WATCH Your Humidity Level - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Epson SureColor DTG Printers
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Epson Brand SureColor garment printer owners.

WATCH Your Humidity Level

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By equipmentzone
  • 1 Post By equipmentzone

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old December 3rd, 2019 Dec 3, 2019 6:15:57 AM -   #1 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,075 Times in 922 Posts

Default WATCH Your Humidity Level

Just a reminder of one of the most important factors to keep your printer running well. It's the cold season in many parts of the country and we're all cranking up our heating systems to stay warm. The unintended consequence of that heated air is having a low to no humidity level in your building. Every brand of digital garment printers work best at a humidity level of 40% to 70% (50% is an optimal level).

You may create printing problems if you let the humidity level drop too low. This is the time to invest some money (very little) in a humidity gauge (hygrometer) to measure the humidity in your printer room. Digital ones can be found for $10 to $20. Also purchase a humidifier - room size units run around $100 at Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon, etc. (make sure it's an evaporative type - NOT a mist type). Use both to make sure you have proper humidity in your work space and you should have a trouble free winter.

This also holds true throughout the year in dry climates such as Arizona with "zero" humidity. Avoid problems - humidify to proper levels.

_

The Following User Says Thank You to equipmentzone For This Useful Post:
tbonesthreads (December 3rd, 2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2019 Dec 5, 2019 8:29:19 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Default Re: WATCH Your Humidity Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by equipmentzone
Just a reminder of one of the most important factors to keep your printer running well. It's the cold season in many parts of the country and we're all cranking up our heating systems to stay warm. The unintended consequence of that heated air is having a low to no humidity level in your building. Every brand of digital garment printers work best at a humidity level of 40% to 70% (50% is an optimal level).

You may create printing problems if you let the humidity level drop too low. This is the time to invest some money (very little) in a humidity gauge (hygrometer) to measure the humidity in your printer room. Digital ones can be found for $10 to $20. Also purchase a humidifier - room size units run around $100 at Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon, etc. (make sure it's an evaporative type - NOT a mist type). Use both to make sure you have proper humidity in your work space and you should have a trouble free winter.

This also holds true throughout the year in dry climates such as Arizona with "zero" humidity. Avoid problems - humidify to proper levels.

_

Here is a link to a large output humidifier that we recommend:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/AIRCARE-...-900/204765468

_
DTG Merch likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to equipmentzone For This Useful Post:
DTG Merch (December 5th, 2019)
Old December 5th, 2019 Dec 5, 2019 10:34:22 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

As someone new to the DTG game, having trouble with some initial prints, here in Arizona during the winter (hey, the perfect storm!!!)...

What would be the impact of low humidity on the equipment/print quality? I'm wondering if this is the issue I'm seeing or if I'm chasing a different ghost in my setup/process.

Old December 5th, 2019 Dec 5, 2019 11:32:48 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Everson
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Hello there, I hope you doing well today!

Id like to collaborate with a few comments on the question above.
I would say that the main issue with the environmental conditions would be the changes in the properties of the inks. Especially the white ink.

In a very simplified way: when is too cold/too dry the inks get thicker, resulting in loss of jetability and "clogged" printheads. My solution in here when is too cold; I place heat mats (these are small electric heat units normally used to warm up pets houses) under the ink barrels. I used to work with 20 litres barrels of ink. Also, I place styrofoam boards underneath the ink barrels. Printroom temperature-controlled to range from 20°C to 24°C

When the situation is the contrary: too hot. In this scenario, the inks can get very thin and the adjustments for good printing are quite unstable. The humidifiers are used and positioned in a way they are blowing the mist directly to the printing area of the carriage. The AC is keeping the temperature inside the tolerances mentioned above as well.

And I use a digital wheater station to monitor the environmental conditions of the print room all the time. I like the NetAtmo equipment.

I hope to have helped a little. All the best and good printing!

Old December 8th, 2019 Dec 8, 2019 9:51:02 AM -   #5 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert79
As someone new to the DTG game, having trouble with some initial prints, here in Arizona during the winter (hey, the perfect storm!!!)...

What would be the impact of low humidity on the equipment/print quality? I'm wondering if this is the issue I'm seeing or if I'm chasing a different ghost in my setup/process.

All direct to garment ink is water based. If you have a low humidity level in the space the printer is in the water in the ink can evaporate. Even a slight amount of evaporation can create issues with the ink flow through the printer. Your issue would be with too little humidity. Arizona normally has little to no humidity in most areas of the state. Our demo center in Phoenix, for example, has a humidifier running to keep it at a good humidity level. In any event you should have humidifiers running 24/7 in your space and a humidity gauge to make sure it's at a good level.

_
DTG Merch likes this.

This is a discussion about WATCH Your Humidity Level that was posted in the Epson SureColor DTG Printers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in