Need Help with Settings - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Epson SureColor DTG Printers
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Epson Brand SureColor garment printer owners.

Need Help with Settings

Like Tree21Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old December 7th, 2015 Dec 7, 2015 12:43:45 PM -   #31 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Geno
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Need Help with Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSuper8
Good Morning,

Yes, I have a Wagner already. I guess I did make it sound like I used pump "bottle". In the future, we will be buying a pretreatment machine as gatorGRAFIX suggested. My husband has already made that point clear...lol.
If you buy one you'll indeed love it. Built sturdy and powder coated. I love mine. It gives you a nice even adjustable spray.

All I do is pre-treat, press and I am ready to print.
DSuper8 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2015 Dec 7, 2015 12:46:52 PM -   #32 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Dolores
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorGRAFIX
If you buy one you'll indeed love it. Built sturdy and powder coated. I love mine. It gives you a nice even adjustable spray.

All I do is pre-treat, press and I am ready to print.
Quick question, Do you only use Epson Pre-treat or do you prefer another?

Old December 7th, 2015 Dec 7, 2015 1:34:01 PM -   #33 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

I have never used the Epson pre-treat. I use Image Armor Ultra Dark. For me it works the best on everything and you can buy it form EZ by the gallon.

Remember - when printing on white t's you don't pre-treat at all but you'll want to double strike each shirt (print twice).

Old December 7th, 2015 Dec 7, 2015 2:11:24 PM -   #34 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Why do you print twice on whites?

Old December 7th, 2015 Dec 7, 2015 2:18:05 PM -   #35 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

So that your print is more vibrant and it holds up in the wash.

Old December 7th, 2015 Dec 7, 2015 2:39:18 PM -   #36 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Dan

We don't double print (with the Epson or our previous DTG printer) and have never had a complaint in over 6 years. If we must have a more vibrant print (which is rare) we use a light pre treat which to us looks better than double printing. It also minimizes any potential bleed issues that might occur.
DSuper8 likes this.

Old December 7th, 2015 Dec 7, 2015 9:26:40 PM -   #37 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Mark

Quote:
Good Morning,

I'm using the Gildan 2000, which I've used for another print and it worked great. But it wasn't a black t-shirt, it was blue.

I pretreated used a hand sprayer then squeegeeing it down. Later my Melco rep advised I used be using a roller???

I'm thinking it's due to the fact that not enough white is going down before the rest of the logo prints.

Now my settings,

I'm doing Level (3) on Color and White
Printing Bi-Direction
Auto Profile
20 sec pause
Ink Density is at 0
White Management is White(Design) is checked
Reduce White Area is 4
Under White is on
Color Settings everything is 0

My logo is not Popping like it should. Because the lack of a bright white, the color print on top looks lack luster.

I've attached the logo for you to see.

Thanks for letting us know what settings you were using Dolores. Garment Creator (GC) is good free software but it takes some understanding/experimenting to get the best out of it, especially on substandard weaves of fabric like Gildan tees. They're certainly not the best tees for DTG printing, and those that do print on them using DTG, have a RIP so they can manipulate the base white coverage.

The problem with GC is the way it lays down the base white. It's a real 'thinker' concerning the coverage, and that can be difficult when trying to achieve great results on mediocre garments. On a crap garment all you want for this design is a solid ellipse of base white. But on level 3 in GC the first pass of white looks like this:

I have chosen a rag shirt to show you but I still don't have anything lying around as bad as a Gildan. On a Gildan the first pass of level 3 white would look a lot worse. The second pass in GC is merely a highlight white with no more white base going under the colours where you need it.

GC takes into account the depth of the colours and puts down what it feels is the correct amount of base white under those colours. This is OK when printing on the best of fabric, but not on crap fabric. The end result on GC level 3 white standard settings on an 'OK' shirt should end up like this:

What you need to do is set your white quality to level 2 and increase the density to 50 - 60. This is one pass of white, and by increasing the density it knocks out that stupid thinking that GC does under simple spot colours. The result on an 'OK' garment will look like this, no doubt worse on a Gildan:

Normally this is all you need on a quality garment that has been pretreated correctly. But if you find you don't have enough base white coverage, at this point you can cancel the job before the next pass, (as long as you have a pause in place), and then you start again with the same file. This allows you to to do two passes of base white. Using a RIP you have complete control over the amount of under white you can print in one pass which is perfect for printing crap garments, but not with GC. It simply will not put enough white down in one pass on a crap garment. By cancelling the job after the first pass then restarting you'll get two nice layers of solid under white:

It looks heavy because I'm not printing on a Gildan but you should understand and hopefully this helps. The end result should look like this:

To avoid having to do all this you could just source better quality garments or get a RIP that gives you more control over white coverage. And don't be afraid to lay down more pretreat.

Last edited by Mammath; December 7th, 2015 at 10:11 PM..

Old December 8th, 2015 Dec 8, 2015 2:57:01 AM -   #38 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammath
Thanks for letting us know what settings you were using Dolores. Garment Creator (GC) is good free software but it takes some understanding/experimenting to get the best out of it, especially on substandard weaves of fabric like Gildan tees. They're certainly not the best tees for DTG printing, and those that do print on them using DTG, have a RIP so they can manipulate the base white coverage.

The problem with GC is the way it lays down the base white. It's a real 'thinker' concerning the coverage, and that can be difficult when trying to achieve great results on mediocre garments. On a crap garment all you want for this design is a solid ellipse of base white. But on level 3 in GC the first pass of white looks like this:

I have chosen a rag shirt to show you but I still don't have anything lying around as bad as a Gildan. On a Gildan the first pass of level 3 white would look a lot worse. The second pass in GC is merely a highlight white with no more white base going under the colours where you need it.

GC takes into account the depth of the colours and puts down what it feels is the correct amount of base white under those colours. This is OK when printing on the best of fabric, but not on crap fabric. The end result on GC level 3 white standard settings on an 'OK' shirt should end up like this:

What you need to do is set your white quality to level 2 and increase the density to 50 - 60. This is one pass of white, and by increasing the density it knocks out that stupid thinking that GC does under simple spot colours. The result on an 'OK' garment will look like this, no doubt worse on a Gildan:

Normally this is all you need on a quality garment that has been pretreated correctly. But if you find you don't have enough base white coverage, at this point you can cancel the job before the next pass, (as long as you have a pause in place), and then you start again with the same file. This allows you to to do two passes of base white. Using a RIP you have complete control over the amount of under white you can print in one pass which is perfect for printing crap garments, but not with GC. It simply will not put enough white down in one pass on a crap garment. By cancelling the job after the first pass then restarting you'll get two nice layers of solid under white:

It looks heavy because I'm not printing on a Gildan but you should understand and hopefully this helps. The end result should look like this:

To avoid having to do all this you could just source better quality garments or get a RIP that gives you more control over white coverage. And don't be afraid to lay down more pretreat.
Thanks. I finished the order yesterday. I pretreated the crap out of it and used level 3. I've advised the customer that they need to move to Anvil/LAT t-shirts, but I'm going to try your settings to see if they can avoid this.

Old December 8th, 2015 Dec 8, 2015 8:22:54 AM -   #39 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammath

On a crap garment all you want for this design is a solid ellipse of base white. But on level 3 in GC the first pass of white looks like this:

GC takes into account the depth of the colours and puts down what it feels is the correct amount of base white under those colours. This is OK when printing on the best of fabric, but not on crap fabric.
Say what you will about your ring spun t's that's just fine and I know most of the DTG crowd likes to use them but you talking "crap" about Gildan Ultra 2000 t's is just an incorrect statement. Your comments about that are misleading. Just because you don't know how or can't get a good print on a Gildan Ultra doesn't mean that someone else can't.

There are others as well as me that have had great success with printing on Gildan Ultras. I have posted many many t-shirt print pictures on this forum and all of them have been printed on Gildan t's.

Everyone needs to find their own way and I encourage a lot of experimentation with a DTG. What works for one may not necessarily work for another. I don't like printing on ring spun t's but you don't hear me telling anyone (especially someone new) top stay away from them.

Now if you want to keep digging at me and have another one of our boring pissing wars than holler at me privately and we'll handle this like men. That will be just fine with me too.

Old December 8th, 2015 Dec 8, 2015 12:19:40 PM -   #40 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
Say what you will about your ring spun t's that's just fine and I know most of the DTG crowd likes to use them but you talking "crap" about Gildan Ultra 2000 t's is just an incorrect statement. Your comments about that are misleading. Just because you don't know how or can't get a good print on a Gildan Ultra doesn't mean that someone else can't.

There are others as well as me that have had great success with printing on Gildan Ultras. I have posted many many t-shirt print pictures on this forum and all of them have been printed on Gildan t's.

Everyone needs to find their own way and I encourage a lot of experimentation with a DTG. What works for one may not necessarily work for another. I don't like printing on ring spun t's but you don't hear me telling anyone (especially someone new) top stay away from them.

Now if you want to keep digging at me and have another one of our boring pissing wars than holler at me privately and we'll handle this like men. That will be just fine with me too.
Dude please, what is your problem? You think everything is about you and you're so bloody sensitive. I grow weary of your insecurities and jumping into threads with your butt hurt attitude.

So now you're offended because I said Gildan tees are crap for DTG printing? Are you serious? That is hilarious! You wanna sing Gildan's praises well good for you, maybe you're after a kickback or something, but the consensus is they're certainly not the best for DTG.

I use quality brushed cotton tees not ring spun by the way, and I can print on any quality of garment using GC or Kothari. But the better the garment quality, the less pretreat and white ink I use.

My post has nothing to do with you and I shared a GC technique on how to print on low quality garments to help the OP. Stop butting in trying to start arguments in threads. Your creating a bad reputation for yourself around here for doing so and I'm fed up with it. Good day!
okprinter likes this.

Old December 8th, 2015 Dec 8, 2015 2:42:53 PM -   #41 (permalink)
r81
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Ryan

I have never had the same result using a Gildan shirts they just suck compared to a nice tightly woven premium garment. Gildan shirts also require twice the about of PT to get even a slightly acceptable print.. Maybe your Gildan shirts are different to what is available to the rest of the world.. And I agree with Mark about the above comments - What is your problem with him? he was just being helpful and stating different techniques that achieve awesome results

Cheers
Ryan
Mammath and okprinter like this.

Old December 9th, 2015 Dec 9, 2015 5:23:47 AM -   #42 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Eric Deem
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
This is true to some degree but at the end of the day most people will see a much better end result with less pretreat and less ink required on a ringspun shirt. I found a video that explains a little more:

https://youtu.be/Uu0P1s-vL2c?list=PL...jtQNUAYeXrR8Z8
Mammath likes this.

Old December 9th, 2015 Dec 9, 2015 10:45:54 PM -   #43 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
Thanks. I finished the order yesterday. I pretreated the crap out of it and used level 3. I've advised the customer that they need to move to Anvil/LAT t-shirts, but I'm going to try your settings to see if they can avoid this.
Good to hear Dolores. There are at least 10 other brands of garments that will save you time, pretreat, white ink, etc., before you need to print on an inferior/cheap 'sweatshop' brands of garments.

Gildan garments are cheap, this improves your margins, but when you factor in the extra expenses to achieve greatness... all you're doing is 'shinning a turd'.
DSuper8 likes this.

Old December 11th, 2015 Dec 11, 2015 2:21:28 PM -   #44 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Well, if you two don't see the snarkiness and sarcasm in the last few "Gildans are crap" posts then I can't help you.

It's no secret that I use Gildan Ultra 2000 t's and ever since the NeoRIP/Digital Factory thread it's been all down hill. I get excellent results on the Gildans and i as well as my customers like them. You can talk about your successes all you like but when you make a blanket statement about products that I use and I find you to be wrong I am going to pipe up about it.

Maybe you get polished turd results way down under because you just don't know how to print them properly. Who knows. That's not my problem.

Oh yeah, and don't hand me that "innocent angel" crap 'cause I ain't buying it.

Last edited by gatorGRAFIX; December 11th, 2015 at 02:50 PM..

Old December 11th, 2015 Dec 11, 2015 11:31:11 PM -   #45 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
Well, if you two don't see the snarkiness and sarcasm in the last few "Gildans are crap" posts then I can't help you.

It's no secret that I use Gildan Ultra 2000 t's and ever since the NeoRIP/Digital Factory thread it's been all down hill. I get excellent results on the Gildans and i as well as my customers like them. You can talk about your successes all you like but when you make a blanket statement about products that I use and I find you to be wrong I am going to pipe up about it.

Maybe you get polished turd results way down under because you just don't know how to print them properly. Who knows. That's not my problem.

Oh yeah, and don't hand me that "innocent angel" crap 'cause I ain't buying it.

Geno, I'm disappointed with you. I stay focussed on the print. I move on from 'past internet hurts'. Quickly.

I print, I fail, I achieve, then I endeavour to educate others. Just trying to be helpful. ( That innocent angel)

What I don't understand is why you don't show us this image printed on a Gildan shirt, using GC, step by step, to help out the OP?

What are your 'settings' procedure for printing Dolores's image on a Gildan tee? You say I can't do it? I just showed the OP how using GC!

All round disappointed with your responses.

This is a discussion about Need Help with Settings that was posted in the Epson SureColor DTG Printers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in