New Epson Pretreat for Polyester - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Epson SureColor DTG Printers
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Epson Brand SureColor garment printer owners.

New Epson Pretreat for Polyester

Like Tree2Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 18th, 2018 Oct 18, 2018 7:09:48 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Greg
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default New Epson Pretreat for Polyester

Anyone have any details or have tested it????

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...nFQWYB_tUg8fs0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2018 Oct 18, 2018 1:42:30 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Geno
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: New Epson Pretreat for Polyester

Since the cat is out of the bag I'll have to say that I have been experimenting with it myself. Results so far are pretty darn cool. Still doing wash tests. Heat on the press needs to be backed down to 265 degrees F with very light pressure.

Here is my very first print with the poly pre-treatment on an A4 100% poly dri-fit tee found at Staton Wholesale.

The poly pre-treatment is a little thicker than regular cotton pre-treatment so for me I had to dilute it some what to get it to go through my Speed Treater nicely. Still playing with that part of it.

Here is my second shirt that I printed on a red 100% poly dri-fit. Had a little fun with the artwork. Sample tee only.

Depending on the brand some poly tees are tightly woven and some are not. For the ones that are not you'll leave a bit of ink on th platten that must be wiped off after every print. The A4 was a tight weave so I didn't have that problem.

Tee #3. Overhead light reflection with the iphone was giving me grief. You can also see that I had a little too much pretreatment on this tee. Still printed great and it all washed out though. Print held up well too.

30 grams of poly pretreatment for a full size print is Epson's recommendation. Ratio to water is 1:0 on darks (straight out of the bottle), 1:6 on lights. Still playing with that too.

Last edited by gatorGRAFIX; October 18th, 2018 at 02:27 PM..

Old October 18th, 2018 Oct 18, 2018 1:54:33 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Greg

I figured you might be the one. :-) That was my main question, does it work for dri-fit. That is the biggest request we get. Looking forward to giving it a try.
gatorGRAFIX likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to MrInky For This Useful Post:
gatorGRAFIX (October 18th, 2018)

Old October 18th, 2018 Oct 18, 2018 2:02:34 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

As I get more time to experiment and get it just right for my own satisfaction I'll post more results.

Been very very very busy the last two weeks so my time has been a bit limited the last couple of weeks.

The trick that I see is in the curing (heat pressing) and how much or how little ink that you lay down. I like to hover dry first but that's just me. Always scared of smearing heavy deposits of wet white ink when pressing so this eliminates that. You also don't want to lay down too much pretreatment because it will give a stiff feel to the touch. It will take a little practice to get it just right but it will happen.

Once I get the viscosity formula for my Speed Treater dialed in I should be getting even better results.

Epson recommends the highest quality ink settings for maximum coverage. Especially for the white. I found this to be pretty much true.

Last edited by gatorGRAFIX; October 18th, 2018 at 02:08 PM..

Old October 18th, 2018 Oct 18, 2018 2:11:30 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Thanked 2,490 Times in 2,208 Posts

Is this all-purpose, works on cotton? Or do you need 2 speed treaters?

Old October 18th, 2018 Oct 18, 2018 2:16:10 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

No need for two Speed Treaters, you just swap out the jugs but I did do a water flush before and after I used it.

Easy to do. Two clean empty plastic one gallon milk jugs, one with water, one with out. Place the IN hose in the water filled jug and the OUT hose in the empty jug. Flush with water for about a three count and you are ready to use the poly pre-treatment. Just reverse the process when you want to go back to cotton printing. Takes no time at all hardly.

It is not all-purpose though. Poly printing only.

You'll notice that Epson recommends a +100 on the white ink density. That is another aspect that I am playing with. This is supposedly to "fill the gaps" on loosely knitted poly tees. Again, the A4 tees that I printed were very tightly woven so I have some room to experiment on this point.

I cannot wait to try this on some poly caps too!

Last edited by gatorGRAFIX; October 19th, 2018 at 08:28 AM..

The Following User Says Thank You to gatorGRAFIX For This Useful Post:
splathead (October 18th, 2018)
Old October 19th, 2018 Oct 19, 2018 4:44:53 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

What about blends? Which pretreater?

Old October 19th, 2018 Oct 19, 2018 4:58:49 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

I would use this for blends myself. Printing those with cotton pretreatment is always a crap shoot.

Old October 24th, 2018 Oct 24, 2018 10:42:39 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Which pretreat sprayer you guys use? They seem so overpriced for such a simple machine function.. Spraying a single fluid thru a tiny nozzle!

Old October 24th, 2018 Oct 24, 2018 5:39:31 PM -   #10 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,066 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoxs
Which pretreat sprayer you guys use? They seem so overpriced for such a simple machine function.. Spraying a single fluid thru a tiny nozzle!

You will need to use a higher end automatic pretreater to achieve good spray results with the new Epson polyester pretreat due to it's thicker viscosity.

Epson is recommending these 3 automatic pretreaters for their new polyester pretreatment:
Lawson Zoom AE
Schultz Pretreatmaker IV
SpeedTreater-TX

_

Old October 31st, 2018 Oct 31, 2018 10:54:37 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Epson Poly Printing Tips.

Straight from the Epson horse's mouth.

Application:*
For dark shirts (white ink used)*- use the pretreatment without diluting.
For light shirts (no white ink) - Dilute with*1 part pretreatment to 6 parts water.
The polyester pretreatment should be applied by a sprayer (SpeedTreater works great).
Amount of pretreatment to applied: 15 grams for a*1/2 Shirt / 30g for a full shirt.*Please note that the pretreatment does have a higher viscosity, so the spray width will be a little narrower than the cotton pretreatment.*On my machine it looks like the nozzle sprays*about 14.5-15" wide which isn't a problem since I'm using a 14" wide printer platen. As for the speed setting, I'm at a*7 and it seems OK but a bit heavy on coverage.

Drying the pretreated garment:

With the heatpress, use a temperature of 130C / 265F and press for 60 seconds. You should only need light pressure (~4psi) to flatten the garment fibers.

Printing:

1 Don't use a platen with*the grip pad. Ink will likely penetrate the garment and leave residue on the platen. This can be cleaned up with a dry paper towel, or using a slightly damp towel if heavily soiled. Do not use cleaner with*Alcohol (i.e. glass cleaner, windex, rubbing alcohol). If cleaner is needed, use only a sparing amount*of printer maintenance fluid.
2 Sleeve/Thread the garment on the platen so that only the*side to be printed is above the platen.*
3 To achieve bright white with maximum*opaqueness, set the white mode to double pass (8-pass x2) which is level 2 on the F2000 and Level 6 on the F2100. The white ink density should be pushed up to +100% as well.*
a Many polyester garments have loose threads to allow greater wicking of sweat. Hold the garment up in front of a light and you'll most likely see the light coming through the garment between the fibers. When the ink is applied, it will stick to the garment but will also go through the space between the fibers. This is why we are pushing the white ink to the maximum, why there will be residual ink on the platen after printing, and also why we are recommending sleeving the garment.

Curing:
With a heat press, use a temperature of 130C/265F and press for 90 seconds (Dark) / 30 seconds (Light) with little to no pressure.
If using a heat tunnel, bump the heat up to 140C/285F and allow about 5*minutes to cure. Time will vary on the type of heat tunnel.

Wash fastness:

The Epson UltraChrome DG inks can achieve a "5" on the AATCC 2A test when used on Cotton. The Polyester does well, but preliminary results are a "4-5" which is still considered the life of the garment.*With typical t-shirt style*graphics that have solid colors, the ink will stay put for a long time. If there are very light coverage areas (below*10%), then there may be accelerated fading.

Wash Recommendations:
- Cold wash, Gentle cycle
- Do not use bleach or*fabric softeners
- Put shirt inside-out so design is on inside

Old October 31st, 2018 Oct 31, 2018 11:07:18 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Here are a few more tips on Epson Poly Printing:

“Cracking”
Part 1: Fabric structure
Unlike screen printing that has a thick layer of ink applied, the amount of ink applied with DTG is much lower. The ink will cling to the fabric surface, but as the ink falls into the voids between the fibers it creates a “cracked” look (see below).

This can be improved by increasing the amount of white ink being used (Level 6 with +100% ink duty). If there is a significant amount of ink going through the garment, this can be improved by a applying a higher level of pretreatment. When cured, this will create a less porous print surface.

Part 2: Curing
If the print looks good on the printer, but has the “cracks” after curing take a look at the heat press pressure. When pressure is applied, it slightly stretches the fabric and causes the fibers to pull apart which creates a “crack”. Lowering the press pressure will help, or completely eliminate the pressure with non-contact heat (tunnel).

“Too Thick”
The polyester pretreatment liquid is thicker than the cotton pretreatment. It is intended to be used at 1-parts pretreatment to 0-parts water. In general, diluting the pretreatment will result in duller colors but better wash fastness. When asked about diluting the solution to a 3-parts pretreatment to 1-part water (75/25 mix), the engineers at Epson felt that slight dilution will have only limited influence. The slightly diluted liquid should flow better through the sprayer.

Old November 1st, 2018 Nov 1, 2018 5:52:54 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

When will this be available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old November 2nd, 2018 Nov 2, 2018 2:02:54 AM -   #14 (permalink)
CzT
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorGRAFIX
Here are a few more tips on Epson Poly Printing:

“Cracking”
Part 1: Fabric structure
Unlike screen printing that has a thick layer of ink applied, the amount of ink applied with DTG is much lower. The ink will cling to the fabric surface, but as the ink falls into the voids between the fibers it creates a “cracked” look (see below).

This can be improved by increasing the amount of white ink being used (Level 6 with +100% ink duty). If there is a significant amount of ink going through the garment, this can be improved by a applying a higher level of pretreatment. When cured, this will create a less porous print surface.

Part 2: Curing
If the print looks good on the printer, but has the “cracks” after curing take a look at the heat press pressure. When pressure is applied, it slightly stretches the fabric and causes the fibers to pull apart which creates a “crack”. Lowering the press pressure will help, or completely eliminate the pressure with non-contact heat (tunnel).

“Too Thick”
The polyester pretreatment liquid is thicker than the cotton pretreatment. It is intended to be used at 1-parts pretreatment to 0-parts water. In general, diluting the pretreatment will result in duller colors but better wash fastness. When asked about diluting the solution to a 3-parts pretreatment to 1-part water (75/25 mix), the engineers at Epson felt that slight dilution will have only limited influence. The slightly diluted liquid should flow better through the sprayer.
If you print a light layer (4 pass) of white ink before printing the image it makes a big differences.

Old November 2nd, 2018 Nov 2, 2018 8:57:22 AM -   #15 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,066 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehrli3
When will this be available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Equipment Zone will have the new Epson cotton pretreatment in stock next week.

The new Epson dark polyester pretreatment should be available towards the end of December.

_

This is a discussion about New Epson Pretreat for Polyester that was posted in the Epson SureColor DTG Printers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in