T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Dye Sublimation

Dye Sublimation Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of dye sublimation printing: printer selection, press time, durability, new technologies, etc.

Want to start dye sub but...

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 19th, 2009 Aug 19, 2009 10:44:28 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jason
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Want to start dye sub but...

I have to ask some questions and would appreicate any feedback you could offer.

1. Do any of you run your dye sub business at home without on-line sales? If so, how's business?

2. Do you have a lot of orders, inquiries from businesses that want the dry-fit type shirts?

3. How much of an issue are the papermarks/heat press marks on the finished garments?

4. How would you (personally) rate the profit margin on dye-sub orders?

5. I saw the Ricoh GX7000 at the Schaumburg, IL show last weekend and was quite impressed by the machine...not the rep assisting me though. It uses cartridges instead of bulk ink so how do you go about pricing out a design when there isn't a concrete way of knowing how much your ink is costing you per shirt? Do you go by size of the design and ballpark it??

To those of you who submit a response I say a big THANK YOU!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2009 Aug 19, 2009 1:12:54 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Charles
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,353 Posts

Default Re: Want to start dye sub but...

Here are my responses to your questions

1. Do any of you run your dye sub business at home without on-line sales? If so, how's business?
I do not run business from home, but have a production site...not a retail store. I do not rely on internet for sublimation...started this 8 years ago...so business must be okay...I am not broke yet

2. Do you have a lot of orders, inquiries from businesses that want the dry-fit type shirts?
NO
3. How much of an issue are the papermarks/heat press marks on the finished garments?
Not an issue is press correctly using pads
4. How would you (personally) rate the profit margin on dye-sub orders? Same as any product..if I can't double my cost I don't do it

5. I saw the Ricoh GX7000 at the Schaumburg, IL show last weekend and was quite impressed by the machine...not the rep assisting me though. It uses cartridges instead of bulk ink so how do you go about pricing out a design when there isn't a concrete way of knowing how much your ink is costing you per shirt? Do you go by size of the design and ballpark it??
I use the GX7000 and like it much better than the Epsons. Like with the Epsons there is no way to see how much ink you are using...so 'guesstimate'

The Following User Says Thank You to charles95405 For This Useful Post:
MVP J (August 19th, 2009)
Old August 19th, 2009 Aug 19, 2009 7:15:43 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Former Member
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

I would suggest having a solid niche already carved out and ready to market to before ever stepping into this market. Due to the very low capital required to start dye sub the market is flooded with people who have heard the pitch about making a killing selling to churches, schools, etc. It is just not realistic.

If you have an expertise in a given hobby, association, business, etc. that you can draw upon then you have a chance. We sell our expertise in the markets we serve and we sell design work. The fact that it happens to be on fabric is secondary.

Personally I think someone who does not have a defined market and little or no design skills has little chance surviving this market.

Old August 20th, 2009 Aug 20, 2009 6:21:12 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jason
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by On-line Jerseys
I would suggest having a solid niche already carved out and ready to market to before ever stepping into this market. Due to the very low capital required to start dye sub the market is flooded with people who have heard the pitch about making a killing selling to churches, schools, etc. It is just not realistic.

If you have an expertise in a given hobby, association, business, etc. that you can draw upon then you have a chance. We sell our expertise in the markets we serve and we sell design work. The fact that it happens to be on fabric is secondary.

Personally I think someone who does not have a defined market and little or no design skills has little chance surviving this market.
Thank you for the response. I do own a screen printing shop and was looking to add dye-sub to my business. Where I am from, my competition either does not have/do dye-sub or does not market it. I figured this to be a nice add on to my business especially with the low investment to start. I have just below average art skills but I have seen some incredible software at a recent show that is pretty much graphics for dummies. I might be on the border of this classification

Old August 31st, 2009 Aug 31, 2009 3:07:56 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Jim
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Jason,
You can run a shop out of your home if necessary. I've run a full time embroidery, printing shop for years and seldom have down time. The biggest thing is to have a niche or outlet. I'd say online sales are not going to make the house payment for you Since you already do screen printing, it shouldn't be a problem. I work with screen printers in my area to supply single or small orders for them. Profit, like anything else, is how good you are at marketing. $35 bucks for a t, 15 for a cup or mousepad is a good profit for me. I do a lot of tile murals for weddings and baby pictures. I run a 4800 hybrid system and really can't kick on that at all. I've heard the new richoh's are better if you don't print often though. Some hate chromoblast, but I like it, as do my customers. I also use dye sub for mousepads , and although I've read that some think it is a waste, my customers prefer it. You can add a lot(clothing, cups, jewelry, metal for custom cars, tiles, etc) by having a dye sub setup. All in all, it added a lot to my bottom line and I've never regretted it. As mentioned above, there are no paper marks to worry about either.

The Following User Says Thank You to imeccentric For This Useful Post:
MVP J (August 31st, 2009)

This is a discussion about Want to start dye sub but... that was posted in the Dye Sublimation section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in