Making stone washed denim - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Find Wholesale Blank T-Shirts and Other Imprintable Products

Wholesale Blank Garments Category Sponsor
Discuss the wholesale blanks industry: Factory direct, custom labels. You can also use this forum to locate a wide variety of wholesale products including t-shirts, hoodies, mousepads, coffee mugs and other imprintable products.

Making stone washed denim

Like Tree13Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 27th, 2019 Mar 27, 2019 1:33:47 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Bill
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Smile Making stone washed denim

For several years I have been buying stone washed, or acid washed denim biker shirts custom made for me. Frankly every batch seems to always have something wrong. Like a strange purple color, too washed out, dyed in lines, holes and so on.

They recently told me they will no longer make them as it is too hard to get them right. Soooo, I went online and studied up on all the videos on how to use bleach and/or pumice stones to make your own.

I have black denim biker shirts and am using those. My first one looks horrible. But my second one is looking pretty good, and I think with more fine tuning I can make my own!

So far I just put bleach in the wash and increased the amount till the shirt looked a nice faded charcoal color. I think I need to add pumice stones to get the look I really want, which is a more distressed look.

Does anyone here do stone or acid washing with denim, and if so would you be willing to share some advice? If I get it right I'm also going to do this with black denim vest. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2019 Apr 3, 2019 6:56:36 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Default Re: Making stone washed denim

I guess not many here do stone washing! I have been studying up on it the past few weeks, very hard to find real useful info on it. I now know you use pumice stones to stone wash denim.

You also can use bleach, but it often overdoes it. The newest way is to use perlite, the white stuff used for potting soil. Soaking and then drying it in bleach and tumbling the shirts in that so far has had the best results.

However a normal washer or dryer is really not big enough to do a good job. I'm thinking of getting a cement mixer and altering it a bit to make a tumbler out of it. The whole process is a pain and time consuming.

Old April 3rd, 2019 Apr 3, 2019 7:45:26 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

i could not find anything more to add

in my days in the engineering lab we use to do l.a. abrasion tests on aggregate material,
basically a large rock tumbler with round steel stones of a known weight
just another option to look for that may be cheap used,
esp. if the electronics are fried, but the tumbler and motor still work

check this link

The Following User Says Thank You to into the T For This Useful Post:
BikerBill (April 3rd, 2019)

Old April 3rd, 2019 Apr 3, 2019 7:57:27 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by into the T
i could not find anything more to add

in my days in the engineering lab we use to do l.a. abrasion tests on aggregate material,
basically a large rock tumbler with round steel stones of a known weight
just another option to look for that may be cheap used,
esp. if the electronics are fried, but the tumbler and motor still work

check this link
Thanks for the link. Yeah you can't find that much about the whole process even online. I found plenty of youtube videos of young people showing how to bleach denim, but that process goes too far and too much work for mass producing shirts.

They use enzymes to make distressed looking denim too, but again I can't find the right places that even sell it or how to use it. One thing I did discover is that using bleach I can make cool, soft grey shirts from black ones. Those would sell better than the black ones. Pic shows the same colored shirts before and after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg biker-shirts.jpg (379.1 KB, 8 views)
into the T likes this.

Old April 3rd, 2019 Apr 3, 2019 8:20:36 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Ryan
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I used to make distressed blanks for my own projects by batch over-dying and using a dremel mounted in a vice to add the distressing.
You can also get a sanding sponge and do some minor distressing pre-wash. After the washing the distressing will look much more natural and would take your bleaching well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Industryps For This Useful Post:
BikerBill (April 3rd, 2019)
Old April 3rd, 2019 Apr 3, 2019 8:33:10 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Industryps
I used to make distressed blanks for my own projects by batch over-dying and using a dremel mounted in a vice to add the distressing.
You can also get a sanding sponge and do some minor distressing pre-wash. After the washing the distressing will look much more natural and would take your bleaching well.
Hi there,

Thanks for the info. One problem I run into is that I need the shirts exactly the way I need them, with an overall stone wash look that matches the product picture. Often even between batches they come out looking different.

The pics below are how they should look. A bit too much bleach and they will be too light or have spots of un-even areas. Hard to get right consistently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg denim-biker-shirts-2.jpg (416.9 KB, 7 views)

Old April 3rd, 2019 Apr 3, 2019 8:38:46 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Ah, yeah I get that. In my case I had the same issue. I was able to get some consistency, but not all alike.
What I did to mange customers expectations was to have a disclaimer on the website I was selling from, and also had this info printed up on some hangtags and attached them to the garments.
The disclaimer was something along the lines of " Each of these garments is hand-produced and is unique. Due to the processes involved in making this garment, some variation occurs, and is not to be considered a defect, but a natural characteristic of the design."
When I did this, I found that people actually liked the fact that no two garments were the same, and they seemed to appreciate the work that went into it more, knowing it was all done by me, rather than a pre-made blank.
into the T likes this.

Old April 3rd, 2019 Apr 3, 2019 8:39:01 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Ah, yeah I get that. In my case I had the same issue. I was able to get some consistency, but not all alike.
What I did to mange customers expectations was to have a disclaimer on the website I was selling from, and also had this info printed up on some hangtags and attached them to the garments.
The disclaimer was something along the lines of " Each of these garments is hand-produced and is unique. Due to the processes involved in making this garment, some variation occurs, and is not to be considered a defect, but a natural characteristic of the design."
When I did this, I found that people actually liked the fact that no two garments were the same, and they seemed to appreciate the work that went into it more, knowing it was all done by me, rather than a pre-made blank.

Old April 3rd, 2019 Apr 3, 2019 9:29:01 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Good idea, thanks. I'll keep testing and see what I come up with. I was thinking of spraying the shirts with a bleach mix all over, then once it starts to show throw them in water and see how they look.

If I can do it right I have black denim vest I can turn into stone washed look too. Anyways thanks all.

Old April 4th, 2019 Apr 4, 2019 8:33:09 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

So after trying around 4 different ways I have found what I think is the best way to get my shirts to look the way I want. You take perlite, which are small, light pebble sized lava stones, and soak them in bleach overnight.

You let them dry out completely. Then you put them dry with no water into a container with your shirts and tumble them for an hour or two, depending on how much you want them distressed.

I tried it in a 5 gallon bucket put in my dryer. The result looks good, but I need something bigger to get an overall consistent look on the shirts. I think a cement mixer would do the job well. So that is my next step.

Old April 4th, 2019 Apr 4, 2019 8:51:57 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I found that same method, thanks for the info on it working!
I am confused about one thing though- so you put the stones and garments into a 5gal plastic bucket and put the whole thing in a regular tumble dryer?

Old April 4th, 2019 Apr 4, 2019 9:03:32 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
I found that same method, thanks for the info on it working!
I am confused about one thing though- so you put the stones and garments into a 5gal plastic bucket and put the whole thing in a regular tumble dryer?
Yeah, what I did to test it was put maybe 1/2 cup of stones and just one shirt in the bucket, sealed it good, then wrapped the bucket in a blanket. I put 3 pillows in the dryer too and used NO heat. All the stuff made the bucket stay in place.

But it's not big enough to let the shirt get the full effect of the stones. Spots on the shirt looked great, while the rest of the shirt was still normal.

So I think the shirts will get a nice overall treatment if they are in something bigger to allow them to really tumble and get the stones all over them. I think a cement mixer is about the only thing I can think of I can buy locally and not cost a ton.
Industryps likes this.

Old April 4th, 2019 Apr 4, 2019 9:16:38 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

To add to what I said above, if you got an old dryer, fixed the barrel inside so that it was solid and did not have holes, you could use that. The inside would be big enough I think. Just have to seal the heat holes and stuff, do some custom work to it.
Industryps likes this.

Old 1 Week Ago Jul 8, 2019 5:32:54 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I wanted to share my latest stone washing experiment. I have been trying many different methods and I have finally got it down almost right.

I bought a cement mixer for 300 bucks. It is a plastic drum style, electric motor. It is very quiet so I don't bother anyone. I soaked perlite for 24 hours in bleach, then spread them out and dried for a few days.

I took a black shirt, same kind you see in the pic below on the left, and put it through 2 washes with bleach added. You have to experiment to get it just right. Too much and it will turn a brown or white!

I then dried it fully in the drier. Then I put it in the mixer with the bleached perlite for around 30 minutes. After that I washed it twice as it's hard to get all the fine stone particles off.

Next I put in the dryer and dried. The result is what you see in the pic to the right. It looks almost the same as the ones I currently buy overseas made in commercial stone washing machines.

Plain perlite not soaked in bleach does nothing. Not unless you run it for 10 hours. It is soaking them in bleach that does the trick. I still need to fine tune what I do.

More stones in the mixer makes it all work better and faster. Now I need to ramp it all up so I can do batches of 20 or more shirts at a time. I bet black denim vest would work well with this system also. Plus jeans of course.

Anyways hope this helps a few people who like to do this kind of stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stone-washed-denim-shirts1.jpg (356.9 KB, 6 views)

Old 1 Week Ago Jul 9, 2019 6:41:20 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Luis

I used to do denim garment with stonewash finish but I took them to a laundry that does those finish.will be very hard to get all the time the same finish I could say that is always a 10% variations withing each lot and is not just for the process ,could be also for the fabric each lot of fabric is different too.What I see now is that denim manufacturers are using a laser process to get those differents finishes,instead of chemicals or rocks the results are more consistent about evenness
into the T likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to linapparel For This Useful Post:
BikerBill (1 Week Ago)

This is a discussion about Making stone washed denim that was posted in the Find Wholesale Blank T-Shirts and Other Imprintable Products section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in