T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Embroidery

Embroidery Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of embroidery decoration: stitchcount, DST files, digitizing, machinery, garment selection, etc.

Best Embroidery Machine to Start With For Hats? (3D Puff) is?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By djque
  • 1 Post By rpaul
  • 1 Post By binki

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 24th, 2020 Mar 24, 2020 8:29:39 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Charles
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Best Embroidery Machine to Start With For Hats? (3D Puff) is?

I'm looking to get into embroidery. For now my main focus would be embroidering hats with a main focus on 3D Puff. Any recommendations for a good starter machine preferably 1 head 15+ needles. I see Melco's Bravo has some interesting additions like Fast Clamp Pro, the hoop for embroidering the back of hats but Melco doesn't make the list of any Top Commercial Embroidery Machines. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 24th, 2020 Mar 24, 2020 10:26:20 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Que
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: Best Embroidery Machine to Start With For Hats? (3D Puff) is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIPrint
I'm looking to get into embroidery. For now my main focus would be embroidering hats with a main focus on 3D Puff. Any recommendations for a good starter machine preferably 1 head 15+ needles. I see Melco's Bravo has some interesting additions like Fast Clamp Pro, the hoop for embroidering the back of hats but Melco doesn't make the list of any Top Commercial Embroidery Machines. Any help would be appreciated.
Barudan are beast with hats once you get pass the learning curve.
CIPrint likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to djque For This Useful Post:
CIPrint (March 25th, 2020)
Old March 25th, 2020 Mar 25, 2020 3:32:52 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Rick

I am looking to get into brain surgery. Can anyone give me info on what are the best scalpels to buy. Your determination is commendable. The technical ability to produce retail level puf embroidery eludes almost all daily small embroidery shops. I am not sure about Barudan machines. I can say that for puf, Our Tajima that has adjustable off contact is what we use as it can be dialed in for the best results. I understand that the new cap holder design(not on our TMAR-K) is more rigid and the friction of sewing foam does create a lot of vertical movement. I don't know if the holding mechanism has been made any thinner but that would be an improvement for sewing visors. That is still a problem.
CIPrint likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to rpaul For This Useful Post:

Old March 25th, 2020 Mar 25, 2020 9:00:45 AM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Thanked 1,314 Times in 1,080 Posts

I think you are insane. You are picking the hardest thing to do with an embroidery machine.

First off, a single head gets you into the game but the first order for 500 hats with 2 locations and you will hate yourself. You need at least a 4 head to make any money and even then it is not a cake walk.

There are 3 aspects to embroidery.

1) The machine. Pretty simple, it is just a machine and learning how to operate and maintain it is pretty simple.

2) Garments. You need to know what garments can be embroidered, how they turn out, what stabilizer to use, thread tensions, hooping, etc. It isn't as simple as it looks.

3) Digitizing. It is an art form. The software will cost as much, if not more, than your single head machine. Even then, it will take you years to be able to do a good job with it. You will need to find a reliable puncher to do the work for a long while.

There you have it, figure $17K for a top of the line single head, $2000 in consumable supplies, $15K for digitizing software (Wilcom - top of the line) and then a bunch of customers.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
CIPrint likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to binki For This Useful Post:
Old March 25th, 2020 Mar 25, 2020 5:39:08 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thank you for your insight. I was told by area embroiders that puff was the hardest and thats why I chose to start with that since no one around here wants to deal with it. I currently do DTG and i'm pretty connected to the garment guys in the area who all could use the puff service since most of us myself included get them done in California. Appreciate you.

Old March 25th, 2020 Mar 25, 2020 5:56:23 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaul
I am looking to get into brain surgery. Can anyone give me info on what are the best scalpels to buy. Your determination is commendable. The technical ability to produce retail level puf embroidery eludes almost all daily small embroidery shops. I am not sure about Barudan machines. I can say that for puf, Our Tajima that has adjustable off contact is what we use as it can be dialed in for the best results. I understand that the new cap holder design(not on our TMAR-K) is more rigid and the friction of sewing foam does create a lot of vertical movement. I don't know if the holding mechanism has been made any thinner but that would be an improvement for sewing visors. That is still a problem.
Thank you for your advice, No one in my area cares to do it because its so much work for this area I figure its a good start being there is no competition.Most of us myself included just send the job to California. I also have a clothing brand that has hats and I would like to add more hats

Old March 25th, 2020 Mar 25, 2020 5:57:27 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by djque
Barudan are beast with hats once you get pass the learning curve.
Thanks for the advice.

Old March 25th, 2020 Mar 25, 2020 6:36:34 PM -   #8 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Thanked 1,314 Times in 1,080 Posts

Good luck. We started embroidery not knowing anything about it. A couple of broken reciprocators and 3 machines later, here we are!

You are still insane though!

This is a discussion about Best Embroidery Machine to Start With For Hats? (3D Puff) is? that was posted in the Embroidery section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in