T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Dye Sublimation

Dye Sublimation Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of dye sublimation printing: printer selection, press time, durability, new technologies, etc.

Epson printer problem WF-7210 and WF-7710

Like Tree7Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 1st, 2020 Jan 1, 2020 1:18:00 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Tammy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Epson printer problem WF-7210 and WF-7710

I am hoping that I can get some advice on what I am doing wrong with these 2 printers....

On the WF-7210, I am guilty of not having used it, as I had no orders for awhile, and hadn't played with it as much. (I am using Cobra Ink.) So when I received several orders, when I printed the first one out, it was seriously banding. I ran the nozzle cleaning on the printer, didn't fix it, so I followed the videos on Cobra to see if I could clean the print heads, etc. I have taken the ink cartridges out, cleaned under the print head, as shown in the video, as well as used their syringe and cleaning fluid to clean the nozzles. I even took the loading syringe and made sure that the ink was getting through the tubes and to the print heads ok. All seems good, but when I do a check, I ony have the Cyan looking good and the others are very spotty....

So, I went to my brand new, never been touched WF-7710 that I had as back up. It has never had ink in it, but was converted to sublimation ink by Cobra before they shipped it to me. I loaded the ink up, everything went smoothly, and silly me, I thought, ok, I'll be up and running! But no matter what I do, nothing is getting printed on the paper! Ink is to the print head, but when I do a check, absolutely no ink comes out on the paper!

I conversed with Richard, I think it was, of Cobra Ink, and he eventually told me that it is the printer itself.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? The ink is dated February, 2019. Does Cobra Ink deteriorate enough to cause problems, or am I just really, really missing something here?

I am seriously considering scrapping both Epsons and purchasing a dedicated sublimation printer, such as the Sawgrass...and make sure I print something every day...but in the meantime, is there any suggestions on why neither one will work? The older one I can understand, but the brand new one, never had ink in it before, I am baffled!

Thank you in advance for any thoughts or suggestions! And please, be kind! I'm still learning this sublimation stuff, and the last time my printer died on me, it was in the middle of a print job!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 1st, 2020 Jan 1, 2020 2:14:04 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Default Re: Epson printer problem WF-7210 and WF-7710

There you have it - the cheapest is not always the cheapest. You have a double whammy. First letting an Epson sit and second using a CIS. For every CIS that works there are 10+ that do not. It is like they were designed to sell ink as you spend more time trying to get them to print then actually making money. If you notice you seldom see these post, which are common for Cobra ink users, for those using a Ricoh. So what is the options - buy an expensive printer/ink so your infrequent use does not cause so many issues or keep buying Epsons or have someone print transfers for you.

Old January 1st, 2020 Jan 1, 2020 2:16:15 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Scott

I have two Epson WF-7720 (similar model) one is a dedicated sub printer (bought from new no mods or rip software). I do recall somewhere about before using third party cartridges, to use original Epson cartridges first. That is what I did then switched to refillable generic cartridges to fill with sub dye. no problems with printing. Also you might check to see if the vent hole is plugged or installed - this will prevent refillable cartridges from working. I left them in when refilling and installed - nothing, then I remembered to remove the plugs.
into the T likes this.

Old January 1st, 2020 Jan 1, 2020 2:40:35 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Scott

I have two Epson Wf-7720 (similar series) One is dedicated for dye sub. I bought it new with no mods or RIP software. I have no problem with refillable cartridges and dye sub. With these Epsons, you must first use original cartridges for the first time. Then move on to the refillable cartridges. Also be sure to check the vent hole. The plug has to be removed for the cartridge to work. They are usually installed during shipping and used for refilling purposes. If you leave them in - the printer cartridge will not work.

Old January 1st, 2020 Jan 1, 2020 4:26:51 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Fan

I had done my homework before purchasing the first Epson, the WF-7210. There seems to be many people who use it with no problems, or very few. Also many people use Cobra Ink, so I thought that I was chosing wisely.

By your post, I am assuming you use Ricoh printers? Sawgrass?

Old January 1st, 2020 Jan 1, 2020 4:36:19 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by starleen2
With these Epsons, you must first use original cartridges for the first time. Then move on to the refillable cartridges. Also be sure to check the vent hole. The plug has to be removed for the cartridge to work. They are usually installed during shipping and used for refilling purposes. If you leave them in - the printer cartridge will not work.

I did not print with original cartridges with either printer. I have had little trouble with the WF-7210 except for the one time it quite printing cyan right in the middle of printing a decent sized order. I tried to print first with the original ink with the WF-7710, but it is very difficult with the sublimation ink set-up already installed and I couldn't figure out how to do so.

I removed the shipping plugs and placed the small vent plugs in before I attempted to print.

Hoping that these two printers are not just boat anchors and I can fix at least one of them...

Old January 2nd, 2020 Jan 2, 2020 7:55:20 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLHayes639
I had done my homework before purchasing the first Epson, the WF-7210. There seems to be many people who use it with no problems, or very few. Also many people use Cobra Ink, so I thought that I was chosing wisely.

By your post, I am assuming you use Ricoh printers? Sawgrass?
We are a wide format shop. If you read all the post with printing issues that vast majority of the times it is Epson and Cobra/CIS. Very seldom do you ever see a Ricoh have such printing problems. The cost of ink really is a variable that in many cases has little bearing on total cost. Coffee mugs and the like are perfect example. How much do you save per mug using Epson vs Ricoh? My point really was the cheapest upfront cost is not always the cheapest operating cost. You are a perfect example.

Old January 2nd, 2020 Jan 2, 2020 8:21:25 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Thanked 2,552 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starleen2
With these Epsons, you must first use original cartridges for the first time. Then move on to the refillable cartridges.

This may have been true at 1 time, but Cobra recommends you first fire up a new Epson with the refillables installed.

Old January 2nd, 2020 Jan 2, 2020 11:13:02 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hi
try to print first with the originals
best regards
Mauri

Old January 3rd, 2020 Jan 3, 2020 9:15:51 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurivillar
Hi
try to print first with the originals
best regards
Mauri

I tried with the one I had been using, but no go. I do not think I have the original for the newer printer...

Old January 4th, 2020 Jan 4, 2020 5:34:48 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hi
Did you already put original ink?
1: see if there is ink in the lines.
2: with a 911 wet paper or 91% alcohol, put it in the printer head on the print side and see if it paints in any color.
3: If you paint and all colors are there, then the problem is not the inks is another.

write when you do all that
best regards
Mauri

Old January 4th, 2020 Jan 4, 2020 9:32:42 AM -   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurivillar
Hi
Did you already put original ink?
1: see if there is ink in the lines.
2: with a 911 wet paper or 91% alcohol, put it in the printer head on the print side and see if it paints in any color.
3: If you paint and all colors are there, then the problem is not the inks is another.

write when you do all that
best regards
Mauri

There is ink in all of the lines. I have used the syringe to pull ink through the cartridges, and all are good. When I set up my first one, I could see air pockets, but the lines look very good in both machines, no air pockets that I can see.

I am not sure what you are asking me to do on #2....When I take the cartridges out, there is a little bit of ink on the little cones that go into the cartridges, so I believe ink is at the print head....

Old January 4th, 2020 Jan 4, 2020 9:49:09 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

https://youtu.be/m5d81A-nKp4
see the video
dbreister likes this.

Old January 4th, 2020 Jan 4, 2020 2:37:04 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Doug

People have been having problems with Cobra inks in Epson printers. There are many videos on youtube about this. One of Cobras techs said the screens in the cartridges they sell get clogged by their ink. I have talked to a couple of Cobra users, and they say they are not happy.
I have used InkOwl and Cosmo ink with no problems. I don't know if the problem is Cobra ink, or the refillable cartridges they are selling!
splathead likes this.

Old January 6th, 2020 Jan 6, 2020 7:08:22 PM -   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers94
People have been having problems with Cobra inks in Epson printers. There are many videos on youtube about this. One of Cobras techs said the screens in the cartridges they sell get clogged by their ink. I have talked to a couple of Cobra users, and they say they are not happy.
I have used InkOwl and Cosmo ink with no problems. I don't know if the problem is Cobra ink, or the refillable cartridges they are selling!

I thought I had researched this all soooo very well before buying the printer and ink, but now, a year later, I am finding out that there has been many problems with Epsons clogging up. I don't know if it is only with Cobra Inks, but clogging is a serious issue.

I have watched the videos provided by Cobra Ink, done everything but stand on my head, contacted Cobra Ink, all for naught...

I'm pretty discouraged with these two boat anchors, so am seriously considering switching over to a Sawgrass...

This is a discussion about Epson printer problem WF-7210 and WF-7710 that was posted in the Dye Sublimation section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in