T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Embroidery

Embroidery Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of embroidery decoration: stitchcount, DST files, digitizing, machinery, garment selection, etc.

Buying/Bought a Machine now What?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 25th, 2009 Apr 25, 2009 1:16:20 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Buying/Bought a Machine now What?

Hello All, I just purchased used SWF 15needle compact embroidery machine. Haven't received it yet but wanted to gather everything. It only comes with hoops. where do i purchase supplies? and what do i need? threads, needles and such.. and what software do i need to get? how do i just type and start stitching letters on garment?? I don't know where to start....

thanks,
T.K.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2009 Apr 25, 2009 1:38:30 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: sally

Default Re: Buying/Bought a Machine now What?

I would hope you are getting an instruction manual with your machine. It sould have the type of needles etc you need. Have you done any embroidery before? I would go to yahoo groups and type in the name of your machine to see if there are any groups specifically for it to help you get started. I have different brand and there is a big group for it that is a wealth of information.

As far as soft ware sorry but you do not just type in letters and start sewing-don't go buying a lot of different things till you get your machine you need to make sure you get what it needs

Old April 26th, 2009 Apr 26, 2009 3:01:33 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Jim
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

T.K.
I would hope you are getting some instruction with your machine and not just having it dropped at your door. SWF USUALLY has pretty good support (depending on your area) and the swf site has most information you will need to get started. Embroidery isn't something you just "start". There is a lot to learn so support is the key. The yahoo swf group is very active with lots of folks there to help you out. I have a Barudan (support has been horrible to non-existant so I would never recommend them to anyone). Join the yahoo group as techs regularly help people there too. Welcome to the wonderful world of embroidery. It can be a lot of fun.

Old April 26th, 2009 Apr 26, 2009 6:15:21 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Jacquie

Hopefully they are also giving you a start up kit. Had all the things you needed to "get going".

I received one with my Barudan, and some accessory links/catalogs/discounts.

Sorry to hear you didn't get great support with your Barudan Jim. They've gone above and beyond my expectations since I got my Barudan.

Old April 27th, 2009 Apr 27, 2009 5:49:25 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Jim
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Jacque,
Support varies by area and if they really want to help you or not. I have had no support on mine, but after I told them to come get the XXXXX thing, they finally said I could drive 3 hours to take it to them to look at. That, when I am only 20 miles off the beaten path for their major corridor. Mine hasn't worked from day one, but they really haven't cared. I've been sewing for about 4 years now and thought their support was supposed to be good, but I'll never recommend them. In my area (central Texas), Brother has the very best support their is. Guess I should have stuck with them (I have two now). I am glad yours works fine.

Old April 27th, 2009 Apr 27, 2009 7:01:34 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Ted
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

T.K. said the machine was purchased used to I doubt it comes with any training... I suggest should contacting SWF and see about getting training from them. There is also a DVD on ebay for machine training as well as repair....

There are many different embroidery programs on the market ranging from free/low cost (EmBird) up to $10K+ packages. If you don't get any software with the machine, you will need to do some research to see what fits your needs and your budget.

I also recommend you check out the several SWF Yahoo groups, lots of good info...

Old April 27th, 2009 Apr 27, 2009 7:29:10 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Go get training even if you have to pay for it.

Old April 27th, 2009 Apr 27, 2009 8:40:10 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

thanks guys, i just joined yahoo group but haven't had luck with it yet. i will give it couple more days and i will also contact swf for training info and such..

thanks,
T.K

Old May 2nd, 2009 May 2, 2009 6:21:44 PM -   #9 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Thanked 1,037 Times in 869 Posts

I am a SWF alumni you really should have been informed about training its usually 4 days and you are taught everything you need to "get going". I suggest you take very good notes , we took the training and didn't get our machine for at least a month and we forgot everything. As time went on we started remembering things from class. Our start-up kit included everything we needed to get started (needles, starter thread, emergency kit)but we ended up get Fast Frames and the sticky back as well.

Your machine comes with the basic software (Embroidery Office 9).. we upgraded so that we can have the auto digitizer. I would invest in Corel Draw x4 you will be using this alot with the software.

Colman and Company is the embroidery company we use and we are lucky cause they are located at the SWF location we go to.

Invest in some pegboard for your hoops because you will have a lot and its better having them up off the floor plus a sturdy table to hoop if you don't have a hoopmaster.

I hope this helps.. Good Luck

Old May 3rd, 2009 May 3, 2009 5:50:42 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: AutoEmb

Smile Re: Buying/Bought a Machine now What?

Tk, You must learn some embroidery technique, and You need to buying embroidery thread, paper, and embroidery software Etc. If you need as soon as possible to start your embroidery business, I think you can look for supplier, example embroidery supply, Reliable embroidery digitizer.

Good luck!
Nianhui Zeng from Auto Embroidery Digitizing Inc.

This is a discussion about Buying/Bought a Machine now What? that was posted in the Embroidery section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in