T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Dye Sublimation

Dye Sublimation Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of dye sublimation printing: printer selection, press time, durability, new technologies, etc.

New To Sublimation

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 3 Weeks Ago Jan 31, 2020 5:28:03 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Kyle
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default New To Sublimation

Good Evening Everyone! I am new to the sublimation/printing world. I'm looking to mainly get into the athletic wear side of it. I was wondering people could help point me in the right direction for the program/printer/press to start up with. There is so much information out the that it is very easy to get confused. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago Jan 31, 2020 7:09:10 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: New To Sublimation

You are off on the right foot by asking questions before investing in equipment. Seems logical but so many people buy and then ask questions.

You have a very broad range when using the term "athletic wear". Kind of like, "which car should I buy"?

The printers, presses, etc range from hundreds to tens of thousands depending on the market you are planning on attacking. You need to understand your market and what that market expects in a finished product. Is it a market that would require cut and sew or can you start by crushing pre-made shirts, socks, etc?

If you are looking at starting with printing on premade apparel I would suggest visiting www.vaporapparel.com. They are the big boys in dye sub blank apparel and have some really high quality shirts. 95% of people could never tell their spun poly shirts from cotton.

The one thing I always caution people looking to start out is how are you going to sell what you plan to make? Anyone can print on shirts, few can sell them.

The more details you can provide about your goals the more help you will receive. best of luck

Old 3 Weeks Ago Jan 31, 2020 7:16:09 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thanks for the response!

I am actually looking at doing the cut & sew. I am fortunate to live in an area that have a bunch of travel youth sports and adult sports. I will venture off into other things but I'm not looking at doing a large run right now. A couple orders a month until I get to the point of getting larger orders.

There are not many sublimation companies around in this area, so I am looking to try and strike while to market is there! I was thinking along the line of a 4-5' wide printer. Is that too small too big to start out with? Just trying to see where I really should start with it.

Old 3 Weeks Ago Feb 1, 2020 10:10:10 AM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Thanked 1,279 Times in 1,049 Posts

So for print/cut/sew I would say you need a large format printer and heat press. If you can get a sublimation printer that does fabric then you don't need the heat press. I would start by contacting Roland, Epson, HP.

https://www.google.com/search?q=larg...hrome&ie=UTF-8

If you can print directly on the garment you will save yourself a lot of time. After that you will need a serger and patterns.

Old 3 Weeks Ago Feb 1, 2020 6:10:40 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by binki
So for print/cut/sew I would say you need a large format printer and heat press. If you can get a sublimation printer that does fabric then you don't need the heat press. I would start by contacting Roland, Epson, HP.

https://www.google.com/search?q=larg...hrome&ie=UTF-8

If you can print directly on the garment you will save yourself a lot of time. After that you will need a serger and patterns.
I plan on doing spot dye as well and not just cut/sew. I need to see what all I will able and willing to do.

Old 3 Weeks Ago Feb 1, 2020 6:16:58 PM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Thanked 1,279 Times in 1,049 Posts

Good deal. I would look toward the large format printers over the desktop versions.

Old 3 Weeks Ago Feb 2, 2020 10:07:58 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmaltz20
I plan on doing spot dye as well and not just cut/sew. I need to see what all I will able and willing to do.
When new to the market you want all options available to you as far as substrates you can create. I would stay away from roll presses and direct to fabric printers as that eliminates everything but fabric. The exception is the new HP Switch that can easily "switch" between print to paper or print to fabric. I do not know anyone using this printer as it is pretty new but it is the first dye sub printer in decades that uses different print head technology than the standard Epson print head.

I would guess the most popular wide format printer being used for dye sub is the Mutoh RJ900X. Starting out the Epson wide format printer is probably the best and safest choice due to how the warranty is handled which is critical. Especially when you are new. Epson directly warrants the printer through their service partner. All the others warranty is handled by the distributor who sold you the printer. The most critical part and the part that fails the most frequent is the print head. If you have an Epson they come out and replace. If you have a different printer and it fails in warranty - well good luck. You will either become a printer tech learning how to replace a print head or you will pay for someone to travel and come on site.

When starting out keeping it simple is critical. After a year or two you will better understand the direction of your business and what methods will allow you to get their the best - best of luck - - -

This is a discussion about New To Sublimation that was posted in the Dye Sublimation section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in