T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Embroidery

Embroidery Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of embroidery decoration: stitchcount, DST files, digitizing, machinery, garment selection, etc.

What is the average life of an embroidery machine?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 17th, 2010 Apr 17, 2010 7:33:47 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default What is the average life of an embroidery machine?

I bought my first machine a few weeks ago, a Brother PR-650. In researching my purchase I had read where many owners were very happy with the durability of this machine, and it seemed like the best fit for what I wanted.

Now that I am getting started I thought it would be a good idea to set some goals, both short term and long term. This got me curious how many stitches might a person expect out of a machines life?

I know nobody can say for sure, but I really have no clue at all. I know there are many members of this site that have years of experience, and I was hoping for some feedback on average life of a machine assuming it is taken well care of.

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2010 Apr 18, 2010 5:18:01 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jane
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: What is the average life of an embroidery machine?

With proper maintenance it could last just about forever. From what I have read one of the biggest problems with older machines (20+ years) is not being able to replace a part that has worn out because the manufacturer has stopped supporting that model. That is when it is good to know a really great tech who knows where to scavenge for parts.

The Following User Says Thank You to lizziemaxine For This Useful Post:
Louie2010 (April 19th, 2010)
Old April 18th, 2010 Apr 18, 2010 8:02:47 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

A long, long time with proper care. I've seen five year old machines that were junk from being run three shifts, 7 days with poor upkeep and I've sold a few that were ten years old and running like the day they were built.

For a long time, maybe ten years ago, machines were turning over because they were functionally obsolete. Features like trimmers, thread break sensors and such that we take for granted now were not even on the horizon 20 years ago. And 1000 stitches per minute was not even a dream, much less a reality. A lot of those old machines still run great but who would want them?

Best approach is to calculate the machine payback period, maintain it well and if it is still running beyond the payback period then you are in bonus time and that is one profitable tool. If you are running a one shift single head operation, that machine would outlast you and the business in theory.

Now with all of that said, you have to be realistic as well. You bought a machine that is maybe the top of the line in home/hobby machines or lower end in the commercial spectrum, depends on your perspective. If you try to run it hard on heavy garments or for multiple shifts you will be pushing the limits and the maintenance will become even more impportant. The positive in that is that if you are pricing properly and you wear it completely out in two years, who cares, it has made you a bundle of money. Brother is a reputable company for sure. But if you are expecting the machine to perform with the Tajimas and Baraduns, or even the commercial Brothers, you're going to be disappointed.

Take care of it and hope you can wear it out!

The Following User Says Thank You to Liberty For This Useful Post:

Old April 19th, 2010 Apr 19, 2010 2:26:19 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Jim

Your machine will run with the big boys. I have a Barudan and 2 pr600's. All run full time and I've had fewer problems with the brothers frankly. 40 million stitches between maintenance is pretty common. They are a very easy machine to maintain and it will do everything my Barudan will do. My brothers have been running for about 5 years now and I've had one broken automatic threader(a $15 part and it was my fault it broke). That took all of ten minutes to fix. No matter what you get, be prepared to do repairs and maintenance yourself.

The Following User Says Thank You to imeccentric For This Useful Post:
Old April 19th, 2010 Apr 19, 2010 6:21:32 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeccentric
Your machine will run with the big boys. I have a Barudan and 2 pr600's. All run full time and I've had fewer problems with the brothers frankly. 40 million stitches between maintenance is pretty common. They are a very easy machine to maintain and it will do everything my Barudan will do. My brothers have been running for about 5 years now and I've had one broken automatic threader(a $15 part and it was my fault it broke). That took all of ten minutes to fix. No matter what you get, be prepared to do repairs and maintenance yourself.
Thanks so much for the information, it is very good to hear. Do you happen to know if there is a maintenance or service book you can buy from Brother? It would be great to be able to buy one that covers the machines parts and maintenance.

Old April 19th, 2010 Apr 19, 2010 7:12:49 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Ted
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

You can occasionally find the PR600 parts and maintenance guides on CD on Ebay. Not sure if the ones for the 650's are around yet since the machines are still very recent.

I have 2 PR600's, one has over 60 million stitches, the other has around 40 million. Complete work horses...

The Following User Says Thank You to tfalk For This Useful Post:
Old April 19th, 2010 Apr 19, 2010 7:18:14 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfalk
You can occasionally find the PR600 parts and maintenance guides on CD on Ebay. Not sure if the ones for the 650's are around yet since the machines are still very recent.

I have 2 PR600's, one has over 60 million stitches, the other has around 40 million. Complete work horses...
Thanks, do you know if Brother sells the parts and maintenance guides? If older ones are being resold on E-bay they must have bought them as new from somewhere.

Old April 20th, 2010 Apr 20, 2010 5:07:50 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Master

Just emailed you with where to get free parts and maintenance guides.

Old April 20th, 2010 Apr 20, 2010 5:08:04 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Master

Louie2010 (April 20th, 2010)
Old April 20th, 2010 Apr 20, 2010 5:56:17 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeccentric
Jim, I would like to know where to get the free parts and maintenance guides as well. I have a PR620.

Belinda
www.embroideryislanddesigns.com

Old April 20th, 2010 Apr 20, 2010 6:50:58 PM -   #11 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Master

Belinda,
Join the yahoo group: PR600-EmbPro_Machines : PR600 & Embroidery Professional Machine Lovers
They are in the file section. There are really only cosmetic differences between all of the pr600 models.
Rick the moderator used to sell maintenance dvd's and materials, but he has since contracted that out to this site: anembroideredaffair Home Page On the first repair you would more than save the cost of them. Any problem you might have, someone in that group has already had.

byoungda (April 21st, 2010)
Old April 21st, 2010 Apr 21, 2010 3:18:25 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: sally

You need to join the yahoo pr 600 group . It is a wealth of information.There is a free repair manual you can down load and Rick one of the monitors is a awesome at repairs.

The Following User Says Thank You to dan-ann For This Useful Post:
byoungda (April 21st, 2010)
Old April 21st, 2010 Apr 21, 2010 5:38:15 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie2010
I bought my first machine a few weeks ago, a Brother PR-650. In researching my purchase I had read where many owners were very happy with the durability of this machine, and it seemed like the best fit for what I wanted.

Now that I am getting started I thought it would be a good idea to set some goals, both short term and long term. This got me curious how many stitches might a person expect out of a machines life?

I know nobody can say for sure, but I really have no clue at all. I know there are many members of this site that have years of experience, and I was hoping for some feedback on average life of a machine assuming it is taken well care of.

Thanks for your time.

As a technician my advice is the machine's life can last very long the longest machine life here in malaysia is 30 years after that it will be resale or trade in for a newer model, to maintain the machine that way will require a constant maintenance like proper oiling, and checkup for possible faults.

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonyckm For This Useful Post:
Louie2010 (April 23rd, 2010)

This is a discussion about What is the average life of an embroidery machine? that was posted in the Embroidery section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in