the only totally free dating site? plenty of fish is free, too.

Old May 28th, 2012 May 28, 2012 9:02:18 AM -   #23 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Pacsun is not the end all be all of online/brick and mortar retailers. In a capitalistic society that we find our selves in, MONEY IS WHAT ONLY MATTERS. The U.S. borrows money from CHINA. Our present and future economic, military, geopolitical enemy. Why? MONEY. All morals, about human rights, etc are of no consequence. American companies ship jobs overseas, why? MONEY. All morals about making sure the home front is maintain is of no consequence. So your high morals about "bad mouthing" someone I wish to work with is moot. Get with the program dude!

Lastly, I did not denigrate Pacsun. All I stated, that some of the items being sold are stupid. Meaning of no originality or specialty to them.

"I LOVE PACSUN. They are the best in the world." - Peeweeman

"The only thing that matters, is MONEY" - Kevin O'leary - SHARK TANK

Last edited by PeeWeeMan; May 28th, 2012 at 09:27 AM..

Old May 28th, 2012 May 28, 2012 9:39:29 AM -   #24 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

ah, i stand corrected then. it never used to be that way.

well, i guess when you offer over 900 tee shirts, there's bound to be some that someone doesn't like.

back in the 60's, i believe it was, the major world economies were intertwined as a prevention for war. the theory is if one economy is utterly obliterated, the enemy's economy will collapse, too. as china becomes more dependent on a capitalist economic model, their survival becomes even more reliant on economies such as ours firing on most of its cylinders. we're not likely to become involved in a direct war with china anytime soon, and that threat would be almost nil were it not for north korea. i would venture to guess that before we go into direct and open conflict with china, there would be an internal conflict between the ROC and PRC. not sure what a chinese civil war or revolution would entail, but it'd have a profound effect on the world economy.

so, i would say that the goal of money is power. in the right hands, that's a good thing. no economic system in the world eliminates poverty or corruption. eliminate the entire concept of money altogether, and that wouldn't change a person's lust for power and corruptability. if it was money, it would be something else that would be the root of all evil, lol.

pacsun isn't my thing, but they seem to be doing good. for that reason, i think a place like that is worth noting what's working for them and why.

Old May 29th, 2012 May 29, 2012 6:31:43 AM -   #25 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

kimura-mma's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Tim
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,831 Times in 1,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWeeMan
MONEY IS WHAT ONLY MATTERS.
Agreed.

So unless your brand has a proven sales history or major marketing/sponsorships/endorsements/investors, then it's just not worth the money that major retailers are looking for.

I know you are passionate about your brand and designs. But it takes more than that to be a supplier to major retailers.

From time to time, we all look at shirts being sold at these store and think, "I can do better than this." But the reality is, there is so much more behind the brands than just the shirts and designs. So look into those brands and try to find out why they are being stocked by major retailers. Then start thinking of ways you can compete at that level.

I hope you get the response you're looking for. But if you don't, it's not because of the brand or designs. It's everything else that goes into being a major retail supplier.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kimura-mma For This Useful Post:
LimeBomb (June 1st, 2012), sunnydayz (May 29th, 2012)
Old May 29th, 2012 May 29, 2012 6:36:08 AM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hey Kimura, thanks for the great advice once again. Will do....

The Following User Says Thank You to PeeWeeMan For This Useful Post:
sunnydayz (May 29th, 2012)
Old May 29th, 2012 May 29, 2012 6:39:30 AM -   #27 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hotbox, it cost me roughly 400 dollars. What I did was went to various online brands and looked at their dealer list. I then copied the address onto a spread sheet and printed them out to be placed on the envelopes. I then went to Kinkos and printed all the documents I created at 10 cents per copy and mailed them off. That's basically it.

Old May 29th, 2012 May 29, 2012 6:42:18 AM -   #28 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Royce (not Roy)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Thanked 1,044 Times in 932 Posts

One of the reasons a brand get stocked is often the retailer has little or no risk....Some brands will give a retail outlet 90, 120 or more days to pay invoices.....They may also offer a buyback...This is possible when you have production costs that are well below your wholesale prices...Not possible if you have little margin to work with....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to royster13 For This Useful Post:
kimura-mma (May 29th, 2012), sunnydayz (May 29th, 2012)
Old May 29th, 2012 May 29, 2012 3:46:53 PM -   #29 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

Also remember Pacsun is not only successful just because they sell merchandise. They sponsor many events in skate boarding, surfing and many other sports, like snowboarding for the Olympics. Can you be a sponsor for a large scale event? There are many things that make them successful, not just the tees themselves. They are a world renowned brand that took them many many years to accomplish what they have. If its possible to get one great athlete to wear your gear, or your name on their gear, that would be a great start. Think outside the box on other ways to promote your brand so others see it and know exactly who you are. This is what makes a brand, and makes others want to wear it, being a part of something that everyone else is.
cdbell10 likes this.

Old May 30th, 2012 May 30, 2012 2:16:03 AM -   #30 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I really don't understand everyone's pessimism here Especially before we know the results. So can you please update if you had any feedback?

Anyhow, congrats. I think it's a great attitude - the more companies you approach, the more chanches to be noticed.

This is a discussion about I contacted 200 stores across the country via the postal mail. Have you done this? that was posted in the General T-Shirt Selling Discussion section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in