T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Embroidery

Embroidery Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of embroidery decoration: stitchcount, DST files, digitizing, machinery, garment selection, etc.

Digitizer Challenge Results

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 3:11:23 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Andrew J.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Digitizer Challenge Results

The original post can be located here:
https://www.t-shirtforums.com/referra...s/t113184.html

Hello embroiderers and digitizers.... I posted a thread a few weeks ago asking digitizers to take a TEST, just using the same design for everyone so embroiderers who contract the work out can compare the same design. Well this TEST isn't so much a Pass or Fail, but really the point behind this was to show how the same design gets interpreted so many different ways.

This is the email that was sent out to anyone who applied:
Hey Name-

Sweet.... *You may digitize however you want, all I ask is the "S" be a satin stitch (I know satin stitches aren't usually this long, but I have my reasons LOL). *File will open to size. *I look forward to sewing your work. *Need a .dst file. *No rush.

Attached you will find the original artwork I sent to the digitizers (.pdf file) which when opened opens up at 4" wide. The first pic is the 4 original designs I had done about 4-5 years ago (I since added the red dots in the T). I currently use the digitizer in the upper left of the first page. You can see how the same design was digitized so differently.

I kicked the idea around for awhile about "grading" the designs, however I don't think it's fair I'm the one who says Pass or Fail. It comes down to the embroiderer and how they feel about the file that was returned. I could of spelled it out exactly how I wanted the design to be programmed but then that's missing the point. However I will say this is what I looked for:
1. Size come back the way I sent it out?
2. First T: Do the Red circles look circular or more egg shaped?
3. E: How is the Blend? (Brown to a White)
4. E: Does the E have rounded corners?
5. E: Is the circle circular or egged shaped? I preferred satin stitches for this part.
6. S: All I asked was to make it a satin stitch, some people did some didn't. See how well the digitizer listens to want the embroiderer (customer) wants.
7. T: Was the outline similar to the original artwork?
8. Lines: Do the lines have round ends?

Now everyone can judge for themselves. I used a controlled environment for the testing. I used the same machine for all designs, I did not edit the designs in anyway, just opened them up to get color sequences. I ran the machine at 700 spm for all the designs. I had people take the test who just started digitizing and some who have been doing this for years. Both US and international digitizers are represented. Some digitizers charged as little as $1 a 1000 and some up to $16 a 1000.

So in conclusion, this isn't a contest on "who's the best" its a reality check to show how a design is perceived by different people and how different the results will turn out. Hope this helped other embroiderers in my situation. The last pic will show the design page with layout with the digitizers first name. Any digitizer who submitted a design can let the forum know who you are by first name and correlated design. Thanks to everyone who participated.

I'll try to post some better pics in a day or so, just been busy with orders and trying to sewout all entries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test1.jpg (129.3 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg test2.jpg (132.0 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg test3.jpg (129.0 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg test4.jpg (101.3 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg test5.jpg (133.2 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg test6.jpg (124.4 KB, 129 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TEST.pdf (154.0 KB, 145 views)
File Type: pdf Test Layouts.pdf (206.0 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by oneill; April 7th, 2010 at 04:37 PM..

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to oneill For This Useful Post:
AndTees (April 8th, 2010), Boomerbabe (April 7th, 2010), Reppin (April 9th, 2010), ruaokie2 (April 8th, 2010), skits (April 8th, 2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 3:17:59 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Default Re: Digitizer Challenge Results

I am Kim mine is 4th page middle design forgot the outline on the E

Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 4:07:02 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: herby

Hi, I'm Herby, and mine is third page top left. Wish I had paid attention to the entry and exit points on the graduated fill on the E which has resulted in the double line of stitches in the middle. Apart from that, what is your opinion, which is why I did the challenge. You said you would end up with a winner, and I quote "I will only give my personal opinion for the sewouts and post all pics and let every embroiderer judge for themselves. So if you are good let the digitizing do the talking..... Cause it's not about price it's about quality.
" HOWEVER I dont see any opinion.
The link to the pdf files doesn't work for me, however the alternative link you sent me does, so I was able to see the pdf files. One of my main intersests was how other digitizers tackled the S in satin, however because it is a jpeg in black it isn't possible to make out any detail. Perhaps you could send the participants all the dst files so we could compare for ourselves. feel free to send mine to whoever you please, either with a credit or anonamously.
Regards, Herby.

Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 4:16:02 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: PJ

Very interesting results.

Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 4:26:21 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Andrew J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astitchinthyme
Hi, I'm Herby, and mine is third page top left. Wish I had paid attention to the entry and exit points on the graduated fill on the E which has resulted in the double line of stitches in the middle. Apart from that, what is your opinion, which is why I did the challenge. You said you would end up with a winner, and I quote "I will only give my personal opinion for the sewouts and post all pics and let every embroiderer judge for themselves. So if you are good let the digitizing do the talking..... Cause it's not about price it's about quality.
" HOWEVER I dont see any opinion.
The link to the pdf files doesn't work for me, however the alternative link you sent me does, so I was able to see the pdf files. One of my main intersests was how other digitizers tackled the S in satin, however because it is a jpeg in black it isn't possible to make out any detail. Perhaps you could send the participants all the dst files so we could compare for ourselves. feel free to send mine to whoever you please, either with a credit or anonamously.
Regards, Herby.
Hey Herby-
I think you had a good TEST. In my opinion: The E should have been Brown to White but the way it was digitized I had to make it red. Outline seemed a tad thick around the Ts and on the lines the right sides were a little pointed, could of been rounded off a little.

I liked how you used a satin on the little circle for the E, alot of people used a fill, cleaner with a satin. The S had really tight satin stitches I liked that even though I wouldn't have a satin stitch normally jump that long.

PS, the majority of people did do a satin stitch for the "S". Some used a satin variation which was acceptable but a few decided to just make it a fill.

Thank you for participating.

Last edited by oneill; April 7th, 2010 at 04:33 PM..

Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 4:30:48 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: herby

thanks for the feedback

Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 5:25:00 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Hi
I have submitted the digitized logo, My name is in 4th page.Sorry but how I can check my ranking.
Thanks
Rana
[email protected]

Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 5:40:17 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Ian,
4th page on right. Thanks for the opportunity and the feeback. interesting how It diddn't occur to me to put the fills in the "T"'s..... Normally questions like this (background color) and fabric type would be my first clarifications with a client. I'm fairly happy with the results... though picking the mid color on a 3 color blend is something that that would make a big difference in my oppinion. I left in some "flaws" in the underlay on the left T, that could have worked of failed depending on the target fabric. Also, depending on the substrate, I could have saved stitches and an extra color change(and trim time) or 2. Andrew, any feedback is great. Very interesting.

Ian

Last edited by zoom_monster; April 7th, 2010 at 08:09 PM..

Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 11:27:08 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: rish

Am I right you received 19 designs back?

Please can you post 19 different posts starting with the winner with points on what they did and didn't do and contact details of the digitiser and a good scan of the sample because the S is not clear.

Maybe the participants can also email you their rates and turnaround times etc etc which you can add to their individual posts along with the digitisers contact so that any reader can open up the image and choose which digitser would work for them.

This is just my suggestion but its up to you how you wish to list the results.

Great samples though...... it would be interesting to know where the digitisers who did not follow the instructions come from....maybe overseas because of poor understanding of english.

Look forward to the results....

Rish

Old April 8th, 2010 Apr 8, 2010 12:27:48 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Rene

Thanks for the results!
I don't understand the testlayouts pdf though.
Can you explain it to us?
I would think that is the pdf with results all I see are white boxes with names in it?

Old April 8th, 2010 Apr 8, 2010 12:43:11 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Rene

sorry my bad
Talked to soon the results are there all 23 of them.
Thanks again
the colors on the gradient/fountainfill on the E are they chosen by you or by the digitizers?
Some of them are in green or is it just my screen?

Old April 8th, 2010 Apr 8, 2010 2:23:56 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: rish

Default Test Design by Powerstitch

Attached is the design from powerstitch.

Page 3 (bottom left)

Contact
Wilcom Digitizing- Wilcom Digitizing, UK Digitising Embroidery Digitising Design Services

Flat rate $20.00 (L/B & cap designs)
Turnaround time: 24 hours
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test powerstitch.jpg (11.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg test swatch.jpg (30.1 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by skits; April 8th, 2010 at 04:14 AM..

Old April 8th, 2010 Apr 8, 2010 3:07:15 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: ellie

Hey ! I am Elle from Momo Lifestyle Co.,Ltd. in China

First ... thanks to Andrew ( oneill ) for offering us such a good chance ...

Well,the 2nd one ( in 2nd row ) at the lower right hand corner in the 2nd page was done by us !

--- I checked all the sew out samples and found that our size is the smallest one !

And we did not do the " gradient " effect on the letter " E " because our digitizing supervisor says that " the colors are very important for gradient effect "
--- if the colors you choose for gradient part are not match to each other or the whole design then the sew out will not look beautiful.

( but personally,I like the gradient effect on the ' E ' in the one did by Wicked < right one in the 1st page > about 4~5 years ago )

Ah I noticed that the small red dot in the " T " is not that round ...

Last edited by qing; April 8th, 2010 at 03:17 AM..

Old April 8th, 2010 Apr 8, 2010 4:25:58 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Frank

This is a very useful post, and interesting. Thanks for the effort!

Old April 8th, 2010 Apr 8, 2010 6:38:26 AM -   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Willie

Hi I'm Willie (Sew Sharp). Mine is top of page 5. Thanks for the opportunity. I agree with skits (Dee) about posting results with pointers etc. I'm kind of new at this. I've done digitizing for myself but thought I'd take a chance at this just to see how I'm doing and to see if I might be able to do this for others. I think I got a little thick on the right side of the second T. I thought about doing satin on the E circle but forgot about it as I was paying more attention to the blend since I had never done that before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Scan 1.jpeg (291.9 KB, 29 views)

This is a discussion about Digitizer Challenge Results that was posted in the Embroidery section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in