American Apparel Jersey Pretreatment with Firebird FBX-100 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Epson SureColor DTG Printers
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Epson Brand SureColor garment printer owners.

American Apparel Jersey Pretreatment with Firebird FBX-100

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 6th, 2015 Jul 6, 2015 2:17:10 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Natalie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default American Apparel Jersey Pretreatment with Firebird FBX-100

I had some pretreating difficulties in the beginning with my American Apparel Jersey T-Shirts (2001, 2102) even with the Firebird FBX-100, so I wanted to share what I've found.

I hand treat everything which sucks for various reasons, but I'm making due. I first started by rolling the pretreat on per the Epson video, then I was brushing it on with a Purdy paint brush--which surprisingly works fairly well--and now I have moved to spraying with an all-purpose sprayer bottle (think of a household cleaner bottle).

I was getting some serious staining on colors you wouldn't expect and they wouldn't wash out. I've found that my heatpress temp at 330 F was too high without dilution of the Firebird. I lowered the temp to 300 and had very favorable results, but I didn't want to change temps back and forth between pretreating and ink setting (or increasing ink set times) so I set out on some experiments to find the perfect temp and dilution combo--I'm a scientist by day, so it's second nature haha.

I know Firebird FBX-100 doesn't recommend dilution, but after a series of different dilutions that then underwent print and wash tests, I have found a 2:1 pretreat to water ratio to show favorable print and wash results. When diluted 2:1, I can keep my heatpress at 330 F.

The colors I have been able to successfully pretreat this way are:
Ash Grey
Black
Cranberry
Creme
Fuchsia
Grass
Heather Grey
Kelly Green
Navy
Purple
Red
Royal Blue

The ones I have NOT been successful in pretreating:
Teal
Slate -- Firebird says this color can be done, but I haven't succeeded in doing so.

For those who may be worrying about whether you can get an opaque white when diluting the FBX-100, I have been able to get very nice results. I am attaching a photo printed with GC with a level 2 white.

I hope this helps anyone who may be struggling with these shirts in particular!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg constellations.JPG (97.4 KB, 55 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to Grammatical For This Useful Post:
gatorGRAFIX (July 7th, 2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2015 Jul 7, 2015 11:34:49 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Geno
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: American Apparel Jersey Pretreatment with Firebird FBX-100

Your print looks fantastic!

The Following User Says Thank You to gatorGRAFIX For This Useful Post:
Grammatical (July 7th, 2015)
Old July 7th, 2015 Jul 7, 2015 11:47:02 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Natalie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorGRAFIX
Your print looks fantastic!
Thank you!

Old July 7th, 2015 Jul 7, 2015 12:29:53 PM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,075 Times in 922 Posts

I would suggest not using a hand pump sprayer.

Your best pretreating results will be with an automatic pretreater (of course ) but you would get much better pretreating then you are getting now with a hand power sprayer like the Wagner Control Spray Double Duty. More control and probably use less pretreatment also. Can buy it on Amazon.

_
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg shopping.jpeg (19.5 KB, 9 views)

This is a discussion about American Apparel Jersey Pretreatment with Firebird FBX-100 that was posted in the Epson SureColor DTG Printers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in