Seeking a bit of help to resolve print coverage issue - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Epson SureColor DTG Printers
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Epson Brand SureColor garment printer owners.

Seeking a bit of help to resolve print coverage issue

Like Tree3Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 10th, 2019 Apr 10, 2019 10:35:17 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Nick
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Seeking a bit of help to resolve print coverage issue

I bought an F2000 brand new, December 2017. I was never able to get it printing "great", I always had an issue with "coverage". I tried various settings, different mixtures of pre-treatment, and always ended up with the same result, see attached:

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/attach...1&d=1554920793

What causes this lack of coverage?

We've tried LAT Apparel fine jersey cotton shirts, we've tried Canvas brand fine jersey shirts. We've tried rolling the pre-treat (50/50) and we even bought a spray gun.

I could really use some input from someone who has experience and knows what they are doing of where to start to try to get my printer to produce the same quality/coverage prints that I see other people getting in any video or demo.

Some other videos of the nozzle check and my print:

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/attach...1&d=1554921205

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190410_135019.jpg (5.07 MB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20190410_135320.jpg (5.75 MB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20190410_140852.jpg (2.68 MB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20190410_140904 (1).jpg (3.25 MB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20190410_140917.jpg (3.52 MB, 34 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2019 Apr 10, 2019 1:02:07 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: Seeking a bit of help to resolve print coverage issue

It looks like not enough pretreat and uneven pretreat. I have a pretreat machine which lays down even amounts of pretreat across the shirt so unfortunately I don't have any tips on how to get better coverage with a spray gun or roller. But try increasing the amount you are laying down and make sure to brush the fibers down when wet before you cure the pretreat.

The Following User Says Thank You to chasser70 For This Useful Post:
Splash-X (April 10th, 2019)
Old April 10th, 2019 Apr 10, 2019 1:47:41 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thanks chasser70, so that will give me something to start.

We're using 50/50 of the Epson, is that a good mix to start with on a dark garment, in YOUR opinion.

Any by "not enough" you mean the saturation of the shirt, correct? And not the mix %.

Recommendations for type of brush?

Old April 10th, 2019 Apr 10, 2019 1:58:02 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I use Image Armor Ultra pretreat so I don't need to dilute my pretreatment. I am not sure what ratio people dilute the Epson pretreat to get good results. I use a Wooster paint brush. And what I meant by "not enough" is spray more grams of pretreat on to the shirt. Separate a black shirt into different sections each with a different amount of pretreat and put the same print in each section to see which one comes out the best. That is what I did when trying to dial in my settings and what i do when working with a garment I haven't worked with in the past. However, this may be tougher to do with a spray gun or roller.

Old April 10th, 2019 Apr 10, 2019 2:51:16 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Irrelevant to the issue at hand, but may I ask, what pre-treatment machine you are using?

We'll have to see what we can do with pre-treatment to improve the print results and go from there.

Old April 10th, 2019 Apr 10, 2019 2:55:18 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I have the Speedtreater from Equipment Zone.

Old April 11th, 2019 Apr 11, 2019 9:34:31 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Jackie

I'm using Firebird FBX100, using a spray bottle and the key is brushing in the pretreat. I do this left to right. I just got my pretreater working again and still brushing. Make sure you purchase a good brush so the hairs don't get stuck on the shirt.

Old April 11th, 2019 Apr 11, 2019 12:01:03 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thanks for the input smartwear.

We took a couple of previously pre-treated garments that hadn't been printed on yet and re-treated them again, saturating them and using the brush with a left to right stroke.

We passed them thorough the conveyor dryer to speed up the drying process and then heat pressed them after.

It did produce a much better image:

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/attach...1&d=1555012162

It might be hard to tell from the photo, but the print still has a slight heathered look but it is much much better than before.

I ordered some pre-mixed Firebird FBX and Image Armor ULTRA to give those a test as well, they'll be in mid next week.

I will try the process again with new shirts, start to finish (not double pre-treating) early next week with the Epson pre-treatment and see what the results are.

Once the other solution comes in we'll give that a test as well to see if it is out "mixing" that is part of the problem.

Any other tips or recommendations ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190411_141325.jpg (3.66 MB, 32 views)

Old April 17th, 2019 Apr 17, 2019 11:41:52 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: James

I use Firebird for my F2000, I do find it is important to know how much you are putting down on a shirt, this is where an automatic sprayer come into play we have a Schultze and one from M&R and once you know how many grams of pretreat are being sprayed you can become consistent and everything should be even. Than you can follow the recommendations of the pretreatment company you decided on and do your own testing to see what works. In my testing I found the firebird pretreat stained less shirts, gave a brighter print and I had to use less of it to achieve that as opposed to using the Image Armor or Epson pretreat but do your own testing and find what works for you. Like I said I went Firebird because the other 2 pretreats did not measure up. I was able to get good prints with all 3 pretreats, but Firebird won because it stained less than the other two and was significantly more vibrant when I used less

Old April 21st, 2019 Apr 21, 2019 8:11:01 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: DTG Merch

Hi,

In my opinion, Firebird is a very good pretreatment solution.
The brush helps, but I prefer to use a roller. Made out of sponge material.
The use of a heat press after the pretreatment is essential to put the fibers down. Otherwise, the white ink will look "hairy" and uneven with all the fibers sticking out.
Perhaps, you need more ink per pass? Or more passes to make the white really white? Hows the amount of white ink per pass given by your rip software? 100% per pass? 80% per pass? Perhaps you should adjust the parameters on the rip software as well.

All the best!

Old April 22nd, 2019 Apr 22, 2019 6:19:15 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTG TECH
Hi,

In my opinion, Firebird is a very good pretreatment solution.
The brush helps, but I prefer to use a roller. Made out of sponge material.
The use of a heat press after the pretreatment is essential to put the fibers down. Otherwise, the white ink will look "hairy" and uneven with all the fibers sticking out.
Perhaps, you need more ink per pass? Or more passes to make the white really white? Hows the amount of white ink per pass given by your rip software? 100% per pass? 80% per pass? Perhaps you should adjust the parameters on the rip software as well.

All the best!
I have to say I agree with everything you said except the foam roller. You will get better results using a brush or even a silicone roller. if you use a sponge roller your taking off pretreat you laid down I bet if you stopped using the roller you could cut back 5%-10% of the amount of pretreat your using because the roller is taking away at least that much. Just food for thought.
DTG Merch likes this.

Old April 22nd, 2019 Apr 22, 2019 9:55:46 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Both the Image Armour and the Firebird came in late last week but we didn't have a chance to pre-treat any shirts until Friday.

We had ordered a smaller bottle of Image Armor for Dark shirts and used that first.

We're using the Epson Garment Creator for printing, importing a PNG file created in Illustrator. Image is only white, for testing.

I'm using:
Black Color T Shirt (Use Garment Black)
Print Quality 2
White Print Quality 3
White Ink Density: +25%, + 50% +100%
Under White: On

Lint rolled the shirts, sprayed with pretreat gun, used a brush side to side, let air dry over the weekend.

Heat pressed today before running test prints.

I ran a heavy nozzle cleaning on the F2000, printed a nozzel check and no noticeable issues with the lines.

White ink density at +25%, +50% and +100%, side by side. No visible difference in appearance:

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/attach...1&d=1555955060

We've ordered some "RTP" shirts from RPT Apparel to eliminate the question of "user error" for pretreating shirts.

I don't mind spending the money on a pre-treatment machine if we can put it to use, and the key to being able to use it is to be able to print quality prints on the shirts.

Thoughts on where to go from here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190422_133742.jpg (4.56 MB, 25 views)

Old April 22nd, 2019 Apr 22, 2019 10:32:18 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash-X
Both the Image Armour and the Firebird came in late last week but we didn't have a chance to pre-treat any shirts until Friday.

We had ordered a smaller bottle of Image Armor for Dark shirts and used that first.

We're using the Epson Garment Creator for printing, importing a PNG file created in Illustrator. Image is only white, for testing.

I'm using:
Black Color T Shirt (Use Garment Black)
Print Quality 2
White Print Quality 3
White Ink Density: +25%, + 50% +100%
Under White: On

Lint rolled the shirts, sprayed with pretreat gun, used a brush side to side, let air dry over the weekend.

Heat pressed today before running test prints.

I ran a heavy nozzle cleaning on the F2000, printed a nozzel check and no noticeable issues with the lines.

White ink density at +25%, +50% and +100%, side by side. No visible difference in appearance:

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/attach...1&d=1555955060

We've ordered some "RTP" shirts from RPT Apparel to eliminate the question of "user error" for pretreating shirts.

I don't mind spending the money on a pre-treatment machine if we can put it to use, and the key to being able to use it is to be able to print quality prints on the shirts.

Thoughts on where to go from here?

A few things to try. I know its hard to do with a spray gun but grams laid down is key. For Firebird on a black gildan In a 14x16 area I spray 25gs and I get a solid white you may need to spray more. Your settings seem fine printer wise only suggestion there I can make is maybe add say a 5 sec delay between layers, this can help brighten things up. It is most likely you need more pretreat so maybe spray a couple of shirts and weight them to see if you need to add more or not. But typically you need between 20g-30g for a poor cotton shirt (gildan for example) finer knit shirts less. lik2 15g-20g for like a Bella.
DTG Merch likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ghoster32111 For This Useful Post:
Splash-X (April 22nd, 2019)
Old April 22nd, 2019 Apr 22, 2019 11:18:34 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

We'll give that a shot, taking a weight of the shirts before pretreatment and then after.

Hopefully later this week our test RTP shirts will be in and we can give them a try too to see if we get any improvement.

I am sure that it's a user error with the pre-treatment, but we don't have any "control" shirt to know it was treated correctly to base anything one, hence the RTP shirts.

Old April 25th, 2019 Apr 25, 2019 12:20:31 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

We didn't have much luck with more pre-treatment.

We did have better results with some pre-treated ordered from RTP apparel (fine jersey ring spun cotton), the under white was definitely brighter and better than shirts we pre-treated but we're still not getting solid coverage like the samples that were sent to us from Ryonet before purchase.

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/attach...1&d=1556223416

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/attach...1&d=1556223442

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/attach...1&d=1556223470

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/attach...1&d=1556223500

I went through and modified the image, giving it some color and using a light grey color to see if that would get better coverage. White the colors seem to fill in a bit better, and the print may be "passable" it certainly isn't high quality.

So, maybe there is something wrong with the printer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190425_155301.jpg (6.42 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20190425_155309.jpg (8.12 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20190425_155325.jpg (5.64 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20190425_155355.jpg (5.52 MB, 14 views)

This is a discussion about Seeking a bit of help to resolve print coverage issue that was posted in the Epson SureColor DTG Printers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in