T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Embroidery

Embroidery Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of embroidery decoration: stitchcount, DST files, digitizing, machinery, garment selection, etc.

DST file editing

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By splathead

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 2 Weeks Ago Nov 20, 2019 1:51:24 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Rohan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default DST file editing

Hi Guys,

So i have a peculiar (or maybe not so peculiar) problem. I got three .dst files from a customer for company logo's that need to go on all their tees/polos etc. I find that they don't end up looking so great (extra stitches etc). To be more precise, its not consistent. A few pcs look great and then the next few not so great. The customer is very picky about the logo being perfect (naturally, as it's so visible).
The .dst file was originally developed by the customer with one of their suppliers in China who is no longer around so can't go to him with the problem. We have been told we need to edit it and try to fix the issue but nobody i have approached knows how to edit these files.

Can anybody shed some light on how to sort this out?? can the file format be changed to something that a unit using Barudan/Tajima machines will be able to edit?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago Nov 20, 2019 8:54:46 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Robert

Default Re: DST file editing

Why not just convert the DST’s back into artwork and then re-convert into DST files for your particular garment that you’re putting it on it could be seconds to minutes worth of work If you want to get more definitive answer would be best to post some kind of JPEG to show exactly what the problem is

Old 2 Weeks Ago Nov 20, 2019 1:33:42 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Andy

Some digitizing software allows you to import a DST file and edit it. Wilcom is one that even goes so far as to pull it in so it can be edited like a native file. Generations will import but you are left to hand remove each individual stitch (or move it).

Andy

Old 2 Weeks Ago Nov 20, 2019 2:49:48 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Thanked 2,524 Times in 2,242 Posts

Spend a few extra bucks and have them all redone from original artwork. You may get a much more efficient sew. Lot of excellent local digitizers on the forum. We use dixiedesigns.net
tfalk likes this.

Old 2 Weeks Ago Nov 22, 2019 9:05:28 AM -   #5 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,032 Posts

Have them repunched. We use https://wickedstitch.com/

Old 2 Weeks Ago Nov 22, 2019 10:49:44 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Greg

You cant edit a Dst file much. You will need the original files, i would recommend having it re-punch by a professional

Old 1 Week Ago Nov 24, 2019 10:02:45 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Que
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

You need to have it re digitized as you cant edit the stitch count with the dst. It will make it bigger or smaller but the stitch count will stay the same. so if your trying to do a left chest and its 4500 stitches and you enlarge the file to 6.5 the stitch count will still be 4500 but it would need to be something like 18k. and that would make the file look bad. even with wilcom es4.2

Old 1 Week Ago Nov 25, 2019 2:47:51 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: eva

Hi, You can convert Dst into artwork and after that, you can convert it again into Dst file. Also, some software allows you to edit this type of file.

Old 1 Week Ago Nov 29, 2019 1:31:31 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

thank you all for responding. Somebody asked me to share images of the issue. Have attached 3 different embroidery sizes - 2.6cm, 3cm, 3.5cm. if you look closely you will notice some skip stitches within the black stitching where the base fabric shows through and/or the black stitches going beyond the gold outline. This happens on 4 out of 10 pcs and is generally inconsistent (skip stitches and stitches coming outside the border could happen anywhere. Usually noticed at the bottom and at the crown).

unfortunately i don't have the software to convert the dst back to the original artwork and not sure how one would convert the original artwork into a fresh dst for the emb machine. I will try the wicked stitch link shared - maybe they can help. Any other suggestions after seeing these photos would be a big help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2.6cm.jpeg (2.09 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpeg 3cm.jpeg (1.53 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpeg 3.5cm.jpeg (1.90 MB, 13 views)

Old 1 Week Ago Nov 30, 2019 3:49:28 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Cathy

It appears to me the gold stitching is metallic thread where you have the tensions not correctly set.
Metallic thread is a beast especially when it is the detailing. There are all different grades of metallic thread of which they are all very expensive.
First I would sew this design out with regular rayon gold and see what the quality of the sew out is. If it looks good, then you need to use a better quality metallic that simulates the feel of rayon. Your thread manufacturer can be consulted on that.
The question is, will the customer foot the bill for the better thread? If not maybe they can be convinced to switch to a smoother running thread such as rayon in a closely matched shade of gold.

Worth a try. If you feel the need to re-digitize this design, surely they have the original artwork they can supply to you.

Old 6 Days Ago Nov 30, 2019 7:43:41 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Que
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Can you post what the good pieces look like compared to the bad ones. What machine and thread are you using. What material is it going on and what material did they usually have it on. Looking at that design it's not much to it. You can email me the 3 dst files I'll look at them.
[email protected]

Old 5 Days Ago Dec 2, 2019 3:36:16 AM -   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Hi. Attached an image of what a good one should look like. Basically all the stitching needs to be filled in with no base fabric showing through and there shouldn't be any black emb going outside of the gold metallic emb.

Our vendors use Tajima and Barudan machines and we run the machines at 600 TPM with a no. 12 needle for the metallic thread as suggested by the Chinese thread supplier.

This is their main brand logo so goes on 90% of their stuff ranging from 180gsm-300gsm jersey, pique, fleece, loopback, jacquards etc.

emailed you the dst files now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg good emb.jpg (879.1 KB, 6 views)

This is a discussion about DST file editing that was posted in the Embroidery section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in