T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Dye Sublimation

Dye Sublimation Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of dye sublimation printing: printer selection, press time, durability, new technologies, etc.

The Holy Grail???

Like Tree19Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 12th, 2019 Jul 12, 2019 1:25:30 PM -   #31 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Holy Grail???

cameo is gonna need a new cutting strip

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2019 Jul 12, 2019 2:04:29 PM -   #32 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy
I have not tried it.
to bad, cause you sure have enough of knowledge to pull this.

The Following User Says Thank You to seacookie For This Useful Post:
DrivingZiggy (July 15th, 2019)
Old 4 Weeks Ago Jul 16, 2019 7:41:55 AM -   #33 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: AL
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

First of all this is not the Holy Grail that it is being marketed as by some very well endowed Marketeers.
THIS IS A DECAL SYSTEM ONLY.

I am amazed how some on the forum talk about how great the DTG system is for Dark Cotton shirts.From what I have read and heard from so many owners is the cost of the white ink per shirt, the maintenance to repair it, the pretreat cost and application and mot of all the up front cost of the equipment. It will take 15,000 to 20,000 shirts at $1.00 each added to your cost to pay down only the DTG printer. DTG is not a production process Screen printing is.
There are less costly applications for printing onto dark cotton shirts then spending this amount of money because it seems easier. Decals is is know where even close to sublimating onto cotton shirts. Lets start getting realistic.
AL
atttransfer.com

Old 4 Weeks Ago Jul 16, 2019 9:09:17 AM -   #34 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Well, that makes sense.

Also, sublimation will NEVER work for cotton as there's simply no way the inks can penetrate and stay inside the cotton fibres. The best that can be achieved is some kind of layer ON TOP OF the cotton that can, in turn, be sublimated. However, as mentioned above, that's a DECAL and not sublimation in the true sense.

Old 4 Weeks Ago Jul 17, 2019 12:11:52 AM -   #35 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat

Irrespective of the semantics of decals/cotton/sublimation, my issue will always be the washability of the decal.

The ink doesn't wash out of any other substrate. If it washes out of this product then it isn't truely sublimating into the substrate ( in this case the decal). As such the product isn't any different to any of the other 'sublimatable' vinyls on the market.

If the ink doesn't wash out, then it is sublimating correctly. In that case then it may not be the holy grail, but it will be a usable product.
into the T likes this.

Old 4 Weeks Ago Jul 20, 2019 12:54:07 AM -   #36 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

This is just my two cents.

I got some easy subli the day everyone started shipping it. Iím blown away at the hand. It feels soft. I donít know how to explain it because while it may be technically thick at 220 microns, it does not even feel that thick.

Iím using it with an Epson WF-7210 with inks from cobra ink. The new sublimation ink that does not need a color profile with the epson printers. So i donít have an expensive setup. $250.00 tops.

Iíve printed several designs all full color. A few detailed designs that have the full color spectrum in them. Iíve given them to friends and asked them to wash it normally and not have a care about washing temp so or detergents used.

Iíve kept several shirts and have been wearing them often and washing them often. Iíve washed the shirts Iíve kept over and over and have not seen a drastic change in the colors. I have easily washed some of the shirts upwards of 25-30 times. Putting them in the laundry every time someone is doing laundry and not paying any attention to settings. They have been dried on normal temp cycles. Using dryer sheets and fabric softener. I have not seen any major change in the color.

My friends that I gave shirts too report the same.

I personally love this product. Itís a bit expensive but when you buy it by the roll it gets cheaper. And I think itís coming out to be about the same cost or slightly cheaper than DTG. Time and years will tell how itís going to hold up. But I have so far had nothing butís praise for this product. As Iíve said itís been washed more than a few times and still looks great.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DannyBoye For This Useful Post:
BigTonyOfDC (3 Weeks Ago), PatWibble (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago Jul 20, 2019 3:04:04 AM -   #37 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

OK. I was willing to bite the bullet and give this a whirl, from UK supplier Grafityp.

However, ................ have you seen the price of this stuff?

I don't think I can make it wothwhile at almost £2 for an A4 sheet of the stuff. I struggle to make a profit on dyesubbed 100% polyester and that only costs me around 20p for a printed A4 sheet.

I'll wait until the price comes down or until more bulk buying options are available before giving it a go.

Old 4 Weeks Ago Jul 20, 2019 7:22:17 AM -   #38 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Ziggy
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I just got an e-mail from Sawgrass to invite me to their webinar that's coming up on Thursday. In case you guys don't get the same e-mails that I do, here you go:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawgrass
Webinar:
Expand Your Creativity with EasySubli Inks

Enhance your creations using ink specially formulated for sublimation on vinyl.

Sawgrass' Jimmy Lamb and Meghan Rodenhouse will show you how EasySubli Ink allows you to print vibrant, full-color images on dark polyester and cotton using only one sheet of white vinyl.

Jul 25, 2019 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM EDT
Register Now →

Old 4 Weeks Ago Jul 21, 2019 11:57:31 PM -   #39 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by webtrekker

However, ................ have you seen the price of this stuff?

I don't think I can make it wothwhile at almost £2 for an A4 sheet of the stuff.

But if you can get 6 breast logos out of a sheet they are only costing you 35 - 40pence per application. Or two 3.5 x 10" logos will cost you £1 each. The printer and cutter do 95% of the work so there is still good profit to be made for very little work.

To me any form of vinyl based printable media is primarily for logos on workwear or sportswear, not for large fashion prints.
If there is a sublimation based media that removes the need to invest in a £7k-£15k solvent printer then for me that will be a game changer.
But before we can call it a game changer or the Holy Grail then it needs to be proven to work as well as the best solvent media. As things stand none of the existing sublimatable vinyls perform anywhere near as well as solvent media, in terms of image sharpness,washability or the ability to tumble dry.

It is up to Siser to prove that their product is any better. What concerns me about the image that Siser use in their video is that it contains few bold colour blocks or sharp lines.

Old 4 Weeks Ago Jul 22, 2019 3:14:57 AM -   #40 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy
I just got an e-mail from Sawgrass to invite me to their webinar that's coming up on Thursday. In case you guys don't get the same e-mails that I do, here you go:
Just had a look on the Siser Italy website at the Easy Subli. Not a single mention of Sawgrass or special EasySubli inks - you can use this with any sublimation ink. There is absolutely no need to have a dedicated printer with special inks just for this product.
Looks like you guys in the US are being subjected to/stiffed by an exclusive ditribution deal for Sawgrass to keep you buying their inks and Virtuoso printers. Nice work if you can get it.

Here is a link to the Siser web page in Europe - not a mention of Sawgrass.

https://www.siser.com/digital-printing/easy-subli/

Compare it to the North American page -

http://www.siserna.com/easysubli/

I have attached Sisers tech specs pdf. Again no mention of Sawgrass.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EASY_SUBLI_EN.pdf (284.7 KB, 6 views)
splathead likes this.

Last edited by PatWibble; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:26 AM..

Old 4 Weeks Ago Jul 22, 2019 7:47:13 AM -   #41 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Thanked 2,502 Times in 2,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatWibble
Just had a look on the Siser Italy website at the Easi Subli. Not a single mention of Sawgrass or special EasiSubli inks - you can use this with any sublimation ink. There is absolutely no need to have a dedicated printer with special inks just for this product.
Looks like you guys in the US are being subjected to/stiffed by an exclusive ditribution deal for Sawgrass to keep you buying their inks and Virtuoso printers. Nice work if you can get it.

I had originally figured as much when the Siser page said you didn't need any special version of the Sawgrass ink. What you already had would work.

Not sure what percentage of the U.S. dye-suib market Sawgrass has, but you would think Siser wouldn't handicap themselves by inferring this technique only works with Sawgrass.

Old 4 Weeks Ago Jul 22, 2019 8:18:04 AM -   #42 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatWibble
But if you can get 6 breast logos out of a sheet they are only costing you 35 - 40pence per application. Or two 3.5 x 10" logos will cost you £1 each. The printer and cutter do 95% of the work so there is still good profit to be made for very little work.
Why do people always worry about ink cost when again in this example the ink, even Sawgrass, is going to cost less than the paper. If you are doing small logos as mentioned above ink cost means zero.

Old 4 Weeks Ago Jul 22, 2019 9:23:07 AM -   #43 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by splathead

Not sure what percentage of the U.S. dye-suib market Sawgrass has, but you would think Siser wouldn't handicap themselves by inferring this technique only works with Sawgrass.
If it is anything like the European market then much of it will be at the hobbie/home producer end of the market.You have to assume that the Siser Italian parent co. thinks it is more profitable to have Sawgrass pick up the marketing tab for the US and Asian subsidiaries. They don't seem interested in letting Sawgrass get involved in their 'home' European market.

I just hope that not too many people who already have dye sub printers will get dupped into buying easysubli packages unnecessarily, when a simple profile will probably do.

It all shows why forums like this are important.

Now I know that this will work with other inks I will try some to see how it stacks up.
into the T likes this.

Old 3 Weeks Ago Jul 23, 2019 6:17:03 AM -   #44 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: AL

It is still a DECAL that is sublimated onto and stuck onto a substrate being Cotton, polyester, ot wood.
AL

Last edited by splathead; 5 Days Ago at 09:19 AM..

Old 3 Weeks Ago Jul 23, 2019 7:00:17 AM -   #45 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublial
It is still a DECAL that is sublimated onto and stuck onto a substrate being Cotton, polyester, ot wood.
AL
atttransfer.com

This is a discussion about The Holy Grail??? that was posted in the Dye Sublimation section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in