Can I switch from Discharge Ink to White Ink ? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Epson SureColor DTG Printers
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Epson Brand SureColor garment printer owners.

Can I switch from Discharge Ink to White Ink ?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 5th, 2016 Mar 5, 2016 8:52:34 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Smile Can I switch from Discharge Ink to White Ink ?

Well, I have some questions for those who are experienced in the DTG industry.

As a newbie , I'm still trying to figure out how things goes.

I have an Epson 3890 (Looks like Epson 3880 & 3800 but modified) .. I bought it from chinese manufacturer for affordable price.
It has 8 channels of Ink (CMYK +WWWW) .. It uses water based ink CMYK and Discharge ink in the white channels.

I'm not very fond with discharge ink after a while of trying it out, the images doesn't come out on garment vibrant and colorful as I see in the videos for other printers printing on Pure white (Though Discharge ink have much much less problems -almost no problems if you took care of ventilation)

The printer doesn't require pre-treatment for garments and the wash ability is great, So I never used any pre-treatment on my garments before.

My questions Are:-
1-in my printer Can I switch to white instead of Discharge ink . or my printer is programmed and designed to use discharge ink only ?
2-Should I use and try a pre-treatment even though the selling point of the printer was that it doesn't require any ?
3-is there any better inks other than water based .. or these are the best and If so .. what are the best place to buy affordable yet best quality of water based inks in case of CMYK & W ?
4-The White on Black is never white .. it's always creamy .. Can I overcome this .. since it's bleached with Discharge ink ?
5-The black (colors over all) are bit faded on light garments with one pass .. with 2 passes they're perfect .. is there a way that I make it best from one pass only ?

I'd appreciate any help in that matter .. I don't have any technical support here in Egypt .. and I already took a lot of valuable information from T-shirt Forums and I hope you can also help me with my inquiries.

Thank you . waiting for responses to my long thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2016 Mar 7, 2016 8:53:41 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Eric Deem
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default Re: Can I switch from Discharge Ink to White Ink ?

Completely wrong area of the site. This section is specifically for the Epson F2000 DTG Printer and no other models. I would suggest posting in the general section.

The Following User Says Thank You to EricDeem For This Useful Post:
sokobezoo (March 9th, 2016)
Old March 9th, 2016 Mar 9, 2016 7:14:07 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Can the admin please remove it from here to this general section or should I post it there myself ?
And thank you for reaching to me .. maybe that's why no one is replying to my questions

Old March 9th, 2016 Mar 9, 2016 8:14:50 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Jay

I think your one of the only TSF members with a discharge DTG set up, since it's a new thing. You can do really cool prints with just the discharge base and no colors. You have an advantage over the others until they sell more of those. You may want to market that ability while you have a head start, the others will be catching up soon.

Old March 11th, 2016 Mar 11, 2016 7:19:24 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Member

Discharge is not new, Mimaki had it years ago. Formaldehyde scares people away....

Old March 12th, 2016 Mar 12, 2016 3:01:31 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTGDude
Discharge is not new, Mimaki had it years ago. Formaldehyde scares people away....
LOL! I didn't mean new yesterday. In this industry I consider a few years, new. look at how many people can still only DTG lights cuz they haven't been able to upgrade. I've been screening discharge since the early 90's and there are still more shops that don't do it than shops that do. Don't be afraid of the fumes, It just needs some ventilation.

Old March 12th, 2016 Mar 12, 2016 3:25:34 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Member

Just to make sure we are on the same page, when I said not new, Mimaki was one of the first DTG printers made. It was in the early years of DTG but they no longer make it. It didn't take off. A couple reasons are probably because people didn't want discharge and when you discharge certain shirts, you don't get white. This was more than a few years ago.

Old March 15th, 2016 Mar 15, 2016 8:30:40 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printor
I think your one of the only TSF members with a discharge DTG set up, since it's a new thing. You can do really cool prints with just the discharge base and no colors. You have an advantage over the others until they sell more of those. You may want to market that ability while you have a head start, the others will be catching up soon.
The discharge ink prints does feel way better than the normal DTG Inks .. you can't feel any texture what so ever ..

We have merchants here who are working with white instead of discharge ..and I find my prints way better than him .. the only disadvantage that discharge doesn't make the prints on dark garments bright enough .. it's always darker than the ones using white ink .. and that is the only reason why I consider changing to white ink ..
Otherwise it also requires more testing to make the colors good but since we make our own designs and sell it then that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm literally the only one in my country "EGYPT" who uses discharge ink .. all others DTG use white ink

Old April 2nd, 2016 Apr 2, 2016 11:42:03 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Sandor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokobezoo
Well, I have some questions for those who are experienced in the DTG industry.

As a newbie , I'm still trying to figure out how things goes.

I have an Epson 3890 (Looks like Epson 3880 & 3800 but modified) .. I bought it from chinese manufacturer for affordable price.
It has 8 channels of Ink (CMYK +WWWW) .. It uses water based ink CMYK and Discharge ink in the white channels.

I'm not very fond with discharge ink after a while of trying it out, the images doesn't come out on garment vibrant and colorful as I see in the videos for other printers printing on Pure white (Though Discharge ink have much much less problems -almost no problems if you took care of ventilation)

The printer doesn't require pre-treatment for garments and the wash ability is great, So I never used any pre-treatment on my garments before.

My questions Are:-
1-in my printer Can I switch to white instead of Discharge ink . or my printer is programmed and designed to use discharge ink only ?
2-Should I use and try a pre-treatment even though the selling point of the printer was that it doesn't require any ?
3-is there any better inks other than water based .. or these are the best and If so .. what are the best place to buy affordable yet best quality of water based inks in case of CMYK & W ?
4-The White on Black is never white .. it's always creamy .. Can I overcome this .. since it's bleached with Discharge ink ?
5-The black (colors over all) are bit faded on light garments with one pass .. with 2 passes they're perfect .. is there a way that I make it best from one pass only ?

I'd appreciate any help in that matter .. I don't have any technical support here in Egypt .. and I already took a lot of valuable information from T-shirt Forums and I hope you can also help me with my inquiries.

Thank you . waiting for responses to my long thread
We looking for discharge ink for direct to garmnet printer.
Help me please..

This is a discussion about Can I switch from Discharge Ink to White Ink ? that was posted in the Epson SureColor DTG Printers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in