T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > General T-Shirt Selling Discussion

General T-Shirt Selling Category Sponsor

This is the catchall topic for the t-shirt selling discussion. Not sure where to post your question about t-shirt selling? Start here.

Stressing ^need to make a Tee fabric decision, please help?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 4:21:54 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Bee
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question Stressing ^need to make a Tee fabric decision, please help?

OK all,

Aside from like 2 other people on this site, i am doing kids/infant tees and onesies. [don;t run! ]

I have looked at many tees and am stumped at which one to choose. I understand quality matters but not so-so much with kids as they grow out of stuff unlike adults.

I can't afford the 144 mins of American Apparel right now, and so got some samples from Royal Apparel. I really like the fit, have yet to wash and dry them to see how they are after at least 2 washes. A few people commented that they were not too keen on them, some said they were very similar to American Apparel. They offer relabeling at a very low minumum which i really, really need [no go on local relabeler in the MD area].

Any good tests i can do to see the quality besides, washing the bejesus out of them? I'm looking at the hem for frays too? Am i missing so obvious things, what to do - what to do?

Thanks in advance,
Irene

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 5:56:51 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: John

Default Re: Stressing ^need to make a Tee fabric decision, please help?

Is the real problem that you must have your own label in the garments and that puts you into quantities that you can't afford and/or narrows your selection for vendors.

Most people will judge the quality of how the garment looks and feels at the time of purchase. Your hands and eyes will answer the quality question.

Yes you don't want the sleeves to fall off at the second washing, or the red shirt is now pink. A couple washes should answer that question.

Go with your first impressions of the garments, they will be the same as your customers.

Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 6:12:46 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,029 Times in 3,228 Posts

I would keep searching for blanks that you really love. Relabeling should be the easy part AFTER you get the shirts (doesn't have to be done when you buy the shirts).

Try out Bella.com's kid's blanks. Kavio has some as well. I saw lots of vendors at the ISS tradeshow that were selling kids blanks. Nice ones.

Once you get the blanks, call around to local screen printers or seamstresses to see if they can do relabeling. Clothinglabels4u.com also does relabeling.

Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 6:55:30 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Bee
T-Shirt Fan

John - yes you're right, that is my problem. I really want to have my own labels in the tees, looks good especially if any stores are interested.

On 1st impressions i really like them, just kind of worried from feedback of them from others - maybe they see something i don't.

Rodney - i'll try out those other vendors, but i cannot find a relabeler in my area, i'll keep trying. I tried Lisa at clothingabels4u, she's very nice but super busy and put me in touch with another person, who did not think she could do it and make it look professional for me.

The search continues...

Thanks!
Irene

Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 7:17:36 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Alex

Not sure of the quality but these rabbit skins look cute. I'm going to purchase some to see how they look/feel.

LAT Sportswear

Alex

Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 7:43:09 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Maxine

Just last week I picked up some of the infant Rabbit Skin plain t-shirts and Bella onsies. The Rabbit Skin tees looked fine to me. They look to be well made and feel like an "average" tee. Not overyly rough and not really soft.

The Bella onsie, now that one is just sooooooo soft. I showed both to several others to get their opinions. No one had anything negative at all to say about the Rabbit Skin tee. But everyone just kept feeling the Bella onsie and commenting on how soft is was... and I could just hear the wheels turning in their head as if they were trying to figure out who had a baby that size that they could buy one for. :-)

Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 8:40:48 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Alex

Thanks Maxine for the info, Bella is also on my list to try out. I often hear good things about all of Bella's line.

Alex

Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 8:58:43 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I understand quality matters but not so-so much with kids as they grow out of stuff unlike adults.
I'd do some market research to find out if that's the prevailing attitude, rather than assuming that.

I have no idea how the market as a whole feels, but I know my sister would definitely disagree with that. For one there's that whole thing of baby clothes constantly getting dirty and being washed (so they take a lot more wear and tear in their six months than other clothes would), but more importantly there's the kid's comfort. Babies can't pick and choose the clothes they wear, and they don't understand the idea of wearing something uncomfortable because it looks good or didn't cost much. Some people consider quality extremely important in baby clothes, because the baby's comfort is first consideration.

Plus kids grow out of stuff... but then it gets passed around. Plenty of stuff ends up with more than one owner, so if it can last a while so much the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I can't afford the 144 mins of American Apparel right now
Do they have a 144 minimum specifically on their baby range? (I know there's no minimum on standard adult tees, but that may vary from product to product)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Any good tests i can do to see the quality besides, washing the bejesus out of them? I'm looking at the hem for frays too? Am i missing so obvious things, what to do - what to do?
That's about it... wash them a lot, include some tests washing them how you would expect your customers to and not necessarily what the care label says.

Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 9:09:16 PM -   #9 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jasonda

In addition to washing, you might stretch out the collars of the shirts a little and see if they spring back after a wash. Babies and toddlers have pretty big heads, so the collars will stretch out on cheaper shirts after a while.

Old January 24th, 2007 Jan 24, 2007 3:38:46 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Bee
T-Shirt Fan

Question Re: Stressing ^need to make a Tee fabric decision, please help?

Thanks everyone!
I guess the case 144 min per style, colour and size & in a large volume, to get the relabeling done there, they do sell by the dozen - which would be perfect if i can find a local person. I'm still looking as i don't want to rush it.

I agree about the constant washing, i have a 3 yr old, but i've never handed-down tee'.

LAT Sportwear has great colours, but they don't have a cute girls fit unless i missed it?
Is Bella the same at LAT, i see they have one toddler fit, i guess i'd need to order it to see how it looks on little girls unless anyone can tell. The fit of the Bella Girl Baby Rib Short Sleeve Crew Neck T-Shirts is what i am looking for in toddlers.

Great point everyone! I'll keep going...

Irene

Old January 24th, 2007 Jan 24, 2007 11:36:25 AM -   #11 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jasonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
LAT Sportwear has great colours, but they don't have a cute girls fit unless i missed it?
Do young girls really need a special fit? Honestly, I don't think there is much difference in the body shape of very young children (under 3-4).

Old January 24th, 2007 Jan 24, 2007 12:05:14 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Jose
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
John - yes you're right, that is my problem. I really want to have my own labels in the tees, looks good especially if any stores are interested.
Check out Insta Graphics. They were at the LB show. They produce really good pressable labels. If your quantities are small, you could do it yourself!

Their web site's been down for a few days. Keep trying.

Old January 24th, 2007 Jan 24, 2007 1:03:38 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,029 Times in 3,228 Posts

If you have a heat press, you can get labels printed from Imprintables.com that can go in the neckline of the shirt. I saw some neat ones at the tradeshow that were only about .40 cents each. Ask Josh about it.

Old January 24th, 2007 Jan 24, 2007 8:57:55 PM -   #14 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Spot Prints
Their web site's been down for a few days. Keep trying.
It's up at the moment.

Old January 24th, 2007 Jan 24, 2007 9:28:43 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Wizard

Continental and TQM Apparel have nice infant and toddler lines.

Continental-usa.com
tqmapparelgroup.com

This is a discussion about Stressing ^need to make a Tee fabric decision, please help? that was posted in the General T-Shirt Selling Discussion section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in