Possible fix for an ink clogged DTG head for desperate people - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Epson SureColor DTG Printers
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Epson Brand SureColor garment printer owners.

Possible fix for an ink clogged DTG head for desperate people

Like Tree8Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 6th, 2018 Jun 6, 2018 9:44:48 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Geno
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Possible fix for an ink clogged DTG head for desperate people

CAUTION - USE THIS ADVISE AT YOUR RISK. THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES THAT THIS WILL WORK FOR YOU.

I am calling this the "Padilla Fix"

My good friend Fred Padilla, who just happens to be the developer of the CBreeze RIP as well as many other DTG products over the last ten or so years (Jet Genie head unclogging solution from the old days is just one of them), just gave me an awesome tip for DTG owners who have clogged white head issues and are just about ready to give up.

I WOULD ONLY USE THIS PROCEDURE ON AN "OUT OF WARRANTY" MACHINE, PERIOD.

Fred received a used prototype DTG that had a white nozzle check that was failing on one of the white banks. This machine was never intended for sale to the public, had no warranty what so ever and was regarded as a "disposable" printer.

After being in use for a few months the DTG was boxed up ready for shipment to Fred. It sat on the shop floor awaiting pickup for three weeks. When Fred took possession of it the printer then sat for another two weeks before it was unboxed and finally set up.

No white ink showed up at all after a few nozzles checks. Numerous head cleanings did nothing at all. With no warranty at all on the printer it was looking like it was pretty ready to be put out to pasture.

Fred's fix was to put the DTG in a mode where the head would be moved out of it's docked position where the head was exposed and accessible.

He then propped up a few small cardboard boxes under the exposed head assembly and wedged a Windex soaked bundle of paper towels underneath the clogged head unit and let it set for two hours.

After the two hours went by and after a few head cleanings the DTG then returned a perfect white nozzle check and that was that.

A FEW RULES TO FOLLOW

1.) Use ONLY standard Windex. Not the foamy kind.

2.) DO NOT leave soaking for more than two hours or you run the risk of delaminating the head.

3.) Dab only. Never wipe.

4.) After every dab use a new paper towel EVERY time.

5.) Only use a paper towel. No cloth of any kind.

Good luck!
rom3ro likes this.

Last edited by gatorGRAFIX; June 6th, 2018 at 09:53 AM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2019 Feb 24, 2019 11:16:45 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: karan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

That's a great tip. Thanks for sharing.
gatorGRAFIX likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to justkaran For This Useful Post:
gatorGRAFIX (February 25th, 2019)
Old February 24th, 2019 Feb 24, 2019 11:17:02 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

That's a great tip. Thanks for sharing.
gatorGRAFIX likes this.

Old February 24th, 2019 Feb 24, 2019 11:17:38 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorGRAFIX
CAUTION - USE THIS ADVISE AT YOUR RISK. THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES THAT THIS WILL WORK FOR YOU.

I am calling this the "Padilla Fix"

My good friend Fred Padilla, who just happens to be the developer of the CBreeze RIP as well as many other DTG products over the last ten or so years (Jet Genie head unclogging solution from the old days is just one of them), just gave me an awesome tip for DTG owners who have clogged white head issues and are just about ready to give up.

I WOULD ONLY USE THIS PROCEDURE ON AN "OUT OF WARRANTY" MACHINE, PERIOD.

Fred received a used prototype DTG that had a white nozzle check that was failing on one of the white banks. This machine was never intended for sale to the public, had no warranty what so ever and was regarded as a "disposable" printer.

After being in use for a few months the DTG was boxed up ready for shipment to Fred. It sat on the shop floor awaiting pickup for three weeks. When Fred took possession of it the printer then sat for another two weeks before it was unboxed and finally set up.

No white ink showed up at all after a few nozzles checks. Numerous head cleanings did nothing at all. With no warranty at all on the printer it was looking like it was pretty ready to be put out to pasture.

Fred's fix was to put the DTG in a mode where the head would be moved out of it's docked position where the head was exposed and accessible.

He then propped up a few small cardboard boxes under the exposed head assembly and wedged a Windex soaked bundle of paper towels underneath the clogged head unit and let it set for two hours.

After the two hours went by and after a few head cleanings the DTG then returned a perfect white nozzle check and that was that.

A FEW RULES TO FOLLOW

1.) Use ONLY standard Windex. Not the foamy kind.

2.) DO NOT leave soaking for more than two hours or you run the risk of delaminating the head.

3.) Dab only. Never wipe.

4.) After every dab use a new paper towel EVERY time.

5.) Only use a paper towel. No cloth of any kind.

Good luck!

Great tips. Thanks for sharing.
gatorGRAFIX likes this.

Old February 28th, 2019 Feb 28, 2019 10:28:43 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: Possible fix for an ink clogged DTG head for desperate people

I also am in same boat, left printer on when I left for family emergency and came back to no white ink. I tried the emergency solution with windex to no avail, pumped up my humidity to 60%, 3 heavy cycles of head cleaning and not a spot of white. So any other guidance or thoughts on a fix other then the obvious of $2500 to $3500 service call, or possibly a boat anchor!!!!! Thanks

Last edited by stitchsnthreads1; February 28th, 2019 at 10:54 AM..

Old March 5th, 2019 Mar 5, 2019 12:40:55 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: CHRIS

Same boat here. No white ink nozzles...Im thinking boat anchor and move on. Too much money and too much wasted ink

the windex trick will work sometimes but if its past the point of no return it want get it done.

Old March 6th, 2019 Mar 6, 2019 5:26:55 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Whenever I have a very stubborn clog I start with a head cleaning or two and then try a manual draw from the capping station, followed by another head cleaning. If this doesn't work I flush the white line, saving the ink and that usually does the trick. Make sure your capping station is wet at the end of the day to soak the print head and all your parts are cleaned well. Some clogs are due to heavy particles in the white ink from the bottom of your ink supply coming through the line. When you replace your ink don't always just leave the bottom 1/4 of old ink as it has more material in in that can produce clogs.
gatorGRAFIX likes this.

Old March 13th, 2019 Mar 13, 2019 8:37:26 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Ok I finally got my whites printing flawlessly, Did all the straight forward thing IE: head cleanings, making sure capping station was clean etc., did the Windex trick helped with whites 1 & 2 a little bit, so I am screwed anyways so I experimented, I took eye dropper with water and put in capping station, turned machine off overnight and came back next morning and nozzle checked, all 4 whites working 80% did a few more head cleanings and test prints and everything is working 100%. So long run saved my happy about $3500 in service call, now just to remember to do test print everyday and keep humidity up.
gatorGRAFIX likes this.

Old March 13th, 2019 Mar 13, 2019 12:30:57 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: James

I use Firebirds tube wash which is far cheaper than epsons and works 100X's better. But when I have a clog I take a eye dropper and put some in the capping station and wait about 5-10 mins and do a light clean or two and it is back 100%. If I have a sever head clog I do the same thing and leave it overnight and a light cleaning or two and its back in working order. The Firebird tube wash is amazing stuff I do not know what the fine folks at Firebird put it it but you can just watch it break up the ink when you do a tube clean. And for $12.50 for a small bottle you cannot beat it. I think they sell it in a larger liter size for about $20 or so but it's worth its weight in gold for the amount of times it saved me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ghoster32111 For This Useful Post:
stitchsnthreads1 (March 13th, 2019)
Old 1 Week Ago May 11, 2019 10:34:32 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchsnthreads1
Ok I finally got my whites printing flawlessly, Did all the straight forward thing IE: head cleanings, making sure capping station was clean etc., did the Windex trick helped with whites 1 & 2 a little bit, so I am screwed anyways so I experimented, I took eye dropper with water and put in capping station, turned machine off overnight and came back next morning and nozzle checked, all 4 whites working 80% did a few more head cleanings and test prints and everything is working 100%. So long run saved my happy about $3500 in service call, now just to remember to do test print everyday and keep humidity up.
Can you please tell me what eyedropper did you use, thank you! Im not getting any whites after this thing went storage. Thank you!

Old 1 Week Ago May 13, 2019 5:29:04 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I just used the dropper for the tube wash, just put a drop of water in capping station, I did each one and let it set overnight, did medium head clean a couple times and few test prints and it is working great ever since.

Old 1 Week Ago May 13, 2019 5:39:53 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
I just used the dropper for the tube wash, just put a drop of water in capping station, I did each one and let it set overnight, did medium head clean a couple times and few test prints and it is working great ever since.
I sent you a pm. Thank you.

Old 1 Week Ago May 13, 2019 7:14:42 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I'm doing this right now, will report back if it works, if it does, I owe the padilla fix a 12 pack LOL

Old 1 Week Ago May 13, 2019 8:52:06 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by humblehyper
Quote:

I sent you a pm. Thank you.
My pm is somehow max out I don't know why they limit 5 messages only lol I'm not a spammer lol

Old 1 Week Ago May 13, 2019 11:34:46 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoster32111
I use Firebirds tube wash which is far cheaper than epsons and works 100X's better. But when I have a clog I take a eye dropper and put some in the capping station and wait about 5-10 mins and do a light clean or two and it is back 100%. If I have a sever head clog I do the same thing and leave it overnight and a light cleaning or two and its back in working order. The Firebird tube wash is amazing stuff I do not know what the fine folks at Firebird put it it but you can just watch it break up the ink when you do a tube clean. And for $12.50 for a small bottle you cannot beat it. I think they sell it in a larger liter size for about $20 or so but it's worth its weight in gold for the amount of times it saved me.
Capping station is where you do the tube flush? Or the dry cap section?

This is a discussion about Possible fix for an ink clogged DTG head for desperate people that was posted in the Epson SureColor DTG Printers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in