Epson SureColor Printer Maintenance - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Epson SureColor DTG Printers
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Epson Brand SureColor garment printer owners.

Epson SureColor Printer Maintenance

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 2nd, 2013 Nov 2, 2013 5:02:54 AM -   #1 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jerid
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,122 Times in 788 Posts

Default Epson SureColor Printer Maintenance

Maintenance is minimal on the Epson SureColor F2000 series compared to other printers, but there is still required maintenance. Epson's guidelines are as follows:

General Printer Maintenance Routine
- Print the internal print head Nozzle Check pattern to verify nozzle health - once per day
- If required, perform an automatic Print Head Cleaning cycle - ink is used
- When instructed by the printer, replace the Print Head Capping Station, Print Head Fabric Wiper, and Print Head Flushing Pad - replaced after approximately 1,000 shirts
- As required, clean the Print Head Cleaning Cap - about once per week

White Ink Maintenance Routine
- When instructed, remove the white ink cartridges and Shake them - once per day
- When instructed, perform a White Ink Purge - about once per month - ink is used
- The printer will perform a daily automatic White Ink Circulation - no ink used

Color Ink Maintenance Routine
- When instructed, remove the color ink cartridges and Shake them - about once per month

Currently I don't believe any of us know how much ink is being used in any of these procedures, but as we continue, this information will be more defined.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JeridHill For This Useful Post:
allamerican (November 2nd, 2013), BQChris (November 2nd, 2013), EricDeem (November 3rd, 2013), Rodney (November 4th, 2013), Smalzstein (November 2nd, 2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2013 Nov 2, 2013 3:09:07 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Donovan
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: Epson SureColor Printer Maintenance

So let's pose the inevitable situations...

part-time business owner doesn't print every day
or
shop isn't open on the weekend
or
owner went away for the weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeridHill
General Printer Maintenance Routine
- Print the internal print head Nozzle Check pattern to verify nozzle health - once per day
On a normal Epson printer, this is only done to confirm there is a problem. The question is, would the head clog just due to non-use for two days? Guess we'll find out when someone does this.

Quote:
White Ink Maintenance Routine
- When instructed, remove the white ink cartridges and Shake them - once per day
Unless it is possible for the ink to separate to the point where it can't be remixed, couldn't this just be shaken more thoroughly when you're back in the shop? At least with the white ink circulation system, you shouldn't have to worry about the ink in the lines clogging, although maybe you might have to wait for the re-shaken ink to be circulated through the lines.

...Donovan

Old November 2nd, 2013 Nov 2, 2013 3:16:27 PM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Great Questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dono
So let's pose the inevitable situations...

part-time business owner doesn't print every day
or
shop isn't open on the weekend
or
owner went away for the weekend

On a normal Epson printer, this is only done to confirm there is a problem. The question is, would the head clog just due to non-use for two days? Guess we'll find out when someone does this.
I'm only going by what I was told by the Epson rep. Until I get my hands on our demo models, I can't 100% confirm this. BUT....
The entire time there, the nozzles were quite impressive, the lack of clogging that is. He stated he turned his printer off two weeks ago and he will go back and it will have some head clogs, but a basic clean will bring it back to life. I asked how long it could stand that way and he said if you are going to let it sit for a month or more, flush out the white.

Quote:
Unless it is possible for the ink to separate to the point where it can't be remixed, couldn't this just be shaken more thoroughly when you're back in the shop? At least with the white ink circulation system, you shouldn't have to worry about the ink in the lines clogging, although maybe you might have to wait for the re-shaken ink to be circulated through the lines.

...Donovan
If you leave the printer on, this is true, but again, he mentioned he turns his printer off. It's pretty impressive, and I'll be sure to put it through its paces when I can!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeridHill For This Useful Post:
ASID Clothing (November 2nd, 2013), ETA (November 4th, 2013)

Old November 2nd, 2013 Nov 2, 2013 7:31:43 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Chris
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
On a normal Epson printer, this is only done to confirm there is a problem.
Nozzle checks should also be used as a proactive step in avoiding downtime. Taking one in the morning, midday and end of day and comparing them will help to identify problem channels before they shut down production.

If my cyan is coming out splotchy on all three NC's, I have a problem. Constantly checking the state of the print head can help in fixing issues before they become a show stopper.

As for Epson's ink, it follows the industry standards. Shake the bag or cartridge. Agitate the dampers and lines. Haven't dealt with the machine personally but this is common practice.

The Following User Says Thank You to BQChris For This Useful Post:
allamerican (November 3rd, 2013)
Old November 3rd, 2013 Nov 3, 2013 12:47:36 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Sponsor
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: NeoFather Peter
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Thanked 1,468 Times in 1,160 Posts

I witnessed Epson practiced "how to kill Printer" in Philly. That was interesting. Result? Did not see because it will take some time .
Cheers! To the new kid

Old November 4th, 2013 Nov 4, 2013 11:56:23 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I understand that DTG printers need a maintained environment. Humidity and Temperature. Has epson disclosed what is their minimum for their printer? Just wondering if Epson's printer will need a different humidity and temperature of what we are used to.

And since most DTG printers need you to have the humidity and temperature maintained 24/7, if not you will have problems. I wonder how Epson plans to work this out with its warranty and service.

P.S. I hope I make sense, its been a long day.

The Following User Says Thank You to joe83 For This Useful Post:
NZACO (November 4th, 2013)
Old November 4th, 2013 Nov 4, 2013 12:10:34 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
- When instructed by the printer, replace the Print Head Capping Station, Print Head Fabric Wiper, and Print Head Flushing Pad - replaced after approximately 1,000 shirts
- As required, clean the Print Head Cleaning Cap - about once per week
Wow, this means the capping station is accessible for a manual cleaning?
It would be a first for an Epson printer! (maybe on their solvent wideformat printer?)

Quote:
- When instructed, perform a White Ink Purge - about once per month - ink is used
Does this mean that it will waste all the ink in the lines? Or it will "go back" in a cartridge like in Brother printers?

Old November 4th, 2013 Nov 4, 2013 12:13:30 PM -   #8 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magneticdud
Does this mean that it will waste all the ink in the lines? Or it will "go back" in a cartridge like in Brother printers?
This is one of the questions I was going to ask to determine how much ink was in the lines. I believe you dispose of the ink and cannot use it again.

The Following User Says Thank You to JeridHill For This Useful Post:
Magneticdud (November 4th, 2013)

This is a discussion about Epson SureColor Printer Maintenance that was posted in the Epson SureColor DTG Printers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in