T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Dye Sublimation

Dye Sublimation Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of dye sublimation printing: printer selection, press time, durability, new technologies, etc.

Help - Is Sublimiation Printing really this BAD?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By webtrekker

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 4 Weeks Ago Jul 13, 2019 11:51:50 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Help - Is Sublimiation Printing really this BAD?

Hello Experts Good day!

So I was planning to print a lot of shirts for personal use and for gifts and maybe for business if things turn out well.

I found a T-Shirt Printing Shop here in Cubao Philippines (Farmers Plaza Mall, if you are familiar with the place).

I first made a Black and White Design, to see how it will turn out after they print it on a White 100% Poly T-Shirt.

The Blacks were really solid, but I noticed some of the Lines had Green-ish Stains around them. (See first Attached Photo)

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/attach...1&d=1563046859

I asked the guy who worked on the shirt and he said its Normal for this to happen because if a Logo Doesn't have a color inside it. He said the Black Ink bleeds out produces this greenish color/stains around it.

So I created another design and filled up all the blank/white spaces with Colors so that the Bleeding Stains Issue wont happen. But now another problem happened, the colors are different. See Second Attached Photo..

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/attach...1&d=1563046859

The Yellow Color in my design turned out Green-ish. Also if you check the background of the logo.. I colored it GRAY.. but after they printed it to the shirt, the background color became SEPIA or BROWN-ish.

Is this really how Dye Sublimation works? Or are they doing something wrong and I should bring back the shirts? I saw a Blog saying when you Press a Shirt TOO LONG, it can burn the design and cause discoloration.. Is this true? Maybe they pressed the shirts I ordered too long? But they work at the printing shop so I think they should already know the right Timing and Pressure for the Shirts that they are using...

Thank you for reading my post. And I really appreciate any tips you can give.
I see people being able to print life-like prints on their 100% Poly shirts so I was really expecting great print outs from trying dye sublimation. Thanks again in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VCPrintCubao01.jpg (94.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg VCPrintCubao02.jpg (139.9 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by vixen58; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:58 AM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago Jul 13, 2019 12:25:30 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Thanked 1,230 Times in 1,002 Posts

Default Re: Help - Is Sublimiation Printing really this BAD?

What software are you using, what printer are you using, what dyesub inks are you using?

The bleed is not normal. It shouldn't bleed like that at all. Maybe too much pressure on the press or there is something in your design you don't see. It looks to me that it is in your design.

For the color problems, color management is something you need to work on. Your screen is only a representation and not the actual color. A pantone bridge book (about $100) is a good way to start out and also printing a color chart and pressing it on a shirt or material to see what the final colors will look like and make that your color palette.

Good luck. Let us know if any of this helps.

Conde has some good videos on that. Start here: --->>> https://www.google.com/search?q=cond...w=1600&bih=789

The Following User Says Thank You to binki For This Useful Post:
vixen58 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago Jul 13, 2019 3:27:31 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I see you're not printing these yourself (yet) so you're at the mercy of these 'experts' that are printing your designs for you.

Well, as I said in your introductory post, these problems crop up but can be solved if you use quality inks and the colour management of your printer has been set correctly.

Actually, it may not be entirely the fault of the print shop. The trouble begins when you take a design that looks great on your monitor and try to print it.

My recommendation, if you plan on using a print shop, is to get them to print colour swatches that you have saved from your monitor then, when making future designs, you will have a printed reference chart to base your colour selections on. This means that the colours may look 'off' on your monitor but will print correctly, if you know what I mean.

Once you have your own sublimation setup you can have ICC printer profiles made to match your inks and printer and will be able to get a better match between monitor and printer.

Of course, press times, temperatures and pressures must also be taken into consideration and you will find with your own setup that it takes time and patience to find the 'sweet spot' for different garments. Too high a temperature for too long, for instance, may burn the blacks so that they print brown.
into the T likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to webtrekker For This Useful Post:
vixen58 (4 Weeks Ago)

Old 4 Weeks Ago Jul 15, 2019 12:04:17 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Red face Re: Help - Is Sublimiation Printing really this BAD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by webtrekker
I see you're not printing these yourself (yet) so you're at the mercy of these 'experts' that are printing your designs for you.

Well, as I said in your introductory post, these problems crop up but can be solved if you use quality inks and the colour management of your printer has been set correctly.

Actually, it may not be entirely the fault of the print shop. The trouble begins when you take a design that looks great on your monitor and try to print it.

My recommendation, if you plan on using a print shop, is to get them to print colour swatches that you have saved from your monitor then, when making future designs, you will have a printed reference chart to base your colour selections on. This means that the colours may look 'off' on your monitor but will print correctly, if you know what I mean.

Once you have your own sublimation setup you can have ICC printer profiles made to match your inks and printer and will be able to get a better match between monitor and printer.

Of course, press times, temperatures and pressures must also be taken into consideration and you will find with your own setup that it takes time and patience to find the 'sweet spot' for different garments. Too high a temperature for too long, for instance, may burn the blacks so that they print brown.

Thank you Binki and WebTrekker! I'll try to look for a shop that knows how to use their tools better. The fact that they said the Bleeding is Normal means they really dont know much about sublimation.

Thank you also for confirming that colors can change if they burn or press the print for too long.

Ill check the forums for other shops in the Philippines thank you guys for being so helpful!!!

This is a discussion about Help - Is Sublimiation Printing really this BAD? that was posted in the Dye Sublimation section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in