How I Print On Gildan Ultra 2000's and Comfort Color Tees - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Epson SureColor DTG Printers
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Epson Brand SureColor garment printer owners.

How I Print On Gildan Ultra 2000's and Comfort Color Tees

Like Tree8Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 17th, 2017 Jan 17, 2017 12:29:35 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Geno
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default How I Print On Gildan Ultra 2000's and Comfort Color Tees

I get my best results when I pre-treat, press dry, pre-treat again and press dry again. It works very well for me. Anyone struggling with Gildan tees should give it a shot.

Same thing with hard to print Comfort Color tees. Printing them is a snap also.

I usually hover dry my printed shirts for a minute to a minute and a half before I press them. I have always used teflon sheets because I love the slick shiny effect that I get and I can use them over and over and over again.

The extra pre-treatment used per shirt is pretty cheap. A lot less than laying down tons of white ink I would say and the extra time it takes to double press tees can usually be done before your next tee comes off of the F2000.

When pretreating Gildan 2000's or Comfort Color tees don't skimp on the pretreat. They do love it. Don't soak them up too much but don't just have it all misted on either. Experiment for what ever works best for you.

Washability is great too. Note - You don't want to saturate your tee on one pretreament, just pretreat it as normal and press dry but just do it twice.

All of these prints were made using Digital Factory with the one pass white set at 80%. No other changes.

I do get the same results when ever I choose to use garment Creator too.

Here are some of my results.

Comfort Color Tee;

Gildan Ultra 2000 Tee;

A Civil War Re-enactment group;

One time on the pre-treatment;

Same exact print made on the next shirt except this time with double pre-treatment;

Gildan Ultra 2000 Light Blue Tee;

Here is a Bella Ladies Tank, very tough to get a good looking print on.

The tee on the right was pretreated once, the one on the left was pretreated twice. Big difference.

Some Comfort Color Customer Giveaways;

Two more Comfort Color Tees done as practice prints;

Customer Tees printed on Comfort Color Tees also;

Work shirt printed on Comfort Color Tee about 6 months ago. Worn and washed at least once a week.

I hope this helped somebody out. Any questions feel free to send me a PM or ask in this thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gatorGRAFIX For This Useful Post:
idiver (January 17th, 2017), Pictish (March 23rd, 2018), tim3560 (August 12th, 2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2017 Feb 5, 2017 3:33:52 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: How I Print On Gildan Ultra 2000's and Comfort Color Tees

That's dope thanks for sharing. Are you using normal amount of pretreat each time? For example 20 grams + 20 grams = 40 g? Or are you cutting the grams in half to around 10 grams per treatment so 20 total grams?

Old February 6th, 2017 Feb 6, 2017 8:35:55 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Most of the time, yes but sometimes I tend to experiment a bit as I go along. My SpeedTreater is usually set at 45 with Epson pretreatment running through it. Since almost all of my DTG orders are of 24 or more I can easily vary it up between the first few shirts until I get it just right.

For short runs I just pre-treat twice at the same setting.

Now, not all pre-treatments and pre-treaters are created equal. I have found that some pre-treatments are thicker than others which would require a slower speed on the pre-treater machine.

I tend to mix my Epson pre-treat a little thin so I like to increase the speed when I use it. I have been using a lot of IA in the past and I still like it a lot but since I got a big container of Epson's pretreatment that you mix 50/50 with water I have been using it on everything. I like it a lot too.

You can see that he comfort color tees look a little bit like window screens because they are a bit corse when compared to ringspun tees but I am getting excellent results printing on them.

Last edited by gatorGRAFIX; February 6th, 2017 at 12:51 PM..

Old February 6th, 2017 Feb 6, 2017 12:44:47 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Rob

thanks for sharing, we appreciate the comments as we just go into DTG last year.

The Following User Says Thank You to ralbert For This Useful Post:
gatorGRAFIX (February 6th, 2017)
Old February 6th, 2017 Feb 6, 2017 2:46:55 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

2 questions: 1) how did you apply pretreat on the light blue shirt? We just started printing with our printer, and the pretreat leaves terrible stains on the same light blue shirt. And, 2) what's the washability?

Old February 6th, 2017 Feb 6, 2017 3:07:35 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

I have had that problem myself. Switching to Epson pre-treat has helped me with that issue a lot but sometimes it can still happen on really light colors.

I'd say back off your heat press time to 40-45 seconds even when printing white ink. Back off the pressure setting also. Try heating as little time as possible when drying the pre-treatment on the tee. That seems to be when I have noticed t-shirt yellowing occurring the worst.

You might want to experiment with a different brand of pre-treatment for certain colors too. Even changing t-shirt brand color to color helps sometimes too.

Unfortunately when being a new DTG printer you'll have to go through a few highs and lows until you figure out just what works right for you.

I use an EZ ZSpeedTreater at a setting of between 35 and 45 depending on how thick my pretreat seems to be and how thick the garment is and sometimes even what color tee I am printing on.

Washability for me is excellent. You don't want a pre-treated soaking wet tee, you simply want a tee that is coated nicely, dried, pre-treated again and then dried again. Ready to print. It sounds like a lot of time and effort but it really isn't, especially when you get a good rhythm going.

Last edited by gatorGRAFIX; February 9th, 2017 at 08:27 AM..

Old February 9th, 2017 Feb 9, 2017 4:47:38 AM -   #7 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,066 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorGRAFIX
I have had that problem myself. Switching to Epson pre-treat has helped me with that issue a lot but sometimes it can still happen on really light colors.

I'd say back off your heat press time to 40-45 seconds even when printing white ink. Back off the pressure setting also. Try heating as little time as possible when drying the pre-treatment on the tee. That seems to be when I have noticed t-shirt yellowing occurring the worst.

You might want to experiment with a different brand of pre-treatment for certain colors too. Even changing t-shirt brand color to color helps sometimes too.

Unfortunately when being a new DTG printer you'll have toi go through a few highs and lows until you figure out just what works right for you.

I use an EZ ZSpeedTreater at a setting of between 35 and 45 depending on how thick my pretreat seems to be and how thick the garment is and sometimes even what color tee I am printing on.

Washability for me is excellent. You don't want a pre-treated soaking wet tee, you simply want a tee that is coated nicely, dried, pre-treated again and then dried again. Ready to print. It sounds like a lot of time and effort but it really isn't, especially when you get a good rhythm going.

Very nice. As you've demonstrated, using pretreatment correctly plays a major role in getting great prints.

_
gatorGRAFIX likes this.

Old May 31st, 2017 May 31, 2017 1:07:36 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

A couple more Gildan prints.

Old May 31st, 2017 May 31, 2017 3:13:06 PM -   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

HELLO- Q: Are these the cheapest Gildan 50/50 blends that you are printing on?
thanks
Poochnna

Old June 1st, 2017 Jun 1, 2017 8:32:16 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

These are Gildan Ultra Cotton 200 tees. I stay away from 50/50 blends.

Old June 21st, 2017 Jun 21, 2017 7:00:52 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Comfort Color tee. Digital Factory. Stock settings with one pass white. Pre-treated on an EZ Speed Treater with Epson pretreatment twice before printing.

Old June 26th, 2017 Jun 26, 2017 6:02:35 PM -   #12 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,066 Times in 914 Posts

Geno,

Great looking prints. Even though we think there are better shirt brands to use in direct to garment printing you have demonstrated that with a little practice you can do an excellent print on Gildan t's.

_
gatorGRAFIX likes this.

Old June 27th, 2017 Jun 27, 2017 10:18:18 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Thanks. Not all of us want to print on $4.00 tees

Old June 29th, 2017 Jun 29, 2017 9:52:30 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Eric Deem
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorGRAFIX
Thanks. Not all of us want to print on $4.00 tees
I have found that I get really good results on a Fruit 3931 - much better than a G2000 and they're cheaper!!!

Old June 29th, 2017 Jun 29, 2017 10:49:25 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Thanks Eric. I'll have to give them a try myself.

This is a discussion about How I Print On Gildan Ultra 2000's and Comfort Color Tees that was posted in the Epson SureColor DTG Printers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in