T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Dye Sublimation

Dye Sublimation Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of dye sublimation printing: printer selection, press time, durability, new technologies, etc.

starting sublimation as a hobby

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PatWibble

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 2nd, 2020 Feb 2, 2020 4:46:10 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default starting sublimation as a hobby

Hi,
last year i bought a hobby craft plotter and a heat press and now i am curious about sublimation. The last weeks i watched thousands of videos about it and i decided to buy an Epson Ecotank 2710 for sublimation. I am a big friend of plug and play stuff so i like the sawgrass SG-400 but to be honest, its just to much for "just for fun", the subli jet ink is really expensive and the shelf life is only 18 months.

Now the question is which ink i should buy, i am aware of the fact that i should print nearly everyday with that thing to prevent clogging issues and with the eco tank you actually can print a page everyday because you have that tank.

I am aware of the fact that the Epson solution has some work behind it, there is no powerdriver that is tuned to sublimation at all which is a pitty.

Now here in germany you dont have a great amount of inks to choose, there is the company sublisplash and some super cheap inks at amazon and a lets say medium priced ink with 100 Euro for 4x95ml and there is Epson Chroma HD ink. Sublisplash is more like 180 Euro for the same amount. For both i can get ICC profiles which are written for the ET-2700, i hope that dosnt matter because i can get the ET-2710 very cheap.

I heard in america you have the Cosmos ink and cobra ink and alot more to choose. I even read about inks that doesnt need an ICC profile at all?

The good thing about sublisplash is that they also offer a driver made for the Epson ET-2700, which is like a Rip driver for the sublisplash ink. I would love to buy that in combination with the sublisplash ink but im not sure if that is really neccessary because it sounds like to much for my needs. Can you achieve good results with a bit cheaper inks as well or do you really need those super high priced inks?

Which paper is recommended, i think sublisplash works best with Texprint paper. On Amazon you can get S-Race paper, not sure whats better. I dont want to buy the super cheap stuff. I want to do some mugs, shirts and subli flex, flock.

I dont have Photoshop or any programm that can work with ICC profiles, so i plan to buy affinity designer for that. A rip driver for printing directly from my plotter software would be great, i guess thats the beauty of the sawgrass system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2020 Feb 3, 2020 3:31:47 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default Re: starting sublimation as a hobby

If you are in Europe then the most readily available 'branded' ink is Inktec Sublinova Smart. Costs about 40euro for 4 x 100ml set. Very good ink. It contaiins smaller particles than some sublimation inks so doesn't clog the printhead. Most suppliers will be able to get you a profile, if not the money you save on the ink will pay for a custom one.

I use S;race paper. Very good quality. I get better blacks using it than I do with texprint XPHR.
into the T likes this.

Old February 3rd, 2020 Feb 3, 2020 3:48:50 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatWibble
If you are in Europe then the most readily available 'branded' ink is Inktec Sublinova Smart. Costs about 40euro for 4 x 100ml set. Very good ink. It contaiins smaller particles than some sublimation inks so doesn't clog the printhead. Most suppliers will be able to get you a profile, if not the money you save on the ink will pay for a custom one.

I use S;race paper. Very good quality. I get better blacks using it than I do with texprint XPHR.

I guess will choose the S-Race paper, its from a german company i think. Shouldnt i choose the paper my ICC profile is designed for or is that not neccessary?

Regarding the ink i thought this was to cheap to be any good, i would say 120 Euro is the limit for 4 x 100ml. I would only buy the sublisplash if its really that good and blow the others away and because of that RIP driver they offer. Its designed for the ET-2700 and i have the ET-2710, so i am not sure it would work in my case.

I have a question about the amount of ink printed on those papers. Sublisplash and even the subliselect ink's recommend according to their PDF tutorials that you should choose print quality "standard" and paper "premium semi gloss paper" or something like that. On youtube most tutorials actually tell me the opposite, they say normal paper and best quality which is kind of strange.

Are there different ICC profiles for shirts and mugs?

Old February 3rd, 2020 Feb 3, 2020 4:35:52 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

The ICC profile should match the ink printer and paper. The paper is the least important part - if you can get a profile for your printer and ink then that is a good starting place.

Sublinova is top quality ink, and is about the same price as genuine Epson sublimation ink at about 60 Euro per litre. 120 euro for 4 x 10ml is too much.

Changing the print quality or paper settings changes the amount of ink put onto the paper. Maybe the sublisplash doesn't soak into the paper coating very well.

I use Sublinova/s;race/epson 1500w with best photo and premium matte paper settings. I let the transfer dry for 10 mins before printing, which i find helps reduce ghosting.

Old February 3rd, 2020 Feb 3, 2020 4:53:18 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

no, 120 Euro for 4x100ml would be my limit. They offer the original Epson ultra chrome DS for 130 Euro (4x95ml). Their own brand (american made) is 100 Euro for 4x100ml. They also sell Subliking ink.

https://www.printbox-online.de/publi...d21cea39&ln=gb

Another ink i googled would be GIC, german ink company, they made a test against your Sublinova smart. So sublinova is korean made and they are a on themarket for a very long time.

Here is an interesting picture i have found
Highslide JS

Old February 3rd, 2020 Feb 3, 2020 5:40:26 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

another option are these inks from aliexpress

they get good reviews (i can't remember if it was users here or the other forum that recommended them)

i have attached some generic dyesub icc profiles for epson desktops (both soft and hard substrates)
Attached Files
File Type: zip dyesub icc.zip (5.24 MB, 3 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to into the T For This Useful Post:
Daninho79 (February 3rd, 2020)
Old February 3rd, 2020 Feb 3, 2020 5:51:28 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Oh i thought you need special ICCs for your specific Epson model and paper. Thanks for those profiles.

ANother question i have is are those ICC profiles always instant working, for example you open your file in affinity designer and print it with your ICC, thats it? Or are those ICC Profiles to see how the final print will look like and you have to adjust the colors because you now know how it will look like when its pressed?

Do you have any experience with sublisplash?

Old February 3rd, 2020 Feb 3, 2020 9:06:20 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daninho79
no, 120 Euro for 4x100ml would be my limit. They offer the original Epson ultra chrome DS for 130 Euro (4x95ml). Their own brand (american made) is 100 Euro for 4x100ml. They also sell Subliking ink.

https://www.printbox-online.de/publi...d21cea39&ln=gb

Another ink i googled would be GIC, german ink company, they made a test against your Sublinova smart. So sublinova is korean made and they are a on themarket for a very long time.

Here is an interesting picture i have found

They are stiffing you on those prices. Check over on the UK Dye Sub forum. There are a couple of german members there who can put you in the right direction.

The Following User Says Thank You to PatWibble For This Useful Post:
Daninho79 (February 5th, 2020)
Old February 3rd, 2020 Feb 3, 2020 7:09:12 PM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

those icc's are just a starting point should you fail to acquire specific icc's

you have to specify which icc to use in your program

The Following User Says Thank You to into the T For This Useful Post:
Daninho79 (February 5th, 2020)
Old February 5th, 2020 Feb 5, 2020 3:16:05 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatWibble
The ICC profile should match the ink printer and paper. The paper is the least important part - if you can get a profile for your printer and ink then that is a good starting place.

Sublinova is top quality ink, and is about the same price as genuine Epson sublimation ink at about 60 Euro per litre. 120 euro for 4 x 10ml is too much.

Changing the print quality or paper settings changes the amount of ink put onto the paper. Maybe the sublisplash doesn't soak into the paper coating very well.

I use Sublinova/s;race/epson 1500w with best photo and premium matte paper settings. I let the transfer dry for 10 mins before printing, which i find helps reduce ghosting.

Thank you very much, i ordered the sublinova ink and the versa paper from ink experts in the UK, they seem to have good prices. They will also provide the ICC Profile for my Ecotank printer which i ordered today.

What about those perchment sheets you hae to stuff in your shirts to prevent bleeding, or those important as well? Or can i probably use any other cheap printer paper for that?

What temperature, time and pressure do you suggest for mugs and shirts, i have no idea because in most videos you can see other settings.

Old 2 Weeks Ago Mar 19, 2020 8:02:38 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Dan Berg

Inkowl or Jteck

Old 2 Weeks Ago Mar 19, 2020 2:39:47 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Berg
Inkowl or Jteck
All I can say, never having used Inkowl, is I know of no wide format dye sub operations using inkowl. J-Tek is one of the, if not the, most popular wide format inks.

With that said if you are a desktop user J-Tek only comes in liters.

This is a discussion about starting sublimation as a hobby that was posted in the Dye Sublimation section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in