Great prints looking terrible after pressing - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Epson SureColor DTG Printers
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Epson Brand SureColor garment printer owners.

Great prints looking terrible after pressing

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 21st, 2015 Sep 21, 2015 12:19:25 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Great prints looking terrible after pressing

I have run into a problem when printing black garments. The white and colors look perfect - vibrant, bright whites, etc.. but then after using the heat press they look terrible. The whites lose brightness, and all colors look dull.

I know that the heat press pressure can play a role in this, and the less pressure I use the better they look but even at the LEAST amount of pressure possible they are still losing vibrance. Especially with sweatshirts, as they are much thicker.

I am using epson pre-treatment diluted 1-1. I press the shirts with high pressure right before printing, then use light pressure for 90 seconds at 339 degrees after printing. I've tried both kraft paper & parchment paper and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I am using this heat press: Model 228 | Heat Press Machines | Insta Graphic Systems Products | Insta Graphic Systems

Are there any other factors I'm not considering that contributes to dull prints? I'm willing to try anything at this point!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2015 Sep 21, 2015 5:04:08 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: James

Default Re: Great prints looking terrible after pressing

Heat plays a factor in how the prints look I would confirm with a temp gun that you are not drying the images at to high a heat. Also it seems to help for vibrancy I have noticed if you hover for a min or so before pressing (not sure if your doing it that way or not) Most presses can have a +/- of 10 degrees (or more) despite what the readout says.

Old September 21st, 2015 Sep 21, 2015 5:17:19 AM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,072 Times in 919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronseminoff
I have run into a problem when printing black garments. The white and colors look perfect - vibrant, bright whites, etc.. but then after using the heat press they look terrible. The whites lose brightness, and all colors look dull.

I know that the heat press pressure can play a role in this, and the less pressure I use the better they look but even at the LEAST amount of pressure possible they are still losing vibrance. Especially with sweatshirts, as they are much thicker.

I am using epson pre-treatment diluted 1-1. I press the shirts with high pressure right before printing, then use light pressure for 90 seconds at 339 degrees after printing. I've tried both kraft paper & parchment paper and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I am using this heat press: Model 228 | Heat Press Machines | Insta Graphic Systems Products | Insta Graphic Systems

Are there any other factors I'm not considering that contributes to dull prints? I'm willing to try anything at this point!

Thanks in advance

Could be several factors. The right heat press temperature is important, as noted. After you pretreat, how are you heat pressing the garment? Are you using a cover sheet? When you lift off the cover sheet is it gliding off or do you have to tug at it to come off. If you are tugging then the pretreat has not dried enough and when you tug it off you are also pulling a layer of pretreatment off.

_

Old September 21st, 2015 Sep 21, 2015 6:03:10 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: irv
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Sounds like a pretreat and temperature issue. Also what type of shirts are you using, after pretreating are you laying the fibers in the same direction before pressing, if not when you press after printing the ink is dispersing.

Old September 21st, 2015 Sep 21, 2015 8:23:25 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Sound like you have a dye migration problem caused by the garment having a significant ammount of polyester.

This is a discussion about Great prints looking terrible after pressing that was posted in the Epson SureColor DTG Printers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in