Help! Epson F2100 Curing Problem? - T-Shirt Forums
 

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?





Site Navigation








+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Epson SureColor DTG Printers
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Epson Brand SureColor garment printer owners.



Help! Epson F2100 Curing Problem?

Like Tree6Likes

 
Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 29th, 2018 Sep 29, 2018 11:01:08 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Jonfromca's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post


Default Help! Epson F2100 Curing Problem?

Hi, I just got my epson f2100. i been doing a lot of testing and one of the test is printing block white letters on black shirts. black on white shirts is fine, white on light color shirts are fine and printing on white on black shirt is fine. the problem is (only on white on black shirt) is when i cure it on a heat press. the white turns slightly pink/grey. the first few times it came out no problem but the last few times its turning pink! i tried pre treating it twice, i lower it, increase it etc. i raised the temp, lower the temp. 40sec. 90 secs. etc. and still turning pink. different brands etc. im literally stuck right now. the only thing that somewhat work is when i hover it not touching the platen seems fine. help!! thanks
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old September 29th, 2018 Sep 29, 2018 11:53:36 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
T-Shirt Mogul


TABOB's Avatar
 
You can call me: Bob
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 131 Times in 125 Posts


Default Re: Help! Epson F2100 Curing Problem?

Any polyester content in the fabric?
Have you tried a different black shirt?
 
Old September 29th, 2018 Sep 29, 2018 12:11:41 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice
Thread Starter

Jonfromca's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post


Default Re: Help! Epson F2100 Curing Problem?

yes, its 100% cotton. three different brands and same results. whats weird is when i was testing them. everything came out fine with those three brands. im thinking maybe the original ink cartridge that came with it. after the testing i had to replace the white and maybe thats why.
 
 
Old September 29th, 2018 Sep 29, 2018 2:31:58 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
T-Shirt Mogul


TABOB's Avatar
 
You can call me: Bob
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 131 Times in 125 Posts


Default Re: Help! Epson F2100 Curing Problem?

It that case, it looks like there is color contamination in the printhead, from the capping station. I've never personally seen it myself, but I've read about in in this forum.

To fix this, you will probably have to clean capping station really well, and run a white tube wash. This will waste a lot of ink and flushing solution, so it's a good idea to prevent it from happening again.
 
Old September 29th, 2018 Sep 29, 2018 3:27:44 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice
Thread Starter

Jonfromca's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post


Default Re: Help! Epson F2100 Curing Problem?

then wouldnt all white turn pink no matter what color tshirt? i just did white on khaki and after curing looks good.
 
Old September 29th, 2018 Sep 29, 2018 5:22:59 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
T-Shirt Mogul


TABOB's Avatar
 
You can call me: Bob
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 131 Times in 125 Posts


Default Re: Help! Epson F2100 Curing Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonfromca
then wouldnt all white turn pink no matter what color tshirt? i just did white on khaki and after curing looks good.
Hmmm... You are right, I read the initial post too fast and I just realized you mentioned that the hover trick improves the outcome. That's half the solution right there. Note that these shirts are best cured in a conveyor drier without any pressure. So when using a heat press, there is no need to use any pressure either. If the heat plate is touching the fabric, it's enough. If this still doesn't work, you need to increase the amount of white ink in the print settings.
 
Old September 29th, 2018 Sep 29, 2018 5:36:04 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice
Thread Starter

Jonfromca's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post


Default Re: Help! Epson F2100 Curing Problem?

thanks for trying to help but i think i got it. fyi i increased the saturation, increase the brightness, etc for the white and still same. pink. what you said earlier about color contamination, it got me thinking.. i did a nozzle check, did a light cleaning, then a medium cleaning and then i cleaned the cap head like 4 times and after two prints... big improvement. i think you mightve been right about the color contamination haha im going to test some more tomorrow and do the wash test and hopefully everything comes out great
 
Old September 29th, 2018 Sep 29, 2018 7:06:53 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
T-Shirt Mogul


TABOB's Avatar
 
You can call me: Bob
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 131 Times in 125 Posts


Default Re: Help! Epson F2100 Curing Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonfromca
thanks for trying to help but i think i got it. fyi i increased the saturation, increase the brightness, etc for the white and still same. pink. what you said earlier about color contamination, it got me thinking.. i did a nozzle check, did a light cleaning, then a medium cleaning and then i cleaned the cap head like 4 times and after two prints... big improvement. i think you mightve been right about the color contamination haha im going to test some more tomorrow and do the wash test and hopefully everything comes out great
Yeah, its hard to guess what the issue is from just a description, and I'm getting rusty at it as well. Last time I printed white DTG was over a year ago.
 
Old August 28th, 2019 Aug 28, 2019 3:23:20 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

BluMagnoliaCo's Avatar
 
You can call me: Melissa
Member Since: Mar 2017
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


Default Re: Help! Epson F2100 Curing Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TABOB
Hmmm... You are right, I read the initial post too fast and I just realized you mentioned that the hover trick improves the outcome. That's half the solution right there. Note that these shirts are best cured in a conveyor drier without any pressure. So when using a heat press, there is no need to use any pressure either. If the heat plate is touching the fabric, it's enough. If this still doesn't work, you need to increase the amount of white ink in the print settings.
Best cured with a conveyor dryer? This is the opposite of what I was told. Do you have a recommendation for which dryer is best? I am having a hard time. It seems like lately it is taking me up to 8 minutes to cure a black shirt! It's insane. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on. I have a Geoknight Dk20s so I'm not using a cheap heat press. The black ink wipes right off on my finger. I have been contemplating a dryer but was told that it would take too long to cure in one.
 
Old August 28th, 2019 Aug 28, 2019 6:30:50 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Ghoster32111's Avatar
 
You can call me: James
Member Since: Jan 2013
Posts: 590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 13
Thanked 67 Times in 66 Posts


Default Re: Help! Epson F2100 Curing Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluMagnoliaCo
Best cured with a conveyor dryer? This is the opposite of what I was told. Do you have a recommendation for which dryer is best? I am having a hard time. It seems like lately it is taking me up to 8 minutes to cure a black shirt! It's insane. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on. I have a Geoknight Dk20s so I'm not using a cheap heat press. The black ink wipes right off on my finger. I have been contemplating a dryer but was told that it would take too long to cure in one.
What are your settings on your heatpress? Shouldn't take more than 75ish seconds to dry a shirt with white ink. Epson ink is recommended to be cured at 330F. If that is the range where your press says it is I would double check it with a digital heat gun to make sure that the temp is correct. It does take longer to cure in a conveyor dryer usually around 6-8 mins depending on print however the idea is you can keep printing shirts and adding them to the belt and have a decent work flow.
 
Old August 28th, 2019 Aug 28, 2019 7:43:24 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
Certified T-Shirt Junkie


djque's Avatar
 
You can call me: Que
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: orange county ca
Posts: 1,572
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 27
Thanked 124 Times in 122 Posts


Default Re: Help! Epson F2100 Curing Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoster32111
What are your settings on your heatpress? Shouldn't take more than 75ish seconds to dry a shirt with white ink. Epson ink is recommended to be cured at 330F. If that is the range where your press says it is I would double check it with a digital heat gun to make sure that the temp is correct. It does take longer to cure in a conveyor dryer usually around 6-8 mins depending on print however the idea is you can keep printing shirts and adding them to the belt and have a decent work flow.
6 to 8 minutes in dryer shouldn't take that long. Try using a forced air conveyor.
 
Old August 28th, 2019 Aug 28, 2019 7:45:09 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

BluMagnoliaCo's Avatar
 
You can call me: Melissa
Member Since: Mar 2017
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


Default Re: Help! Epson F2100 Curing Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoster32111
What are your settings on your heatpress? Shouldn't take more than 75ish seconds to dry a shirt with white ink. Epson ink is recommended to be cured at 330F. If that is the range where your press says it is I would double check it with a digital heat gun to make sure that the temp is correct. It does take longer to cure in a conveyor dryer usually around 6-8 mins depending on print however the idea is you can keep printing shirts and adding them to the belt and have a decent work flow.

In garment creator:

I have it on "Colored shirts" I like to have white ink under my black ink.

It's on setting 2(Quality)

So, white is on 3 with -10% white ink
Color is on setting 1 default.

350 on a geoknight DK20S swing away heat press which is about a year old.

Epson's new pretreat formula 1:1.
 
Old August 28th, 2019 Aug 28, 2019 7:46:56 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

BluMagnoliaCo's Avatar
 
You can call me: Melissa
Member Since: Mar 2017
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


Default Re: Help! Epson F2100 Curing Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djque
6 to 8 minutes in dryer shouldn't take that long. Try using a forced air conveyor.
How long does it take in a forced air dryer? Do you have one that you recommend?
 
Old August 28th, 2019 Aug 28, 2019 8:27:45 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Ghoster32111's Avatar
 
You can call me: James
Member Since: Jan 2013
Posts: 590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 13
Thanked 67 Times in 66 Posts


Default Re: Help! Epson F2100 Curing Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluMagnoliaCo
In garment creator:

I have it on "Colored shirts" I like to have white ink under my black ink.

It's on setting 2(Quality)

So, white is on 3 with -10% white ink
Color is on setting 1 default.

350 on a geoknight DK20S swing away heat press which is about a year old.

Epson's new pretreat formula 1:1.
It definitely shouldn't take you that long to dry a shirt with the setting you are using. I would make sure the temp that is displaying on your heat press is what the heatpress is actually getting too. Epson ink is one of the quicker curing inks. the longest is old school Dupont which had like a 3-3.5 min cure time at 350F I have done shirts on settings a lot higher than you are using and still have it take no more than 80 seconds at 330F.

As to a forced air conveyor (which I have) it takes about 8 mins or so to cure it all depends on design I have cured things in under 5 mins on the dryer. 8 mins is kind of on the higher end of time for me. The water in the ink needs time to evaporate and cure the heat press does it so much quicker because it is direct heat resting on the ink the forced air takes longer. Inferred dryers take maybe a min or 2 longer and have a higher risk of scorching the shirt but do work. I started with a little red vastec dryer.
 
Old August 28th, 2019 Aug 28, 2019 8:47:44 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

BluMagnoliaCo's Avatar
 
You can call me: Melissa
Member Since: Mar 2017
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


Default Re: Help! Epson F2100 Curing Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoster32111
It definitely shouldn't take you that long to dry a shirt with the setting you are using. I would make sure the temp that is displaying on your heat press is what the heatpress is actually getting too. Epson ink is one of the quicker curing inks. the longest is old school Dupont which had like a 3-3.5 min cure time at 350F I have done shirts on settings a lot higher than you are using and still have it take no more than 80 seconds at 330F.

As to a forced air conveyor (which I have) it takes about 8 mins or so to cure it all depends on design I have cured things in under 5 mins on the dryer. 8 mins is kind of on the higher end of time for me. The water in the ink needs time to evaporate and cure the heat press does it so much quicker because it is direct heat resting on the ink the forced air takes longer. Inferred dryers take maybe a min or 2 longer and have a higher risk of scorching the shirt but do work. I started with a little red vastec dryer.
Hmm, I wonder if maybe I don't have enough pressure on my shirts. You're saying that it takes almost 8 minutes on a forced air because it isn't touching and my heat press barely touches the shirts. I found that if I use heavier pressure, it yellows the seams of my white shirts so I keep it very light. (Most of my items are baby / kid clothes so the seams are not hanging over the edge of the heat press.)

8 minutes is about what the black shirts are taking me to cure.
 






This is a discussion about Help! Epson F2100 Curing Problem? that was posted in the Epson SureColor DTG Printers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.


Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)
.

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Epson 1430 cis problem joeymferrara Dye Sublimation 4 July 13th, 2017 08:13 AM
[Epson Printers] EPSON Stylus pro 3880 problem with printing ! Lukaseeek Printers and Inks for Inkjet and Laser Transfers 0 June 29th, 2017 01:48 PM
Epson 4880 Flatbed vertical ink problem ferhadb Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing 5 February 9th, 2016 07:15 PM
BIG problem with an Epson T5200 elcrowley Dye Sublimation 0 October 14th, 2015 01:50 AM
help problem epson 2100 dtg print81 Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing 1 September 7th, 2014 10:33 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 T-ShirtForums.com. All rights reserved.