The Story of 4 Machines: Barudan, Melco, SWF, Tajima (which one?) - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Embroidery

Embroidery Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of embroidery decoration: stitchcount, DST files, digitizing, machinery, garment selection, etc.

The Story of 4 Machines: Barudan, Melco, SWF, Tajima (which one?)

Like Tree10Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old December 18th, 2014 Dec 18, 2014 1:51:07 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Steve
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default The Story of 4 Machines: Barudan, Melco, SWF, Tajima (which one?)

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, although I have been reading here for a while.

My wife is going to get into embroidery. She is also going to do sublimation, vinyl, etc.

The choices for sublimation equipment, vinyl cutters, heat presses, and the like were fairly straightforward. Reviews and forum posts generally pointed very strongly in one direction. Embroidery machines seem to be an entirely different story. I have read as many good posts as bad posts concerning most machines. What I am looking for now are opinions from experienced embroiderers and preferably ones that have experience with at least 2 of the brands that I am considering.

This will be a long post thread because I also want to explain my interaction with the salesman that I spoke with as well as my gut feelings on each one. That way other readers may be able to benefit.

When I started the search, I only knew that we wanted a multi-needle unit. My wife was set on a Brother 10 needle, but when I saw the price I could only laugh. Not that there is anything wrong with it. I just had no idea how expensive the equipment was. Being an experienced businessman myself, I decided that if my wife was getting anything, it would be the right tool for the job, and possibly even overkill. That way if the business failed, she would at least be able to have really good equipment for her hobby or I would have a shot as recouping some of the initial investment. After much reading and pulling out of my hair, I narrowed the choices down to 4 brands (Barudan, Melco, SWF, and Tajima). I had considered pre-owned, but decided that for the first machine, I wanted brand new with all of the warranty intact, and the latest in technology. (I am a geek. What can I say?)

I am south of Atlanta, GA and I want close technicians and trainers as well as plenty of access to training, live and/or video. My wife can figure out anything watching you-tube. She will probably operate the machine for a few weeks to a month before we schedule the live training so that she really dig in when the trainer is there.
Here are the results of the conversations with each salesman, in the order that I spoke to them. I will not mention any salesman names though.

Melco:
The salesman seemed knowledgeable about his product, friendly, and eager to assist. We discussed the newest Melco, the EMT16. Here is what I learned.

1. The EMT16 can be networked with any Melco Amaya dating back to 2004.

2. The warranty is 5 years.

3. There are 4 certified trainers and 2 certified techs in the metro Atlanta Area. One of the trainers is less than 30 minutes from me.

4. The machine comes with 2 days of live on-site training and a series of webinars.

5. The OS flex plus operating system comes with free software updates the first year and cost between $500 and $1000 after that depending on the update. He did tell me that I did not need to have the updates to operate the machine though.

6. When I asked if the machine was built in the USA or just assembled in the USA from Chinese parts, there seemed to be a slight hesitation. He told me that most of the parts were made in the US. I suppose that could be researched further. By the way, China is not a deal killer or anything. I have products produced in China, but I have to stay on top of them if I want quality.

7. My wife can meet with the trainer and get to see an Amaya XTS in action, but not an EMT16.

8. He stated that many big names use this equipment, including Lands End, and LL Bean. Even the product information seems to insinuate that Lands End and LL Bean prefer Melco. Oddly enough both Barudan and Tajima seem to make the same claim. I found this interesting.

9. He told me to stay away from the Chinese brands. I do understand this if the machines have not been around that long. I am more concerned with how long the machines have been around and their reputation than I am country of manufacture.

10. These do not have screens or tension adjustment on the machine. They are dependent on a separate computer to run them. I can see where that would reduce the cost of the machine a little.

The offer:

For $13,310.00 I get:

1 new Melco EMT16 embroidery machine
(1) OS Flex Plus Operating System software that allows you to add an additional 30 machines to the original machine
(1) Cart with wheels for easy movement of the machine
(1) Power Cord for standard 110V power
(2) Cap Frames for hooping caps and hats for embroidery
(1) Wide Angle Driver to put on the machine when sewing on caps
(1) Wide Angle Gauge assists in the hooping of caps for sewing
(1) DesignShop V9 Digitizing Software for creating and digitizing designs, letters and numbers ($3500 list price)
(1) Vector Digitizing Option that allows you to autodigitize vector designs for fast sew out. ($1500 list price)
(2) 15cm round hoops for left pocket chest designs (2) 18cm round hoops for chest front designs (2) 30cm x 44cm rectangular hoops for large jacket back designs
(1) Micro Pocket Hoop for embroidery on shirt pockets
(1) Amaya Starter Kits consists of 16 spools of thread (Madeira) , needles, bobbins and backing
(1) Crossover Ethernet cables for connecting the Amaya XTS to a computer
(1) Set of 1000 Digitized designs from Action Illustrated, the designs are ready to sew and are various types of clip art
(1) 2 days of training at your location by a certified Melco trainer and 9 webinars that can be taken more than once
(1) Operator Kit Box: Extra trimmer knife, Extra red thread feed ruler, Extra bobbin case, 2 Extra thumb screws for arms, Allen wrench set, 4mm Allen Driver, Bobbin case screwdriver, Metal grease, Plastic grease, Brush for grease, Oiler with spout, Offset screwdriver, plastic cord for threading tubes, .4mm gauge for rotary hook support position bracket, Panel Selection Button Guide
This includes delivery.

SWF:

Next I spoke with the SWF guy, who explained that SWF is in bankruptcy and proceeded to try and sell me an Avance machine. He told me that Tajima and Barudan are great machines, but that I should steer clear of Melco Amaya. He said that they would not hold up to the rigors of a busy embroidery business.
He didn’t have anywhere local that I could look at an Avance, but he had customers that I could call to see how they liked them so far.

After speaking with him for a few minutes, I realized that, for me anyway, there was no need to go further. I just didn’t get a warm fuzzy feeling. He did send me a quote though.

The offer:

For $11844.00 I get:

Avancé 1501C Compact Single Head, 15 Needle
2 Years Parts & Labor,
5 Years on Major Components as attached (Travel Expenses are not Included)
STANDARD MACHINE PACKAGE INCLUDES:
10 total hoops: 2 each per head of 9,12,15,20CM & 12x12 Hoops,
1-15x21 Jacket Back Hoop
1 LCD Color Control Panel with USB Connection Networkable LAN Connection
Tool Kit
Self Lubrication & Heavy Duty Stand,
2 million stitch memory or 200 designs
Easy Change Cap Drive with 2 Wide Cap Frames and a Cap Gauge (270 Degree)
Sierra Stitch Era Liberty Full Digitizing Software
65 Mini Cone (1000m) Polyester Thread Kit
Single Head Embroidery Accessory Kit
PantoStock Library of 4,000 Embroidery Designs Dakota 200 Quick Clicks Complimentary Designs (Your Choice)
1 Day Training at ColDesi Location or Self Paced Training (no onsite training)
Coldesi USB Key.
Contains needed Training & Support Materials
Price includes delivery.

I have ruled this out already just from my gut instinct.

Barudan:

Another friendly, knowledgeable and helpful salesman. We discussed the Elite XLII 15 needle (more on this later). Here is what I learned.

1. There is a certified Barudan tech just north of Atlanta and that he could handle the training.

2. SWF is in bankruptcy.

3. Steer clear of Chinese embroidery machines.

4. Melco is not bad, but it is really a high end home machine, not designed for the rigors of full time commercial embroidery.

5. All parts are metal, not plastic gears or housings.

6. While all other machines have reciprocating needles (i.e. they are pushed down and returned up via a spring), the Barudan pushes the needle down and pulls it up. This makes sense to me because it is like a bicycle. You can just push the pedal down to go, or you can use bike pedals and shoes and push down and pull up for more efficiency and power.

7. They are still 100% Japanese made.

8. He made the point that it is harder to find a used Barudan than the other machines I am considering, and I have found that to be true. Generally speaking, I believe that means people keep them forever instead of selling them.

9. They do not have any online training.

10. He recommended the Elite XL II over the Pro II because we will be doing a lot of bags. The Elite XL II gives more room under the head to work with large objects, but the sewing field is smaller (9-3/4 x 15-1/2). He said this is not an issue though since you don’t usually embroider anything larger than that.

11. The Elite XL II is only advertised as a 9 needle, but they custom built some 15 needles for a customer that ended up not taking them all so he had a few to sell (at the same price as the Pro II).

12. The Elite XL II has newer sewing head than the Pro II.

13. Tajima is their true head-to-head competitor.

14. He had many customers that switched from Tajima to Barudan.

The offer:

For $16,644.00 I get:

Elite XLII 15 Needle Embroidery Machine
Advantage Elite XL "EX" Cap Frame - Set of 2
1 Cap Framing Device
1 XL Adapter Bracket w/hardware
2 12cm Hoops (520)
2 15cm Hoops (520)
2 300x430mm Hoops (520)
1 Cart with Wheels for Elite XLII
5-3-2 Year Warranty on all Barudan Machine Models On-Site Installation/Machine Training (2 Consecutive Days)
Wilcom EmbStudio Editing e3.0
Embroidery Start Up Package consisting of:
Discover Dakota 4000 Design Pack
Pre-wound Bobbins (144)
Medium Weight Cutaway Backing, 14" x 20" (250 pcs.)
Firm Tearaway Backing, 14" x 14" (250 pcs.)
Medium Weight Tearaway Backing 7˝" x 8" (250 pcs.)
Cap Backing, 4 1/8"x 25 yds.
No-Show Perforated Backing, 8" x 8" x 100 yds. Adhesive Backing, 9" x 12 yds.
Water Soluble Topping, 6" x 12", 100 pcs.
3-D Foam Backing, pkg. of 8 assorted colors
75-11 Ball Point Needles (50)
75-11 Normal Point Needles (50)
8" Bent Trimmer Scissors
3˝" Curved Tip Scissors
Trimming Tweezers
Lint Cleaning Brush
Disappearing Ink
Fabric Marker
6" Ruler
Tube Oiler
Canned Air Spray
Adhesive
15-Cone Thread Kit, with Madeira's most popular set of thread colors

The salesman is also willing to come to Atlanta and meet my wife at an existing customer’s location to see a machine in operation.

This deal seems like a no-brainer. It is a top brand piece of equipment with a lot of goodies, and at $3000.00 more than the Melco, seems like a relative bargain. The only downside that I see is the lack of training resources beyond the initial 2 day training.
Maybe you can let me know if it matters what training I watch. There are a lot of youtube videos but they are not Barudan specific.

Tajima:

Another friendly, knowledgeable and helpful salesman. We discussed the Tajima TUMX-C1501/WCT Hybrid. Here is what I learned.

1. It is like the Neo Plus, but it has a lot more room underneath for bags.

2. My salesman is in the same small town that I am in.

3. The closest certified tech is 25 minutes from me.

4. SWF is in bankruptcy.

5. Steer clear of Chinese machines.

6. Melco is a decent mid-grade machine, but not at the level of Tajima or Barudan.

7. They are still 100% Japanese made and assembled here in the US.

8. Software updates for the OS are free for as long as you own the machine.

9. We can see one in operation with 24 hours notice.

The offer:

For $18,340.00 I get:

Tajima TUMX-C1501/WCT (STANDARD SINGLE HEAD aka HYBRID
Tajima DG/ML by Pulse Composer Software (Lettering, Editing and Basic CorelDraw File Digitizing)
complete double sets of six different sizes of standard frames (2 of each size per head = 12 frames total with the machine) for various shirt, jacket and cap applications
a full consumables supply kit to get you started (as seen here: Hirsch - Tajima Embroidery Machines - Start-up Decorators),
standard crated machine delivery including offloading to GA on-site installation and
machine training by one of our LOCAL Certified Technicians (based in the Atlanta area).
Apparently this is only one day of training.
Software training is done via (live) online webinar and is included as well. He said they have a lot of training videos as well.

In summary:
Melco $13310.00
Barudan $16644.00
Tajima $18340.00

The packages seem comparable as far as extras go.

Pros and cons:

Melco:

Pros:
Cheaper
Solid entry-level machine

Cons:
The origin of the parts is unknown
They don’t have the track record of Tajima and Barudan

Barudan:
Pros:
One of the best reputations in the industry (as far as I can tell)
Arguably the best software package offered between the three
What I am getting is clearly spelled out right up front

Cons:
The machine I am looking at was a limited run, although the only difference is the number of needles
No online training available
Smaller field than the other two (9-3/4 x 15-1/2). Maybe someone can tell me if that is sufficient or if I need more

Tajima:
Pros:
One of the best reputations in the industry (as far as I can tell)
The Pulse software seems highly regarded
Warehouse in South Carolina (or North, I can’t remember) so replacement parts are close
Lots of training videos available at no cost

Cons:
Most expensive unit out of the three
The version of Pulse that I get looks to be much less robust than the version of Wilcom that we get with the Barudan

As far as the online training goes. How much needs to be machine specific and how much can be learned just watching videos with people using any machine?

Given the choices above, which direction would you go and why?

I am honestly leaning towards the Barudan because the reputation is there, the savings over the Tajima will allow my wife to get a Hoopmaster setup and some Mightyhoops for bags and start getting some other supplies. The big downside is the lack of online training available.

Thanks for taking the time to read my novel, “The Story of 4 Machines”. I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Last edited by AndrewsSt; December 18th, 2014 at 03:43 PM..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndrewsSt For This Useful Post:
roggie (February 7th, 2017), SewChic (January 31st, 2015), Upcycledcouture (January 30th, 2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2014 Dec 18, 2014 5:10:42 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Salty

Default Re: The Story of 4 Machines: Barudan, Melco, SWF, Tajima (which one?)

I have Tajima and Barudan machines. I have pulse software. I have been at this for a couple of years. I would not go with a machine with a small sewing field. It's not something you can add. In other words you might have to turn down work if your sewing field is too small.
I like my barudan better than my Tajima, My Barudan is a more robust machine built for a lifetime.
There is very little training. The tech can only take you so far. I know him and he has pulled my tail out of the fire more than once, He also works on Tajima. Which ever machine you go with there is a learning curve. There are several groups on Yahoo for Tajima and only one for Barudan. I have tried several times over the past year to join the Barudan group with no response.
Even though I have Pulse software, I wish I had Wilcom for no other reason than I don't know how to digitize and it seems there is more training on Wilcom than Pulse. But the other side is I don't have time to digitize.
I do like my Barudan machine but there is nothing wrong with my Tajimas. I would try to find a shops close to you that have one these machines and have a look at them in action. I'm sure Barudan and Tajima can provide you with names of shops with their machines.
Good Luck
Salty

The Following User Says Thank You to salty dog For This Useful Post:
AndrewsSt (December 18th, 2014)
Old December 18th, 2014 Dec 18, 2014 5:20:25 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Thanks Salty.

Would you consider the sewing field on the XL II too small? The reason that the salesman recommended it was because we will be embroidering women's bags as well as backpacks. The frame on this one gives more room to work than the Neo Plus, but the Neo Plus has a larger sewing field. The Neo Plus and the XL II that I am looking at are the same price.

The Tajima has the larger sewing field and the frame that allows us room to maneuver the bags.

We do have the opportunity to see both in action, and we plan to do so.

Thanks again for your input.

Old December 18th, 2014 Dec 18, 2014 5:29:22 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Just purchased my 4th melco. I have not operated other units. Really like the electronic thread tension. Stitch quality is as good or better than the wholesale shop we are used before with tjaima machines. The 4th unit I bought is a 2011 with 56 mil stitch count. It runs better and quieter than the other three newer ones. It seems like it takes this much to break them in. Average sew is 10,000 stitches so this unit has run 5600 sews in three years. Works great.
ravensway likes this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wilks42 For This Useful Post:
AndrewsSt (December 18th, 2014), willypr (April 20th, 2016)
Old December 18th, 2014 Dec 18, 2014 5:47:58 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

To make any decent money it takes more than one head. I don't know if the other single head units can be linked together. The melco design shop pro + does make vector art digitizing fairly easy.

Old December 18th, 2014 Dec 18, 2014 6:07:32 PM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Thanked 1,222 Times in 994 Posts

A single head gets you into the game but you won't make much money. The tajima full size has an enormous sewing field. Don't get a compact. They are a waste of time.

Old December 19th, 2014 Dec 19, 2014 6:08:04 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Nice research!

I would agree with Binki, if you only have one machine it should be a large field machine. Barudan BEVT or Tajima TFMX.

I've owned Toyotas, Melcos and Tajimas. Worked with Barudan but that was years ago. Started in the embroidery business in the mid 80's. Now have nothing but Tajima and Wilcom software. Just bought another Tajima six head. If the day comes I ever retire, the shop will surely be full of Tajima. So my opinions might be biased. ;-)

By the way, I just sold two Tajima Neo II machines. Both were good, workhorse machines, but they just didn't cut it for sewing the bulky items like bags and jackets.

But the newer Tajima Hybrid would be my only choice were I looking for compact machines since it is basically a compact bridge machine that will not restrict access for bulky items.

If you go with Tajima or Barudan machines you will never be disappointed.
If you go with Wilcom or Pulse software you will never be disappointed.

Don't overstate the service and training. These two brands rarely have issues, when they do support is a phone call away. My local Hirsch rep is phenomenal. I'm sure the same can be said for the local Barudan rep. We bring a tech in once a year for a good service and have never had a single day of downtime on any of the Tajima machines, never! (knock on wood)

As for training, the initial training will get you going but beyond that, you will figure it out if you are patient. You can get some very very good assistance right here in this forum...

And think ahead to the possibility of hiring an employee. If you advertise for an experienced Tajima operator you will have no troubles finding one. (around here anyway)

The same for finding a tech. Once out of warranty you will find lots of experienced independant techs with Tajima or Barudan experience.

So if I were given the four choices you mentioned, the Tajima Hybrid would be the only option given the better access from being a bridge type machine.

And when the time comes that you need more machines, the size of the machine is driven by your average order size. "Networking a bunch of single heads" is sales hype. The big companies that do tons of monograms have warehouses full of single heads. (Like 31 bags, all Tajima by the way) The big shops doing orders of 24+ have rooms full of multi heads. (Typically Tajima or Barudan.) But there is always room for a single head for proofing and monograms.

One other thought, forget the price comparisons. Over the 10 or more years you could own the machine, a difference of even $5000 is only $2 per day. Don't make your decision based on price.

Good luck whatever your decision...

The Following User Says Thank You to Liberty For This Useful Post:
AndrewsSt (December 19th, 2014)
Old December 19th, 2014 Dec 19, 2014 6:47:19 AM -   #8 (permalink)
api
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

This is what we did. (I am also a geek )

We started from scratch, purchased a Tajima Neo, used the Pulse software (as a trade in) to purchase the Wilcom ES. By the way the Wilcom training center is close to you in Atlanta.

Learning to operate the Tajima is not too difficult, but it takes some time and effort. You have to make your own mistakes and learn from them. We didn't need any extra help, the machine went into production on the 3rd day and running since then without any problem.

Binki is right, you cannot make much money with a single head, but you can learn a lot about the embroidery business.

At the beginning I'd definitely outsource the digitalization (the stitch files) because this part of the business has a steep learning curve. In the mean time you can learn the details at the Wilcom training center.

Summary:

Machine - Barudan or Tajima
Software - Wilcom
Hoops - MAGNETIC (mighty hoop) TRY IT!!!
Thread - I don't know, we use Madeira Polyneon and we like it.
Computer - We use a Windows 7 "Manufacturing Computer" in our network to feed the Tajima (and other machines like DTG printer, vinyl cutter, rhinestone placement robot, wide format printer, etc.)
Machine Maintenance and Repair - $49 DVD from Universal Embroidery Machine Repair DVD | Embroidery Products and Supplies

Good luck...

The Following User Says Thank You to api For This Useful Post:
Old December 19th, 2014 Dec 19, 2014 6:52:21 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Thanks for a very well thought out response Liberty.

As I said, the Tajima tech is only 20-25 minutes away. That being said, the Barudan tech is less than an hour.

There do seem to be more Tajima machines around than Barudan.

I had considered a bridge machine like the TFMX-C1501, but there are two issues. The first being that we want to start her business upstairs in her craft room. A 500 lb machine will not be any fun to take upstairs. The only rooms that we could put it in downstairs would be the formal living room (which we don't use, but it would be ugly) and our master bedroom sitting area.

The second issue is that I plan to pay cash for the equipment. I don't really want to finance, especially if she ends up not wanting to continue this as a business. I will say that I think my wife can definitely make a business out of it. Part of the reason that she is doing it is because she sees the embroidery work that people we know are buying and she tells me it is terrible.

She uses a lot of terms that I don't understand, but she is already mentioning stuff about better ways to digitize patterns that she has seen based on the way the stitches are.

On the one hand I know that she is serious. On the other, it is a huge investment and a bridge machine runs it up even more.

What do you think of the TWMX-C1501 (Sumo)? It looks to have more clearance and a larger sewing field, while still in a more compact chassis.

I do see what you are saying with employees. It may be easier to get folks with Tajima experience than with Barudan experience. Is it that difficult to bounce back and forth?

Maybe I should have Tajima quote me the setup with the Wilcom software.

Old December 19th, 2014 Dec 19, 2014 7:28:43 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

OK. So the Sumo is way more than I want to spend, and the TFMX is a stretch.

Here are the sewing fields:
TUMX-C1501 (HYBRID) - 14”D x 19 1/2”W
TFMX-C1501 (STRETCH) - 17 1/2”D X 16 1/2”W

I see that I pick up 3-1/2" in depth, but lose 3" in width. It it closer to square. Is there some advantage to that?

Sorry for all of the questions, but as Liberty said, a $5000.00 difference is not a deal breaker in the long term, even if I have to finance a small portion. It is better to overpay and get the right thing than it is to underpay and get the wrong thing.

Old December 19th, 2014 Dec 19, 2014 7:34:48 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

No experience with the Sumo, but should a be fine choice. We use the large hoops all the time. It looks like a good option. You may go weeks without using the giant hoops but when you need them there is no alternative.

The TFMX is heavy but we put them on the stand with two guys so I'm not sure the head weighs 500. That might be for everything including hoops, cap drivers etc?

Jumping from one machine to another is easy in theory. But anything that makes life easy with employees is a good thing. Realistically though, if you do hire an experienced employee, their experience could be on a different model. And there is a risk that they have bad habits from previous shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsSt
Thanks for a very well thought out response Liberty.

As I said, the Tajima tech is only 20-25 minutes away. That being said, the Barudan tech is less than an hour.

There do seem to be more Tajima machines around than Barudan.

I had considered a bridge machine like the TFMX-C1501, but there are two issues. The first being that we want to start her business upstairs in her craft room. A 500 lb machine will not be any fun to take upstairs. The only rooms that we could put it in downstairs would be the formal living room (which we don't use, but it would be ugly) and our master bedroom sitting area.

The second issue is that I plan to pay cash for the equipment. I don't really want to finance, especially if she ends up not wanting to continue this as a business. I will say that I think my wife can definitely make a business out of it. Part of the reason that she is doing it is because she sees the embroidery work that people we know are buying and she tells me it is terrible.

She uses a lot of terms that I don't understand, but she is already mentioning stuff about better ways to digitize patterns that she has seen based on the way the stitches are.

On the one hand I know that she is serious. On the other, it is a huge investment and a bridge machine runs it up even more.

What do you think of the TWMX-C1501 (Sumo)? It looks to have more clearance and a larger sewing field, while still in a more compact chassis.

I do see what you are saying with employees. It may be easier to get folks with Tajima experience than with Barudan experience. Is it that difficult to bounce back and forth?

Maybe I should have Tajima quote me the setup with the Wilcom software.

The Following User Says Thank You to Liberty For This Useful Post:
Old December 19th, 2014 Dec 19, 2014 7:35:28 PM -   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty
The TFMX is heavy but we put them on the stand with two guys so I'm not sure the head weighs 500. That might be for everything including hoops, cap drivers etc?
Do you think that it would be safe to operate upstairs in a house?

Old December 19th, 2014 Dec 19, 2014 7:52:05 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Jim

I currently have an Amaya XT (single head) that I have had since 2007, and without question I would advise against a single-head machine.

Old December 20th, 2014 Dec 20, 2014 1:48:52 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: rish
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

We have 8 barudan machines & 2 swf.

I will never make a mistake of buying swf again. Its a cheap machine and there's a reason why its cheap.
With barudan you buy a new one and you won't need to worry about it for the next 6-8 years in terms of replacing any major parts.

As for software wilcom and pulse are both good although wilcom is more commonly used. I would suggest outsourcing your digitizing until you get to master the embroidery side of it first and then get to learn the digitizing. When outsourcing your digitizing make sure you request for the native files and NOT dst files.

As others have mentioned a 1 head machine is not going to make you any money. We have the barudan elita and its used only for sampling purposes. Good machine.

Old December 20th, 2014 Dec 20, 2014 2:28:36 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Here is another reply from a Barudan owner with Wilcom software - great combination. Only machine you did not look at - consider was ZSK...

ZSK Industrial Embroidery Machines

any additional embroidery heads will be ZSK.

The Following User Says Thank You to dtogs For This Useful Post:
skits (December 20th, 2014)

This is a discussion about The Story of 4 Machines: Barudan, Melco, SWF, Tajima (which one?) that was posted in the Embroidery section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in