T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Dye Sublimation

Dye Sublimation Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of dye sublimation printing: printer selection, press time, durability, new technologies, etc.

pressing issue or ink/paper issue

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 23rd, 2009 Aug 23, 2009 6:44:53 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default pressing issue or ink/paper issue

Hello
Started printing my shirts. Some have turned out great. Others tho have turned out were it looks like the ink did not fully transfer. a faded look. Which is NOT wanted this time.

I am pressing at 400/35sec with a teflon sheet on top. This is according to the shirt manuf. The printer of the dye sub transfers said that should be fine.
I have priessed at 400/25secs w/o the telfon sheet cover. (also said to be okay by the shirt manuf) Still happens on both settings.

I got a dk temp device. Temp seems to be pretty much on in the center were these would be on the platen. Outer edges are about on too.
Not all shirts are doing it.
When I look at the paper (and told printed on a 42" epson printer) it appears to be spotty. The 3rd pic. Not sure if thats normal way it looks when printed on the paper tho.

Thanks
Mark

Last edited by freebird1963; April 18th, 2010 at 09:42 AM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2009 Aug 23, 2009 7:40:39 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Tania
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: pressing issue or ink/paper issue

Mark,

What shirts you are printing on? What pressure you are using?

From experience, 35 sec may not be long enough for an image to transfer - especially for black colour. With most fabrics I'm pressing, 50-60 sec works well - at 400F light to medium pressure.

Old August 23rd, 2009 Aug 23, 2009 7:47:50 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark

Currently using Denali Wikz shirts.

I am using probably a medium type pressure. I have a HIX 15x15 swingman so no pressure gauge of any sort.

I was thinking of going to light pressure (for the lines) and 45-55 seconds.

The one time I tried that long if the image came out good or not but I recall the paper turned color and kinda scared me so went back to the 35secs.

Thanks
Mark

Old August 24th, 2009 Aug 24, 2009 10:26:35 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

It could also be a printing issue. Your end product can't look good if the print isn't good.

Old August 24th, 2009 Aug 24, 2009 4:48:31 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Former Member
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

There are so many factors and you just have to go through a lot of ink, paper and material to get it right. I would suggest starting with Vapor white test squares. It is the easiest and gives great colors and the mistakes are inexpensive compared to shirts. Once you have that you can start experimenting. We tyypically do not do premade shirts but as a favor we agreed to do some for a friend for a softball team. Forgot the brand of the shirts but we did one and called it quits. The colors were horrible. All shirts are not created equal. You have to find the right combination of fabric, paper, and ink and stick with it. Changing any one of those risk changing the results.

Old August 25th, 2009 Aug 25, 2009 4:44:00 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Kristine

Usually light spots like that are caused by the press. It seems that the temperature has been eliminated as the cause however, so some other causes are - if the upper platen isn't completely smooth - is uneven - that can cause light spots. Also, and more likely if the press has been used a lot, the silicone pad on the bottom is worn and has low, worn, or compressed areas that create areas of reduced contact. It can also be caused by defective paper. Beyond those things, pressure could be a culprit, but that usually ties in with a worn out silicone pad.

This is a discussion about pressing issue or ink/paper issue that was posted in the Dye Sublimation section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in