Off the street test of the new Epson DTG - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Epson SureColor DTG Printers
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Epson Brand SureColor garment printer owners.

Off the street test of the new Epson DTG

Like Tree6Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 4th, 2014 Jan 4, 2014 10:24:03 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Off the street test of the new Epson DTG

Has anyone actually been able to see a print from one of these that is artwork is not engineered to look good? Like the typical "internet art" that most customers really come in with?
We are seroiusly interested in the Epson DTG as our entire facility uses Epson printers and is extatic with them.

Alston's
allamerican likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to alstonink For This Useful Post:
allamerican (January 5th, 2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2014 Jan 5, 2014 2:59:46 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Sponsor
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: NeoFather Peter
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Thanked 1,468 Times in 1,160 Posts

Default Re: Off the street test of the new Epson DTG

Not by the end users yet but all 6 Dealers had.
Best way to find out is go to shows. ISS show Long Beach CA. All resellers will be there. Jan 17-19th.
Make sure bring your own art.
Ask to all dealers print sample for you.
Watch carefully while we print your samples.
1. Check How close to your art work.
2. Final print out quality.
3. Softness.
4. Request Same size(you have to ask dimension exam: 12"x 14")
Check Time after click Que not when Printhead starting to move. You call "GO".
Some dealers Demo printers will wait 20-30seconds before start. Some will start right away. Find out yourself. Fun.
*Check ink consumption. There will be big difference. Especially White ink. $383/liter.* All colors.
Lots of beginners do not understand how critical of ink expenses are on DTG business.
5. Total Printing time After Click Que.
6. Negotiate. which is our favorite part. lol. Right?
All dealers have to follow MSRP. NSRP(?) Period.
Cheers! Beers are on me always.

Last edited by allamerican; January 5th, 2014 at 08:15 AM..

The Following User Says Thank You to allamerican-aeoon For This Useful Post:
ksergentakis (January 17th, 2014)
Old January 5th, 2014 Jan 5, 2014 8:16:31 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Sponsor
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: NeoFather Peter
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Thanked 1,468 Times in 1,160 Posts

Oh, forgot one important thing.

***Not modify art work***
If they do you have to match on their PhotoShop skill. Time waste. You are seeing their PhotoShop skill not what machine can do itself.

The Following User Says Thank You to allamerican-aeoon For This Useful Post:
spiderx1 (January 5th, 2014)

Old January 5th, 2014 Jan 5, 2014 9:15:56 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,029 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Like the typical "internet art" that most customers really come in with?
I don't think fixing low quality internet art should be a function or feature of any printer.

Some jobs were just not meant to be printed. If the customer is taking low resolution art from the internet (I assume that's what you mean by internet art), then it's the business' job to reject the order, educate the customer, or provide art service.
allamerican and Dono like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rodney For This Useful Post:
Smalzstein (January 5th, 2014)
Old January 12th, 2014 Jan 12, 2014 4:21:38 AM -   #5 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,068 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
I don't think fixing low quality internet art should be a function or feature of any printer.

Some jobs were just not meant to be printed. If the customer is taking low resolution art from the internet (I assume that's what you mean by internet art), then it's the business' job to reject the order, educate the customer, or provide art service.

That is a good point about artwork. One of the expressions we used in screen printing was: garbage in - garbage out.
_

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to equipmentzone For This Useful Post:
scuba_steve2699 (January 13th, 2014), Smalzstein (January 12th, 2014)
Old January 17th, 2014 Jan 17, 2014 7:12:11 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Hold on did you say 383 per liter for white ink? Almost twice the present cost. Another Epson flop. Epson will be sitting which a large number of printers in their warehouse.

My Neoflex grows more beautiful every day. The mega corporations are just so out of touch with small business. Didn't they do any market research? I also noticed in the setup videos the waste bottle is huge. You will just keep pouring money down the drain. The ink is incredibly expensive to begin with. Epson is being greedy and foolish.

Last edited by ksergentakis; January 17th, 2014 at 07:19 AM..

Old January 17th, 2014 Jan 17, 2014 8:51:29 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

I would like to point out that, every town and location might have certain business characteristics.
We live in a super cheap town that "refuses" to have to pay for anything, and they will leave you over .02 cents to the next guy regardless of quality or service. No loyalty ever, also everyone here is a graphic designer, "internet copy artists" or "Fine Art" artists.
limey likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to alstonink For This Useful Post:
Old January 17th, 2014 Jan 17, 2014 8:54:13 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Fan

We turn down more jobs than we take in. In my experience you get what you pay for and we tell potential clients that all day long. This is a service business and a company without resources won't be around long.

Old January 17th, 2014 Jan 17, 2014 8:59:33 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Brian
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

If someone wants a better price, I offer them a longer turn-around.

Basically, with DTG, it's important for us to constantly flow ink through the nozzles. Our busy days are insanity, but our slow days can be pretty slow. If someone is willing to wait 3 weeks to save $2 a shirt, I'm happy to take the job and back burner it until we have a slow period.

Old January 17th, 2014 Jan 17, 2014 9:07:58 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Fan

Very good point except I have found most of the time they call back after a day and tell you their schedule has changed and they need it now. I run nozzle checks daily not into giving it away bad for the industry and my company.

There is so little profit to begin with in DTG to begin with these crazy companies doing work at cost.

Even charging 25 dollars for a white shirt considering almost every file has issues is already a bargain. Maybe this year we will raise our minimum on shirts to at least 6 otherwise you hurt your company taking in work.

Old January 17th, 2014 Jan 17, 2014 9:19:58 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Brian
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksergentakis
Very good point except I have found most of the time they call back after a day and tell you their schedule has changed and they need it now. I run nozzle checks daily not into giving it away bad for the industry and my company.
Our quoting software always includes (automatically) the upcharges for rushing a job, as well as the deadline for payment/artwork on it. We do not take phone orders or any verbal changes for discounted jobs (also mentioned on the quote sheet).

Quote:
There is so little profit to begin with in DTG to begin with these crazy companies doing work at cost.
Sounds like you're in a rough market. I have 10 competitors within a 10 minute drive and we all have more than enough work.

Quote:
Even charging 25 dollars for a white shirt considering almost every file has issues is already a bargain. Maybe this year we will raise our minimum on shirts to at least 6 otherwise you hurt your company taking in work.
We don't do artwork for free. I even wrote a simple "file validator" in PHP that customers use to upload artwork to us. When they upload the file, our PHP checks the pixel size and then says "This image can be printed at a maximum of A"xB", is this acceptable?"

If they send complicated artwork (EPS, for example), I almost never have art problems. If there's an art problem, we respond to the email submission with "This file has been rejected due to not meeting our standards. (link to standards). For artwork assistance, please contact sales for a artwork price estimate."

I reject jobs that I don't make money on. I accept discounted jobs when I *can* make money on it, or when it can help me (keep the ink flow, keep the employees working).

In all things, you make 80% of your profits on 20% of your jobs. This is standard for all of human history, too.

The Following User Says Thank You to treefox2118 For This Useful Post:
Old January 18th, 2014 Jan 18, 2014 8:41:39 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Dante

I brought "Off the street" art to the show yesterday. The artwork was nice, so it isn't exactly what you were asking for, but it wasn't "optimized" for DTG.

Happy with the results.
alstonink likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dante2004 For This Useful Post:
alstonink (January 18th, 2014)
Old January 18th, 2014 Jan 18, 2014 8:53:50 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allamerican
Not by the end users yet but all 6 Dealers had.
Best way to find out is go to shows. ISS show Long Beach CA. All resellers will be there. Jan 17-19th.
Make sure bring your own art.
Ask to all dealers print sample for you.
Watch carefully while we print your samples.
1. Check How close to your art work.
2. Final print out quality.
3. Softness.
4. Request Same size(you have to ask dimension exam: 12"x 14")
Check Time after click Que not when Printhead starting to move. You call "GO".
Some dealers Demo printers will wait 20-30seconds before start. Some will start right away. Find out yourself. Fun.
*Check ink consumption. There will be big difference. Especially White ink. $383/liter.* All colors.
Lots of beginners do not understand how critical of ink expenses are on DTG business.
5. Total Printing time After Click Que.
6. Negotiate. which is our favorite part. lol. Right?
All dealers have to follow MSRP. NSRP(?) Period.

Congrats on the rip for the new Epson!! I heard from a lot of people at the show that the shirts coming off AA's Epson rip combo were the best to be seen there! the pics and vid's I seen looked awesome!! nice job guys! don't work to hard they were also saying with the rip there is a 30% savings with ink cost due to how it works, is that true? if so huge sales advantage there!

Old January 18th, 2014 Jan 18, 2014 9:14:09 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Bryan

The printer itself looks great but I'm still wondering why Epson didn't include a better rip with it. AAs rip looks wonderful on Epson just like on Neoflex which seems like a better deal. I went to the show thinking of buying Epson and left with a Neoflex and very happy with my decision.
alstonink likes this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hitthespot For This Useful Post:
alstonink (January 18th, 2014), ksergentakis (January 18th, 2014)
Old January 18th, 2014 Jan 18, 2014 9:43:26 AM -   #15 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Boguslaw
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Well Epson has tendency to do this - look at the wide format printer market you will always have "recommended RIPS" section.

This is a discussion about Off the street test of the new Epson DTG that was posted in the Epson SureColor DTG Printers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in