Random Auto Clean Wastage - Page 7 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Epson SureColor DTG Printers
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Epson Brand SureColor garment printer owners.

Random Auto Clean Wastage

Like Tree65Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 28th, 2016 Jan 28, 2016 2:53:21 AM -   #91 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Brandon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Random Auto Clean Wastage

Seems to me like no solution. Their recommendations would just waste more ink.

I too experience many auto cleans, and sometimes my color nozzles drop as well after. With them providing that answer, sadly it seems to just be something that has to be dealt with.

Also, prolonging the white tube flush does not do much if the printer is being used frequently so that is definitely not the issue at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2016 Jan 28, 2016 3:16:47 AM -   #92 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Roy

Agree, the proposed solution does not seem like it is a real solution... More like we really do not know so what does our manual say... Just do what we said in the printer manual.... And does not explain why it did not do this initially.... Sure wish Epson would get serious about helping to improve the printer and make it better for the owner's bottom line, which would cause them to sell more printers... And more ink going onto product instead of saying the solution is to waste more ink..

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Old January 28th, 2016 Jan 28, 2016 4:23:26 AM -   #93 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammath
Update:

Epson have looked over the data retrieved from my F2000 and have suggested the following to limit the amount of auto-cleans:

1. Update Firmware
2. Turn on 'Power On Cleaning'.
3. Do not prolong monthly tube flush.

First one is no biggy but I haven't heard the latest firmware (Aug 2015) does anything to stop auto-cleans.

Turning on the 'Power On Cleaning' wastes 18ml of ink in comparison to the light clean I usually do in the morning that wastes 2ml of ink. That's an extra 16ml of wasted ink per day. So based on a 5 day week that's an extra 320ml per month of wasted white ink. (3.84L per year)

I do stretch out the white tube flush by a couple of weeks so I get away with 8 per year not 12. Doing it every month will waste an extra 1.3L of ink per year.

Summary:

So in order to reduce the frequency of these senseless auto-cleans that waste an extra 4.8L of ink per year, Epson recommend I waste a extra 5.14L of ink per year! And that's providing these suggestions from Epson stop the auto-cleans altogether.

This is a lose-lose situation and a rather disappointing outcome to the situation.
I can't but help but laugh at how dumb of an answer that is. To stop the auto cleans waste more ink. I don't think any one has an issue with the time it takes to complete an auto clean as so much as the amount of ink an auto clean wastes. Sure wish Epson could see the difference. On a side note I have been keeping a log to see if my theory of nozzles slightly clogging prompts the auto clean when printing with only white and CMYK gumming up a hair or the other way around. I have also added to my log what the weather is and temp/ humidity in the room. I don't have a large enough sample to make a decent guess (yay I remembered something from statistics class all those years ago!) But from what it is looking like right now when printing 5 or more shirts that are only using CMYK or white and the humidity dips below 42% and the temp fall below 73F but I don't have enough data yet to say yep this is it. I will let everyone know if I get a pattern I can repeat. I know this still doesn't account for the auto clean after the head cleaning/ nozzle checks. I'm leaning towards something environmental or maybe it's the way the planets are orbiting Jupiter or maybe Epson wants us to just waste through ink. But I will let everyone know what I find.

Old January 28th, 2016 Jan 28, 2016 2:50:35 PM -   #94 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Mark

I agree with what you guys are saying. It's not a solution at all.

I've been advised by those more knowledgable than me that the F2000 doesn't have the ability to recognise when nozzles aren't firing, so that's not the reason it auto-cleans.

The fix for this lies in the firmware. That's what needs to be changed. Rewrite the firmware and bring out an update, problem solved. Whether that will ever happen? I don't know. But it would be in Epson's best interest if they want to retain customers.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mammath For This Useful Post:
okprinter (January 28th, 2016)
Old February 3rd, 2016 Feb 3, 2016 7:57:36 PM -   #95 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Update:

As expected updating the firmware, turning on the 'Power On Cleaning' has changed nothing other than increase the ink wastage. The random senseless auto cleans are still occurring just like they always have.
okprinter likes this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mammath For This Useful Post:
asuanlarm (February 3rd, 2016), Ghoster32111 (February 4th, 2016), okprinter (February 4th, 2016)
Old March 11th, 2016 Mar 11, 2016 5:00:26 AM -   #96 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I checked the amount of ink wasted until now, and it seems better than was expected (ok from my point of view)
I'm at 10500 prints, and the ink wasted for all maintenance operations is 11L. Around 1,05 ml for print (of course including white garments that are 3800).
I haven't any real comparison with other printers, but for my business this is more than affordable.
Just a side note: the first time that I spoke with the epson technician, he told me that the tube washing can be postponed of 15 days. That means 1,3L less ink at the year and doesn't affect the maintenance quality (I changed only one time the damper kit at 6500 prints).

Old March 11th, 2016 Mar 11, 2016 5:55:11 AM -   #97 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jerid
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,122 Times in 788 Posts

Hi Mattia, I don't think the issue is so much how much ink is being wasted, although that is a concern (about $0.40 USD per print). I believe where people are taking issue is even with this wasted time and ink, the F2000 is still experiencing issues that seem to be ink related and key components need replaced.

We have a unit here and it has needed a head replaced due to white ink dropping out and the last we used it, there were cyan issues. If the ink wastage guaranteed a higher percentage of no downtime, then I think the cost could be justifiable.

Old March 11th, 2016 Mar 11, 2016 8:31:52 AM -   #98 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Hi Jerid,
ok, I'm agree with you, but here, from how I have understood the topic, we are talking about the ink wastage, so, I started from the assumption that all machines works fine with no other problems.
There are a lot of topic that discuss about the issues of the F2000 and now, reading the forum, seems that talk about these issues everywhere is the only way to talk about the F2000.
I was scared about this, but honestly, in 9 months, I have experimented only few days of partial downtime for a minor problem. Never changed a head or other parts (except the damper kit). I'm also considering the buying of a second machine and the only reasons that slow down my enthusiasm are that here all people seems to have issues!

In any case, these auto-cleans seems to do nothing of useful also to me
gatorGRAFIX likes this.

Old March 13th, 2016 Mar 13, 2016 10:44:11 PM -   #99 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Geno
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I get them from time to time myself. Still not sure why. I agree it's agravating and I don't buy the Epson "over heating" garbage either.

The other day I had just powered up, cleaned the heads and did a nozzle check. Printed on dark colored t-shirt and the auto clean kicked in.

Other than that I love my machine just fine. It prints just awesome. A few tweaks by Epson would raise the F2000 to another level I think.

Old March 23rd, 2016 Mar 23, 2016 1:23:21 AM -   #100 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

there are surely many factors that the printer use to start a cleaning. After this period of intense production I can tell that one is related to the number of prints.
In my case, about every 70-80 prints, it start. So in these days, with a daily production of about 150-160 black t-shirts, 2 cleaning a day were starting.
Normally one per day when the daily production is of about 90 prints. Less than one per day when the prints are few (30-40).

Old March 23rd, 2016 Mar 23, 2016 3:15:02 AM -   #101 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelion
there are surely many factors that the printer use to start a cleaning. After this period of intense production I can tell that one is related to the number of prints.
In my case, about every 70-80 prints, it start. So in these days, with a daily production of about 150-160 black t-shirts, 2 cleaning a day were starting.
Normally one per day when the daily production is of about 90 prints. Less than one per day when the prints are few (30-40).
Thanks for the feedback. This supports the statement that there is definitely no reason for the auto-clean because if you're pumping out the numbers, and ink is passing through the head... why the need for an auto clean, ever?

Old March 23rd, 2016 Mar 23, 2016 5:51:18 AM -   #102 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammath
Thanks for the feedback. This supports the statement that there is definitely no reason for the auto-clean because if you're pumping out the numbers, and ink is passing through the head... why the need for an auto clean, ever?
could be done to prevent clogging problems, but of course it seems only a waste of ink, especially for who are able to properly maintain the printer.
Not all users are skilled and probably not all users follow the maintenance rules. So an auto clean sometimes could be fix these distractions.This is the only explanation that i found unless to think to a deliberate ink consumption into the firmware.

Old May 12th, 2016 May 12, 2016 12:18:04 AM -   #103 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

I got a call this morning from my Epson rep' telling me there is new firmware released today to address the auto-clean issue. The Version is CL01604270. I haven't installed it yet so no idea what it does, but looking forward to finding out. Get on it comrades.

Old August 27th, 2016 Aug 27, 2016 6:54:29 AM -   #104 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

[QUOTE=Mammath;3655489]I got a call this morning from my Epson rep' telling me there is new firmware released today to address the auto-clean issue. The Version is CL01604270. I haven't installed it yet so no idea what it does, but looking forward to finding out. Get on it comrades. [/QUOTE

Did the firmware update work for you

Old August 28th, 2016 Aug 28, 2016 4:22:55 PM -   #105 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmatheson
Did the firmware update work for you

The new firmware adds a visible timer to the display which counts down 6hrs of actual print time between auto cleans. It also adds a preventative clean to the menu to reset the timer which is a 4 minute Medium Clean. The auto clean has been reduced to a Medium Clean instead of a 7 minute Heavy Clean. You also can do a medium Clean which will reset the timer.

There is also a temperature warning on the display when/if the head is overheating which also causes the auto clean.

The printer will still auto clean on start up if you skip a day of use, (like take a break for the weekend), so Monday morning when you turn the printer on it will auto clean after circulation.

So although the printer will still auto clean sometimes and does require a Medium clean every 6 hours of print time, I think it's an improvement over the old firmware.

This is a discussion about Random Auto Clean Wastage that was posted in the Epson SureColor DTG Printers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in