A few questions I can't find answers to on the forums - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Epson SureColor DTG Printers
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Epson Brand SureColor garment printer owners.

A few questions I can't find answers to on the forums

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By idonaldson
  • 1 Post By spiderx1
  • 2 Post By spiderx1

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 3rd, 2015 Sep 3, 2015 11:05:36 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default A few questions I can't find answers to on the forums

Hey guys, sorry if any of these are on here I scoured the forums and couldn't find any answers on these:

1. I can't seem to be able to get the contrast/brightness from my prints. The shirt on the left is screenprinted and the one on the right is DTG. It just looks muddy no contrast. Any suggestions on how to get my whites brighter and thicker?

2. What is the optimal heat press workflow for dark pre-treated shirts - before pre-treatment, after pre-treatment, and after printing (I am using the standard epson pretreatment diluted 1:1)

3. Do I need to use a piece of kraft paper when pressing after pretreat but before printing, or can I just let the heat press directly touch the pretreated shirt?

4. How long will pretreated shirts stay good before needing to pretreat them again (I want to pretreat a bunch of tees and store them until I need them).

5. When printing on dark garments the ink feels heavy and very "waxy". I thought this would become softer and more absorbed after washing the shirts but nothing seems to help. Its similar to plastisol printed shirts but more waxy.

Thanks very much in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0998.jpg (329.6 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by aaronseminoff; September 4th, 2015 at 12:05 AM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2015 Sep 4, 2015 6:18:04 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Eric Deem
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default Re: A few questions I can't find answers to on the forums

1. I can't seem to be able to get the contrast/brightness from my prints. The shirt on the left is screenprinted and the one on the right is DTG. It just looks muddy no contrast. Any suggestions on how to get my whites brighter and thicker? Are you using Garment Creator or a 3rd party RIP software? What is the file type, dpi and color profile? How does the image look on screen (photoshop/corel)?

2. What is the optimal heat press workflow for dark pre-treated shirts - before pre-treatment, after pre-treatment, and after printing (I am using the standard epson pretreatment diluted 1:1) Remove shirt from box, press for 10 seconds to flatten fibers, spray PT and press with heavy pressure for 30 seconds or until dry. Once done the shirt can be printed immediately or it can be stored for future use.

3. Do I need to use a piece of kraft paper when pressing after pretreat but before printing, or can I just let the heat press directly touch the pretreated shirt? If the PT is dry already you can just use the press without paper.

4. How long will pretreated shirts stay good before needing to pretreat them again (I want to pretreat a bunch of tees and store them until I need them). If stored in a cool dark space I have used shirts that were pretreated 6 months before being printed.

5. When printing on dark garments the ink feels heavy and very "waxy". I thought this would become softer and more absorbed after washing the shirts but nothing seems to help. Its similar to plastisol printed shirts but more waxy. Was a teflon cover used during the curing process? Teflon tends to leave a shiny more rubbery hand. Also it could be too much PT or too much white underbase.

Old September 4th, 2015 Sep 4, 2015 9:39:02 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: irv
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

1. looks muddy no contrast. Any suggestions on how to get my whites brighter and thicker?
a. What color profile are you using? I recommend a pantone or RGB palette. To increase white would depend on your RIP - go down in the adjustment area and increase the white density.

2. What is the optimal heat press workflow for dark pre-treated shirts - before pre-treatment, after pre-treatment, and after printing (I am using the standard epson pretreatment diluted 1:1)
a.Distill water yes? Pretreat ring spun shirt like hanes nano, brush fibers in one direction, heat press with cover, heavy pressure, fold towards itself until ready for use - shirts can last up to months depending on storage conditions. Press again prior to use - some do some don't if collecting moisture - press.

3. Do I need to use a piece of kraft paper when pressing after pretreat but before printing, or can I just let the heat press directly touch the pretreated shirt?
a. I like to use kraft paper - protects image and press. Should be using a top teflon cover which helps keep moisture out and prevent rusting internal components.

4. How long will pretreated shirts stay good before needing to pretreat them again (I want to pretreat a bunch of tees and store them until I need them).
a. storage conditions dependent - definitely 30 days

5. When printing on dark garments the ink feels heavy and very "waxy". I thought this would become softer and more absorbed after washing the shirts but nothing seems to help. Its similar to plastisol printed shirts but more waxy.
a. The feel is heavy due to the white ink underbase. The waxy feel is from the teflon. A rich underbase gives you a rich look. You can try to increase your pretreat and lessen your white underbase and use a silicone treated kraft paper.

Old September 5th, 2015 Sep 5, 2015 3:13:15 AM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,075 Times in 922 Posts

Try using parchment paper as a cover sheet when heat pressing the pretreat. The paper should be able to almost glide off the shirt when properly dry. If you need to tug at it to remove it the pretreat isn't yet dry enough.

Use silicone coated parchment paper as a cover sheet when drying the finished print.

_

Old September 5th, 2015 Sep 5, 2015 4:26:58 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Randy
Thanked 1,024 Times in 673 Posts

As far as brightness goes, it can be affected by several things. Press temp, u must be sure u know the temp not just what the read out says, all presses are off slightly. U should use a full contact temp probe to be sure. To hot can dull, although some dulling will alway occur, wet is brighter. I use 342 degrees knowing the temp will drop once the press is closed this keeps it at 335 which insures the min temp of 325 is reached for curing.
Pressure, very light on ink. 2 diff pressures are required, heavy for pretreat and very light for ink.
In your art try this, u may or may not be able to do this in your rip.
Levels, set black point and set white point, leave mids alone.
U can try under hue and saturation to increase lightness about 30 and increase saturation by 30. Not hard numbers. On the screen your print may look light but it will darken on print and cure.
Remember heat press results are determined by 3 variables. Temp, time, and pressure. Changing one will affect the others. i.e. Increase in pressure may yield similar results as increasing the temp. Like cooking a steak with weight on it, it cooks faster.
okprinter likes this.

Old September 5th, 2015 Sep 5, 2015 4:29:20 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Randy
Thanked 1,024 Times in 673 Posts

Using a teflon bra will effectively reduce temp to shirt by 10 degrees when compared to readout. Also Teflon produces a shiny finish vs silicon produces a more matt finish.

Old September 11th, 2015 Sep 11, 2015 6:17:30 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by equipmentzone
Try using parchment paper as a cover sheet when heat pressing the pretreat. The paper should be able to almost glide off the shirt when properly dry. If you need to tug at it to remove it the pretreat isn't yet dry enough.

Use silicone coated parchment paper as a cover sheet when drying the finished print.

_
@equipmentzone - Is it mandatory to to heat press immediately before applying pretreatment and immediately after pretreatment? I have been pressing the shirts before treating, then applying pre-treatment the next day and immediately hang drying them overnight, then pressing right before I print on them.

Is this incorrect?

Old September 11th, 2015 Sep 11, 2015 6:19:18 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by equipmentzone

_
Also @equipmentzone do I need to do anything different when pretreating sweatshirts? I really appreciate all of your advice and am planning on ordering my ink & accessories from you now.

Old September 12th, 2015 Sep 12, 2015 5:06:05 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Mark

I don't like the concept of pretreating then hanging. Pretreat needs to soak into the fibres of the garment to create the foundation, that aint gonna happen when hanging vertically directly after spraying.

Old September 12th, 2015 Sep 12, 2015 10:14:07 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Geno
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I print on Gildan Ultra 2000 t's which nobody in here wants to touch and I get amazing results. I just love them.

Since you have a heat press why not do this:

1.) Press 5 seconds
2.) Pre-treat
3.) Hover 45 seconds
4.) Press dry

Ready to print!

Works great for me.

Old September 13th, 2015 Sep 13, 2015 6:03:25 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

I putt my pre treatment press 45 seconds and i never had any matter.

I use 1:3 dilution for my preatreatment and after 35 washing no thing move...

Old September 14th, 2015 Sep 14, 2015 6:30:34 AM -   #12 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,075 Times in 922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronseminoff
Also @equipmentzone do I need to do anything different when pretreating sweatshirts? I really appreciate all of your advice and am planning on ordering my ink & accessories from you now.

Sweatshirts require a heavier lay down of pretreatment then what you normally spray on t-shirts.

_

This is a discussion about A few questions I can't find answers to on the forums that was posted in the Epson SureColor DTG Printers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in