The Story of 4 Machines: Barudan, Melco, SWF, Tajima (which one?) - Page 4 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Embroidery

Embroidery Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of embroidery decoration: stitchcount, DST files, digitizing, machinery, garment selection, etc.

The Story of 4 Machines: Barudan, Melco, SWF, Tajima (which one?)

Like Tree10Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 13th, 2015 Jul 13, 2015 10:59:37 AM -   #46 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Sarah
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Story of 4 Machines: Barudan, Melco, SWF, Tajima (which one?)

Just wanted to thank you, Steve, for posting all the amazing research you did on those 4 machines. This thread has been extremely useful for someone just getting started! Hope your wife is enjoying the Tajima and that business is going well!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2016 Apr 13, 2016 11:08:47 AM -   #47 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

i just found this post and was wondering what machine you ended up with? and why did you say no to the avance just from gut instinct? I am looking into it now and that was a red flag to me! id appreciate your comment..

Old April 14th, 2016 Apr 14, 2016 5:35:14 PM -   #48 (permalink)
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oochallenger
i just found this post and was wondering what machine you ended up with? and why did you say no to the avance just from gut instinct? I am looking into it now and that was a red flag to me! id appreciate your comment..
Sent you a private message

Old February 6th, 2017 Feb 6, 2017 3:53:52 PM -   #49 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Brian

I know this thread is a little old, but I wanted to toss in my two cents. This is a common question and a good review of the aspects. Others may benefit from more information. I had 6 of the Melco Amaya (Big Red / 1st Gen). Never again. I got out of the business in 2011 and was able to sell my machines. We finally learned that the advertised speed was what you should never run them at in production. Flats ran 1,000 spm and hats were down in the 500-600 but it was really dependent on the hat and design. Some have to be slowed down further. We kept them under maintenance contracts and we got our value out of those. I usually had one machine down at any given time and we did not run alot of volume. I ran them a few days a week on 20 to 144 piece orders.

A bit more about Melco. Great support. But the nearest tech that I trusted was in Dallas. There were closer techs to Houston. One's wife had an embroidery shop.... no thank you. Others just didn't know more about the machine than I did.

While they ran well when they ran, I felt we had too many issues. One was down nearly all the time and we would have the tech in a few times a year. Now, I took the position of not wanting to work on my machines. So if we had a scratched/gouged hook from a needle strike we would take the machine offline until it could be checked out. We upgraded the feed wheels twice.

We used DesignShop which is good software.... Embroidery is drawing with thread and it really takes someone who can sketch to be any good at it beyond lettering. Small lettering is a special skill/madness.

I felt like we had top notch embroidery and we did contract and retail work. However, it was something we never quite got the hang of selling. We were an online company.

I was a screenprinter first and my first Melco was an EMC6/4 (6 color 4 head) and I forget the piece of junk software we ran. We bought two of those.... and a 12 head Tajima monster. The Tajima could shake the whole building and was a $1000 game of Simon. One wrong move and it would shear all the plastic needle spacers. haha. But it did beautiful work and kept right on going. We did contract piece work with that machine and it only did 400 spm but it would run and run and run and run and run. We rolled it in on furniture dollies and managed to get it where nobody thought we could. My first EMC was flipped off the back of the truck and cursed from the get go. I should have filed an insurance claim and moved on. Instead I let them fix it. Mistake. I sold the Tajima and bought a second EMC. EMC machines had Tajima heads on them withe Melco frames and firmware. We traded them in and bought 6 heads of Amaya. More than I needed. 3 would have been fine.

I will be getting back to embroidery eventually. When I do I will start with two single heads. That will cover the majority of my in-house needs.

Never forget you can and should contract out big stuff. It doesn't matter if you have one head and have to send out a 288 piece job to make money. The hardwork is design and proofing. Always sew your proofs. It takes time but it works to find issues.

Send out designs that are too hard for you to digitize and then pick apart what they did to see how they did it. No thread breaks should result. If a design breaks threads it's bad.

Last edited by Hotpuppy; February 6th, 2017 at 05:38 PM..

Old February 7th, 2017 Feb 7, 2017 2:25:58 AM -   #50 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Rob

we only by Barudan, they are the best. Tajima is a second. be careful, once you buy Barudan, it's like buying a BMW, you will not want to go back to cheaper ones. Tech in area is probably the biggest issue to look at, especially if you have one machine. you need it fixed quick, and you dont want to pay to have someone to come in from out of state to fix...
we actually have a used one for sale at Home - forsale but you may want a new one if you learning....
we also have Rayon thread for sales, as our shop had to switch to poly threads for industrial laundry use...
Hotpuppy likes this.

Old February 16th, 2017 Feb 16, 2017 5:19:57 PM -   #51 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

You can call me: [email protected]

This was fantastic and aligns to what I'm looking for today. What was your final outcome? Today I'm comparing the Tajima TMBR to the Melco EMT16 Plus.

I would buy the Tajima now even though it is 7k more expensive if I could find training videos at all. You mention a large supply of Tajima training online, is that something that you can share the location of?

Old February 22nd, 2017 Feb 22, 2017 10:32:16 AM -   #52 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Frank

I am interested in these training videos also

Old 5 Days Ago Jun 10, 2019 10:20:12 AM -   #53 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotpuppy
A bit more about Melco. Great support. But the nearest tech that I trusted was in Dallas. There were closer techs to Houston. One's wife had an embroidery shop.... no thank you. ...
If you are speaking of Ed... he's a stand-up dude.

He's my tech and I don't think I'd ever want another tech.

Having his wife own her own embroidery business was really only a good thing to me. He understands digitizing and the problems that arise from that better since he has to deal with it more than just in and out of other businesses when their machines are down or need a tuning.

Again, I recommend him to ANYONE with any machine!

This is a discussion about The Story of 4 Machines: Barudan, Melco, SWF, Tajima (which one?) that was posted in the Embroidery section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in