Making stone washed denim - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Find Wholesale Blank T-Shirts and Other Imprintable Products

Wholesale Blank Garments Category Sponsor
Discuss the wholesale blanks industry: Factory direct, custom labels. You can also use this forum to locate a wide variety of wholesale products including t-shirts, hoodies, mousepads, coffee mugs and other imprintable products.

Making stone washed denim

Like Tree13Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 1 Week Ago Jul 9, 2019 8:37:03 AM -   #16 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Making stone washed denim

looks good bill, nice work!

strictly form a gardener's perspective,
perlite always bubbled back up to the surface and stuck to everything (kept a static charge?)
so we always used vermiculite, although it may break down into finer particles
either way we used to buy them in 110L bags, cheap compared to the small bags

The Following User Says Thank You to into the T For This Useful Post:
BikerBill (1 Week Ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago Jul 9, 2019 1:10:08 PM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Small pebbles (2-3mm) and a little bit of bleach will do. The more bleach you use the faster the result will be, but also less controllable. In any case, write down the amounts and time to get consistent results. Neutralize with in hydrogen peroxide solution, then rinse with water and you are done.

The Following User Says Thank You to TABOB For This Useful Post:
BikerBill (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago Jul 10, 2019 6:55:03 AM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Bill
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TABOB
Small pebbles (2-3mm) and a little bit of bleach will do. The more bleach you use the faster the result will be, but also less controllable. In any case, write down the amounts and time to get consistent results. Neutralize with in hydrogen peroxide solution, then rinse with water and you are done.
Thank you for your advice. Are you saying you can use normal pebbles, as in rocks, soaked in bleach? I would assume solid rock does not take the bleach as well as perlite?

As for neutralize in hydrogen peroxide solution, is simply washing in plain water several times enough? I suppose I can find bulk bottles of hydrogen peroxide, but how much to use in a washing machine? Thanks again.

Old 1 Week Ago Jul 10, 2019 11:32:39 AM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerBill
Thank you for your advice. Are you saying you can use normal pebbles, as in rocks, soaked in bleach? I would assume solid rock does not take the bleach as well as perlite?

As for neutralize in hydrogen peroxide solution, is simply washing in plain water several times enough? I suppose I can find bulk bottles of hydrogen peroxide, but how much to use in a washing machine? Thanks again.
Yes normal beach or river pebbles work well and are reusable. Just put enough of them and keep the rotation slow.

The color fading is actually done by the bleach, not the pebbles . If you want a more distressed look around the edges, you can sand them (the shirts, not the pebbles) with 600 to 1200 grit sandpaper.

The hydrogen peroxide solution will depend on how much chlorine bleach you have used, and which concentration of hydrogen peroxide you have. If you have the 30% concentration (cheaper) then you probably need just 3ml per 10 litres of water.
Removing bleach completely from the shirts is nearly impossible... Neutralizing is faster and safer. It is the proper way, and it stops the bleaching reaction when you want it to stop, so you can get more consistent results. You can control how much fading you want this way.
You can also use ascorbic acid instead of hydrogen peroxide. It comes in powder form and you need around a table spoon per 10 litres of water.

Last edited by TABOB; 1 Week Ago at 11:37 AM..

The Following User Says Thank You to TABOB For This Useful Post:
BikerBill (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago Jul 10, 2019 7:02:28 PM -   #20 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

i know up here in canuckistan the gov't has deemed 30% h2o2 too dangerous for us common taxpayers
but when it was available, we would hit up the hairdresser supply stores for 5gallon jugs (cheap, cheap)

Old 1 Week Ago Jul 10, 2019 7:20:15 PM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by into the T
i know up here in canuckistan the gov't has deemed 30% h2o2 too dangerous for us common taxpayers
but when it was available, we would hit up the hairdresser supply stores for 5gallon jugs (cheap, cheap)
I've been searching all day and most of it only has 3% or less. The few I have found that have 32% and more cost around $150.00 for a 5 gallon can. I suppose that would last a long time however.

Old 6 Days Ago Jul 11, 2019 2:39:17 PM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by into the T
Shipping is the problem... you can still buy the stuff though
https://www.purehealthdiscounts.com/h2o2.htm
https://www.laballey.com/collections/hydrogen-peroxide

Last edited by TABOB; 6 Days Ago at 02:45 PM..

Old 6 Days Ago Jul 11, 2019 2:45:00 PM -   #23 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TABOB
Shipping is the problem... you can still buy the stuff though
https://www.purehealthdiscounts.com/h2o2.htm
I think I'm going to go with the ascorbic acid. It is only $35.00 bucks for a 5 pound bag and shipping is cheap.

Old 3 Days Ago Jul 14, 2019 11:37:15 AM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I ran into a new problem today. I made more bleached stones as it took a long time to make my first one. I put them all in the mixer, added 5 shirts. I left it for only 5 minutes tops.

When I came back the shirts were already too far gone, like white! So today I did just one shirt standing right there. 2 minutes later I took out the shirt and spots on it are too white.

I assume the stones have too much bleach in some spots and as soon as they touch the shirt they turn it too far white. Sigh. I think I'm about to give up.

Old 1 Day Ago Jul 16, 2019 3:14:05 PM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

So after checking what I did wrong I have discovered I did not let the stones dry out enough. Even though they seemed dry, after having them sit in the mixer and turning it once I see a light layer of fine stones stuck to the back.

So, you need to really let them dry out a long time, like a week or more. Otherwise as soon as those moist stones hit the shirt it's going to turn it white in those spots.

I will let them all dry another week (I'm in Florida so things dry fast outside) and try another shirt.

This is a discussion about Making stone washed denim that was posted in the Find Wholesale Blank T-Shirts and Other Imprintable Products section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in