T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Embroidery

Embroidery Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of embroidery decoration: stitchcount, DST files, digitizing, machinery, garment selection, etc.

Refund Refusal by Customer

Like Tree11Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 10th, 2019 May 10, 2019 10:34:59 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Audrey
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Refund Refusal by Customer

I have searched the internet for hours and everything seems to apply to customer requesting a refund. My situation as a small business owner is the opposite. Customer has been a pain since the services were agreed upon. I unfortunately, never should have accepted this job. I under priced it whereby it should have been almost double the amount that they paid for the service. I am in the hole for close to 12K, yes, for real! Customer is refusing my offer to refund their money! I was paid $12k for a $24k job. The art was approved and they are saying the embroidery is skewed and slanted, the position is not aligned, the font used is blurry etc. etc. etc. I expressed my dismay and apologized. They only want me to redo the jackets as I am sure they can not get them done anywhere else for the price or the hand holding they require.

We embroidered fully customized jackets and it tied up my equipment for 7 weeks as each item took over 6 hours to complete and on a given work day, we were able to do 2 jackets per day with overtime. I have explained to the customer that I am sorry that the outcome did not meet their expectations. Yet, they are still adamant that I redo the job. I have explained that the concerns they have are not only equipment related but also due to embroidery being a manual and hands on labor intensive process. There is no guarantee that the next set up would not give the same results. My embroidery staff has more than 10 years experience.

BTW, I have been doing this for 30 years and I have never had this happen before. I know very well how to handle irate customers, but to satisfy this request could bankrupt my company. Do I risk in this day and age, bad press via the internet and damage to my reputation.

WHAT DO I DO? Sorry for the long post.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2019 May 10, 2019 11:07:28 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Thanked 1,227 Times in 999 Posts

Default Re: Refund Refusal by Customer

Refund the money, just mail a check and have done with it. As long as you supplied the garments and they are not out, you are ok.

Old May 10th, 2019 May 10, 2019 11:18:04 AM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Ed
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Thanked 1,185 Times in 1,105 Posts

A couple of suggestions since it sounds like they will not accept a refund regardless of how you send. First, offer them the completed job at a substantial discount. If accepted, it will lessen your loss. If not, hold your ground. Even a negative review on the internet, if it is factual, would probably not hurt if you have many positive reviews and you could respond to the review with your comments. Good luck....tough customer.

Old May 10th, 2019 May 10, 2019 11:56:36 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thanks. They have the garments and have scheduled a meeting to go over the issues. They want to meet when it is convenient for them after work hours. I would gladly refund the money and that is not the issue. They want to go over every single garment and that would take hours. I plan to hold my ground, having tried so hard to please them every step of the way. Thanks so much for your suggestion.

Old May 10th, 2019 May 10, 2019 11:58:18 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thank you so much. This has been so hard. Never have I encountered a client like this before.

Old May 10th, 2019 May 10, 2019 1:56:22 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Mike

Everybody has a job go sideways from time to time. And everyone has those customers that will never be happy, no matter how perfect the job is. This is life and yeah, if they give you a little bad press....in the long run it's no big deal. I'd be willing to guess you have other customers who know and love your work and aren't going to let one bad apple spoil the pie. AS they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Keep the money they paid you and tell them to take it elsewhere. You delivered a finished product, and I'm sure it passed your quality standards else you wouldn't have shipped, so the worst thing they can do is complain that they got a really good deal on a product they're not happy with.

My two cents

Mike

Old May 11th, 2019 May 11, 2019 4:17:33 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thanks for the advice.

Old May 11th, 2019 May 11, 2019 9:24:43 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 2,219 Posts

Blurry embroidery, that's hilarious. Sounds like their expectations on embroidery were unrealistic.

Can you post a picture?

Unless there were obvious flaws with your work, I wouldn't return a dime. Bad review or not.

Old May 11th, 2019 May 11, 2019 10:07:41 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by splathead
Blurry embroidery, that's hilarious.
i was thinking the same hahaaa

Old May 11th, 2019 May 11, 2019 12:18:44 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Customer still has the garments and we have a meeting planned in two weeks upon their return to the states. I will send pictures at that time. I actually have been on the Internet taking pictures of similar garments to use as documentation in preparation for the meeting.

Old May 12th, 2019 May 12, 2019 4:56:01 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

[QUOTE=Emma2;4429551] I have explained to the customer that I am sorry that the outcome did not meet their expectations.
/QUOTE]

You have hit the nail on the head. Just because the customers expectations are unrealistic doesn't mean that the goods are faulty.

Assuming that you are confident in your work then stand your ground.
Industryps likes this.

Old May 12th, 2019 May 12, 2019 11:41:52 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You've already said you would be prepared to give them a full refund so that's your worst case scenario. If you do give them a full refund then take the clothing back. No way would I let them keep the clothing and the money (unless they provided the clothing in the first place).

Also there is no way would I be doing the work again. Just explain politely that you can't meet their expectations and that they should find someone else who can.

I find some customers are just trying it on for a bigger discount. It's amazing how customers can suddenly live with it if they think they're not going to be able to keep the goods.

Old May 13th, 2019 May 13, 2019 11:50:04 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

More often than not people are trying to get away with things.

I basically go through a plethora of *** covering when it comes to stuff like that on LARGE orders.
And anytime they try to play games we litterally go through a number of proofing and approval processes that require them to be responsible and any rejeced orders are required to be returned to determine where the issue came from, and to determine if anything can be done to rectify. In most cases once they approve anything then they are liable, if there is anything that is your fault then go from there. and if things get changed/people are unwilling to present information properly than I usually refuse to quote, refund, etc.

Old May 13th, 2019 May 13, 2019 1:31:15 PM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thanks. I have been embroidering this type of garment in excess of 10 years and never have I had to even personally THINK of offering a client a refund! I am confident in my work and the fact that we have done thousands of embroidered garments without ever having our work deemed unsatisfactory. None of us are perfect and I have always willingly gone the extra mile to make our customers happy. I am not new at this. Been in business almost 30 years doing what I do best and loving it. Nothing can compare to the nightmare I have experienced with this client, right down to them taking a ruler and measuring each letter in the font THEY finally selected after sitting in my office going over hundreds of fonts on my computer on my time for hours. This was the one time my brain allowed me to do something this crazy. I guess it was my time and I just wasn't thinking, NO, I just stop thinking. I am back on track now. I am done!

Thanks again to all who have chimed in. Responses even PM'd have been overwhelmingly for me to take the garments back and refund their money with a cashiers check and... good bye!

Old May 13th, 2019 May 13, 2019 2:17:11 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Cathy

Stand your ground. Do not refund the money. They will still bad mouth your work even if you give them a refund. You have been embroidering for as long as I have. You know what is possible. Move on. Drop off the bad 10% every year. There is plenty of profitable customers to take their place. If another customer questions you on this order, tell them you did a great job, but the customer was too difficult to please. How can you even consider refunding money you took weeks to earn??? Move on to the next job.

Last edited by cathyr; May 14th, 2019 at 12:55 AM..

This is a discussion about Refund Refusal by Customer that was posted in the Embroidery section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in