T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Dye Sublimation

Dye Sublimation Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of dye sublimation printing: printer selection, press time, durability, new technologies, etc.

Dye sub transfer issue-indentation from paper

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 5 Days Ago Sep 10, 2019 9:52:13 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Dye sub transfer issue-indentation from paper

New to the process and just ran my first sample of a dye sub transfer on a %100 polyester white (sport-tek).

I used a hotronix 16x20 set at 395* for 55 seconds on medium (5) pressure as the sample requested.

The design came out fine, the colors were not as vibrant as we had hoped, but were acceptable.

The main problem we had was a line indentation around the design from the outside of the transfer paper that was left on the shirt.

The shirt was threaded on the press with parchment paper underneath, and we added another piece of parchment paper on top of the transfer before pressing.

Can anyone offer advice on how to avoid the indentation from around the edge of the transfer paper?

Thanks in advance for the help...
Sandy

Last edited by Wheat; 5 Days Ago at 09:58 AM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5 Days Ago Sep 10, 2019 10:19:03 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Amw
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Marsha & Tony
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: Dye sub transfer issue-indentation from paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheat
New to the process and just ran my first sample of a dye sub transfer on a %100 polyester white (sport-tek).

I used a hotronix 16x20 set at 395* for 55 seconds on medium (5) pressure as the sample requested.

The design came out fine, the colors were not as vibrant as we had hoped, but were acceptable.

The main problem we had was a line indentation around the design from the outside of the transfer paper that was left on the shirt.

The shirt was threaded on the press with parchment paper underneath, and we added another piece of parchment paper on top of the transfer before pressing.

Can anyone offer advice on how to avoid the indentation from around the edge of the transfer paper?

Thanks in advance for the help...
Sandy
There are a lot of post that deal with this issue which you could probably find with a search.

You could...
Cut the paper around your design.
Make the edge of the paper soft (by tearing the edge).
Print on paper larger then the platen.
Use a platen smaller then your paper.
Use foam to eliminate the hard edge.
As well as many other ways.

Old 5 Days Ago Sep 10, 2019 10:25:29 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Thanked 2,507 Times in 2,225 Posts

The only sure way to avoid a transfer line is to use paper larger than your heat press.

There are tips and trick if that is not possible. Some swear if you tear the edge around the whole transfer it minimizes the line.

You can also decrease your pressure to a 3 or 4 which might help.

And ditch the parchment paper. Not sure what that does for you other than presses the transfer edge farther into the shirt.

As far as colors, are you using RBG color profiles?

Old 5 Days Ago Sep 10, 2019 3:00:04 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for the replies.
I don’t know what color profile was used on the sample, just ordered a couple of sheets online to test the pressing process.

Just got our Epson 7710 today and will start setting up tomorrow and moving towards printing our own transfers to experiment with. The Dye sub inks, cartridges and paper have been shipped from Cobraink and are on the way.

Tearing each transfers edges is not a good option, if that works, we’ll be pressing too many and that would be a pain.

I’ll look into another smaller platen, and will probably just order a custom one from hotronix, the art is on 13x16 paper and the design is 12 1/2” x 13” so I guess i’ll order a 12 3/4” x 15” platen and not worry about it.

I’ll also experiment with pressures and take the time to search around the site for more options.

Thx again for the replies, this site has made my new journey easier...
Sandy

Last edited by Wheat; 5 Days Ago at 03:07 PM..

This is a discussion about Dye sub transfer issue-indentation from paper that was posted in the Dye Sublimation section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in