No Licensing Needed Wholesale T-Shirt Suppliers? - Page 8 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Find Wholesale Blank T-Shirts and Other Imprintable Products

Wholesale Blank Garments Category Sponsor
Discuss the wholesale blanks industry: Factory direct, custom labels. You can also use this forum to locate a wide variety of wholesale products including t-shirts, hoodies, mousepads, coffee mugs and other imprintable products.

No Licensing Needed Wholesale T-Shirt Suppliers?

Like Tree18Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 10th, 2013 Nov 10, 2013 12:01:47 PM -   #106 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: No Licensing Needed Wholesale T-Shirt Suppliers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by splathead
No. What state are you in?
IL.

How would I go around getting a license? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2013 Nov 10, 2013 12:12:48 PM -   #107 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: grey
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Generally, a 'reseller's license' is just another name for a 'sales tax ID' which is given from your particular state.

Old November 11th, 2013 Nov 11, 2013 9:00:24 PM -   #108 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

You can call me: Jennifer

If you are in the state of California, it can be done online.

Old November 11th, 2013 Nov 11, 2013 9:03:12 PM -   #109 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

So a bit of contradicting information here. Anybody want to solve the mystery?

Old November 12th, 2013 Nov 12, 2013 4:06:24 AM -   #110 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

It's really not a mystery. Most wholesalers need to know you are able to charge appropriate sales tax on your end product so they can sell to you without charging sales tax. Most states require that this been kept on file.

Larger wholesalers do not want to deal with individuals who just want a few blanks for small projects. They are only in the wholesale business, not retail business and don't want to be collecting sales tax at all. There are distributors that cater to businesses/individuals that need smaller quantities without sales tax IDs. Both types are listed on the left of this forum screen.

Sales tax ID's (or reseller's license) are issued by each state. Even if your state doesn't charge sales tax on clothing, wholesalers will still want to see you have a license to set up an account. Most states have the capacity to apply for such a license online. Generally there is no or minimal fee for such a license and you will then have to file periodic reports depending on your volume of sales.

When you apply for your Sales Tax ID, they will ask for you SS # or FED EIN ... so if you don't want to use your SS#, you should get a EIN first. Once you have a sales tax ID, it is should be easy to set up accounts with most wholesalers.

Last edited by greyhorsewoman; November 12th, 2013 at 04:11 AM..

Old November 12th, 2013 Nov 12, 2013 6:30:45 AM -   #111 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Thanked 2,563 Times in 2,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by naruto3
So a bit of contradicting information here. Anybody want to solve the mystery?
https://www.t-shirtforums.com/busines...ml#post1207146
Danchlife likes this.

Old November 12th, 2013 Nov 12, 2013 7:57:28 AM -   #112 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: David

way to go SPLATHEAD solved the situation smartly....

Old November 12th, 2013 Nov 12, 2013 8:56:57 AM -   #113 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

And for anybody NOT in IL ... just google the same thing as splathead did and substitute your state.

Old April 25th, 2014 Apr 25, 2014 2:06:25 PM -   #114 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Preston

In my opinion, it's best to obtain your seller's license. It will save future headaches.
Danchlife likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to ptyarb For This Useful Post:
lben (April 26th, 2014)
Old April 30th, 2014 Apr 30, 2014 1:23:57 AM -   #115 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jay

Thanks for this post, very helpful

Old May 5th, 2014 May 5, 2014 3:06:00 PM -   #116 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Wow! now that was one heck of an emotional rollercoaster ride of comments. The points and topic shifted but stayed close to the objective while fires were put out almost as soon as they started.

What I really got out of this tread was this.

There are places out there that require a license simply to purchase their product.

However some require you to become a business before they will allow to buy from them. ergo the license.

Before selling anything you should know if weather or not your state requires you to charge a tax for the product you sell. and that paying this tax is not only important to the state that your in but to other business(even though your not sure if you want to become one because your are starting out and really have no way to test and see if your designs will be received well enough to be profitable.) because its only fair to start as others have by committing yourself completely to paying taxes because (now this is just a guess) one or two of your friends may have been overzealous about something you designed and told you they liked it. so you decide to become a business.

And now that you are a business the state will be looking for tax money (I'm guessing) in the range that a business should (grossly) be earning over some period of time whether you are profitable or not to be reported assessed and added to your entire income.

simply because you wanted a cheaper deal on shirts because your friends like your artwork.

as much as I would like to tell you that I'm not going to start that way I am( getting the licenses that is) but I did not know that the licenses were required to purchase shirts or to sell what you yourself make from the shirts.

To rise or fall I shall have no fear after doing it all I only regret that my version of all lacked information so my all was small.

I thank all of you for your info some of you I will be contacting about the licenses and the laws.

Old May 6th, 2014 May 6, 2014 3:39:30 AM -   #117 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

EVILEMANON,

Your synopsis is a bit confused. There are taxes, and then there are taxes.

When you create a new product to sell, it comes under the state sales tax law (as to whether it's a sales taxable item or not and at what rate). Whether you plan to be a hobby, small business, or large corporation, you are obligated to collect any necessary sales tax and submit to your state on a monthly, quarterly or yearly basis (depending on your volume). For most states, these "licenses" are free or available for a small fee. You don't need to be LLC or a corporation, you can apply for one as a sole proprietor. If and when you decide you are no longer in business, you simply file a final report and 'return' the license.

Now, sales tax only needs to be collected ONCE, when it is sold to the consumer. So, one of major reasons wholesalers request (require) a sales tax license from you before setting up accounts is that they are NOT in the retail business. They have set themselves up as strictly wholesalers, telling their state that everything they sell is NON TAXABLE and will be taxed by the purchaser at the time of sale. They prove that by keeping on file copies of the licenses from their purchasers.

This technically has NOTHING to do with state, federal or local tax on your business...though if you have a six figures flowing through your sales tax reports, I'd imagine you have something showing up there anyway!

Hobby (or start-up) income is supposed to be reported and qualified deductions can be taken up to total of that income, so NO, it doesn't have to impact your other income. Issues can come from "losses" charged against your other income if it doesn't appear you are trying to make a profitable business endeavor. Consulting an accountant, if you are not knowledgeable in this area, is a good idea.

So, if someone needs to buy a small quantity of shirts to see if anybody likes the designs, then getting the BEST prices isn't really necessary, since one isn't trying to run a 'profitable' business yet. There are some places to get them. Or are you? If so, set it up as a business .. get the licenses.
forwill likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to greyhorsewoman For This Useful Post:
EVILEMANON (May 6th, 2014)
Old May 6th, 2014 May 6, 2014 4:04:35 AM -   #118 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

thank you for that however starting out from zero in this a person who has never owned or ran any form of business only thinks of the profitably ergo how much they can make before investing their full time and resources into it. If it is found to show to be profitable the full investment and legal forms should be filled out and all legal steps taken for a legitimate business venture.
However this information is not common knowledge there for mistakes can and often times will be made.

the thought of competition (by asking someone who is in this business) sometimes leaves those with no venue like this forum without that information.

however since I have only been here a few days that information(even though the scenario I gave was a real one)was extremely valuable and I could have made that very mistake of jumping out here risking all the money time and effort that I have already personally put into this.

my understanding of sales tax is limited which is why I put that I would be contacting some of the people who posted comments in the thread. a few of them are in my state. and hopefully they will point me in the direction I need to go to help eliminate some of the leg work needed to become legitimate.

Old May 6th, 2014 May 6, 2014 5:01:38 AM -   #119 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: shelly

Hi BillM75, I've had good luck with blankshirtstore.com so they may be worth looking into.

Old May 14th, 2014 May 14, 2014 8:50:27 PM -   #120 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Might be off topic here but I'll ask anyway.
Does anyone know who supplies the likes of G Star or Hurley with their T-Shirts or do they actuyally manufacture their own. I love the style and feel of them and was looking for a supplier...

Cheers in advance

This is a discussion about No Licensing Needed Wholesale T-Shirt Suppliers? that was posted in the Find Wholesale Blank T-Shirts and Other Imprintable Products section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in