T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Dye Sublimation

Dye Sublimation Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of dye sublimation printing: printer selection, press time, durability, new technologies, etc.

Help with not your average project...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TABOB
  • 1 Post By cprvh

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 1 Week Ago May 22, 2020 5:34:19 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Help with not your average project...

Hello,

My wife use to make shirts with vinyl, screen printing and every sublimation. She no longer does it and we have the equipment. I currently make holsters for handguns out of kydex which is a acrylic type of plastic. People sell infused kydex and since I have the printer and heat press already I want to do my own. Ive played around with it and I can't seem to get it right....Ive tried high heat-low time, Low heat-high time and all in-between and I cannot seem to get it right. I have new ink, and the only other possibility is the paper is around 2yrs old. I have ordered more paper just to be able to rule it out. Any ideas?

Thanks
Bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago May 22, 2020 11:56:01 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default Re: Help with not your average project...

It's not the paper.

You bought sublimation inks, or regular inkjet inks?
What color is the kydex you are using?

Old 1 Week Ago May 25, 2020 1:05:47 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

yes, its sublimation ink from an SG400(never had anything but sub ink in it). Ive tried on several different colors(Black on White, Gray and zombie green). I did receive the new paper and its no longer sticking but its not full transferring to the kydex. Ive tried hotter for longer, and hotter for shorter, lower temp for longer/shorter and not a whole big different between the results. some of the ink is transferring, a few times the sheet is no longer black but its white and the white kydex should be black but its more of a gray. I don't know what to do next. Again any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Old 1 Week Ago May 25, 2020 3:58:40 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wscheib
yes, its sublimation ink from an SG400(never had anything but sub ink in it). Ive tried on several different colors(Black on White, Gray and zombie green). I did receive the new paper and its no longer sticking but its not full transferring to the kydex. Ive tried hotter for longer, and hotter for shorter, lower temp for longer/shorter and not a whole big different between the results. some of the ink is transferring, a few times the sheet is no longer black but its white and the white kydex should be black but its more of a gray. I don't know what to do next. Again any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Right... Looks like kydex cannot be sublimated. The ones you see printed are probably UV printed, or if they are sublimated they have been coated first.
A few alternatives you may want to try:
1. hydro-dipping (a bit messy).
2. Forever Multi-Trans

Old 1 Week Ago May 25, 2020 4:07:43 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Ron

I do not have access to my notes today, but it seems like we have used approx. 350°F for maybe two minutes.

Are your transfers working properly on other substrates that you are familiar with? If results are not correct on standard substrates, then it will not be correct on the Kydex.
into the T likes this.

Old 1 Week Ago May 25, 2020 11:33:08 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Kydex contains PVC. PVC fumes are seriously toxic. Are you wearing suitable protective equipment when pressing this stuff?

Also, I think you'd be better off with a UV printer than trying to sublimate these.

This is a discussion about Help with not your average project... that was posted in the Dye Sublimation section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in