Epson DTG printer hits the market and what does it mean for Epson based printers? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Epson SureColor DTG Printers
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Epson Brand SureColor garment printer owners.

Epson DTG printer hits the market and what does it mean for Epson based printers?

Like Tree37Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 22nd, 2013 Aug 22, 2013 2:03:01 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Mabuzi
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Epson DTG printer hits the market and what does it mean for Epson based printers?

I received a e-mail from Impressions showing Epson hitting the DTG market.
Epson

So what does this mean for Epson based DTG printers? Will Epson do what business normally do is to shut competitors out of the market especially if the machine proves to be popular.

So any one know about the specs yet?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mabuzi For This Useful Post:
Rodney (August 26th, 2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2013 Aug 22, 2013 3:00:25 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: jim
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default Re: Epson DTG printer hits the market and what does it mean for Epson based printers?

IDK but Sawgrass got in with them. their sulimation printer supposed to be out soon. Ouch

jfisk

The Following User Says Thank You to jfisk3475 For This Useful Post:
Mabuzi (August 22nd, 2013)
Old August 22nd, 2013 Aug 22, 2013 3:20:48 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Mabuzi
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: Epson DTG printer hits the market and what does it mean for Epson based printers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisk3475
IDK but Sawgrass got in with them. their sulimation printer supposed to be out soon. Ouch

jfisk
Yeah I have been holding off on buying the sublimation printer for this very reason but I would have waited if I knew they would develop a DTG.

Old August 22nd, 2013 Aug 22, 2013 4:58:01 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Eric Deem
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

This is very interesting...printer manufacturers make their money in ink and other consumables. I wonder if they will be releasing their own ink along with the printer. I'm interested in seeing their solution for white ink too.

The Following User Says Thank You to EricDeem For This Useful Post:
mwilliams0763 (September 13th, 2013)
Old August 23rd, 2013 Aug 23, 2013 5:17:28 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Boguslaw
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Epson Sublimation printer is actualy in the market for some time now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Smalzstein For This Useful Post:
Old August 23rd, 2013 Aug 23, 2013 5:47:30 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Brian
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Epson should give it away for $49 and sell $500 ink carts.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using T-Shirt Forums

Old August 23rd, 2013 Aug 23, 2013 6:38:34 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Boguslaw
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefox2118
Epson should give it away for $49 and sell $500 ink carts.
I doubt it will be like that this time. Sublimation and solvent wide format printers that epson sells cost a bit more that competitors and the inks is similar priced.

On the proffesional printing market Epson Epson have to adapt, because the policy to sell cheap printers and expensive inks will not work here.

The Following User Says Thank You to Smalzstein For This Useful Post:
Old August 24th, 2013 Aug 24, 2013 5:42:31 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Sponsor
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: NeoFather Peter
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Thanked 1,468 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalzstein
I doubt it will be like that this time. Sublimation and solvent wide format printers that epson sells cost a bit more that competitors and the inks is similar priced.

On the proffesional printing market Epson Epson have to adapt, because the policy to sell cheap printers and expensive inks will not work here.
Hello, Boguslaw
It has been a while since we met in London. It was funny you recognized me just look my Name Tag at FESPA show. You are really piece of work.
I slightly have different opinion than you addressed here. Brother is very successful with highest priced ink than others is the major reason.

Quality of print output will be the first key. Useless if not.
2nd Key is Service and warranty.
3rd Key is Ink price. I assume Epson will never Top the Brother's price Tag. I almost can bet on this.
4th key is advertising.
5th key is hardware price.
Epson has more funds available than all DTG people put together in the world. What does it means? A: We will see major shuffles.
Reminds me Samson and Goliath. LOL.
Cheers! Beers are on me always.

Last edited by allamerican; August 24th, 2013 at 07:17 AM..

Old August 24th, 2013 Aug 24, 2013 4:41:54 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Andre
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Hopefully it drives prices down

Last edited by amdivoff; August 24th, 2013 at 06:42 PM..

Old August 24th, 2013 Aug 24, 2013 6:41:11 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: jim
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

It will be the next YuDu. Lol. made for the housewife.

jfisk

Old August 24th, 2013 Aug 24, 2013 6:47:30 PM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Justin

My guess is that Epson will deliver something awesome.... They ARE the premier digital printing experts in the world, after all! It is not an accident that the vast majority of all DTG printers are based directly on their technology - the biggest drawback has been lack of control over the actual firmware that controls the printer.... With Epson as the source, they have more control over their hardware than anyone.

My question is whether or not they will release a white ink that requires pretreatment.... I know it's a fantasy wish at this point, but I feel as though they are quite cautious with how they release products to market and I would assume they see pretreatment as a huge stopping point for many people; they want this thing to work for everyone.

Of course, the 4900 was a huge bomb so it's safe to say that even the biggest companies out there sometimes make critical mis-steps from time to time.
MZDEELO likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Walker For This Useful Post:
Rodney (August 26th, 2013)
Old August 24th, 2013 Aug 24, 2013 7:00:42 PM -   #12 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Since we still have a a couple of weeks before it is released for viewing (no clue when it will be ready for sale) and others are making hypotheticals, I will join in as well. My experience is all properly working dtg printers outperform 90%+ of screen printers when it comes to complicated artwork. Since screen printing is still the primary decorating technique, that is the benchmark for the majority of customers. Although I think we should continue to push the quality factor with better inks and RIP/ICC profiles, I don't think this is the biggest issue that Epson should have been focused on.

If Epson truly spent the last 3 years researching this segment of the industry, then I hope they realized the biggest issues are making the pretreating process much easier (ideally removing it, but not sure if that is possible) and creating a printer that is white ink profitable. There are a ton of posts on the forum where people have removed the white ink from their printers because one or both of these two items don't work with their business model. In my opinion, if they are going to push this segment of the market forward they have to do more on these two items or it will be just be another dtg printer to choose from in what some people are calling a saturated marketplace when you count all the new and used dtg printers out there.

Based on their previous history, Epson has typically not be a low cost leader for the equipment or printers. This could be different for this one though. It will be interesting to see what printer / print head / ink / pretreatment / RIP combination Epson has chosen to go with.

Mark

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAGuide For This Useful Post:
RichardGreaves (August 29th, 2013), Rodney (August 26th, 2013)
Old August 24th, 2013 Aug 24, 2013 7:03:09 PM -   #13 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Walker
My question is whether or not they will release a white ink that requires pretreatment.... I know it's a fantasy wish at this point, but I feel as though they are quite cautious with how they release products to market and I would assume they see pretreatment as a huge stopping point for many people; they want this thing to work for everyone.
Funny that you were typing your post at the same time I was. I agree, the pretreatment process needs to simplified or removed completely.

Mark

The Following User Says Thank You to DAGuide For This Useful Post:
WholesalePrint (September 18th, 2013)
Old August 24th, 2013 Aug 24, 2013 7:09:19 PM -   #14 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGuide
Funny that you were typing your post at the same time I was. I agree, the pretreatment process needs to simplified or removed completely.

Mark
You know we're both on the same page with most issues! I agree with everything you said.

IF they hope to escape the pretreatment completely, they will need to consider a much bigger print head to push an ink with a considerably higher viscosity..... The same 'ol DX5 (although quite suitable to our current setup) isn't gonna cut it in this regard.

Can't wait to find out what they've got up their sleeve! It may end up being yet another DTG printer, OR it could potentially become THE DTG printer, if they took the right steps in research and development....

The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Walker For This Useful Post:
Mabuzi (September 9th, 2013)
Old August 24th, 2013 Aug 24, 2013 7:29:00 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Saturday night at 11:30 what else would we be doing, curious minds never rest do they...

This is a discussion about Epson DTG printer hits the market and what does it mean for Epson based printers? that was posted in the Epson SureColor DTG Printers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in