T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Dye Sublimation

Dye Sublimation Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of dye sublimation printing: printer selection, press time, durability, new technologies, etc.

Ghosting (but not in the conventional sense!)

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By cprvh

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 1 Week Ago May 9, 2019 8:39:25 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question Ghosting (but not in the conventional sense!)

Hi people.

I've read some info on 'ghosting' and most of it seems to be about transfers shifting while still hot.

I'm printing on very lightweight fabric and have a different ghost problem... I'm getting ghosts from the previous design that I pressed ! I can't get my head around whether the ink residue is from the bottom or the top plate?

What product should I use to clean the heat plate and the rubber mat with ? I have some Teflon sheets. Are they used to stop ink subliminating from the front to the back of a shirt or to stop it soaking up or down onto the press ? Additionally maybe my misuse of Teflon.. could it be the sheet that's carrying over ?

Lots of questions.. New to this.. Can you tell ?
Any suggestions much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago May 10, 2019 9:09:08 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Ron

Default Re: Ghosting (but not in the conventional sense!)

What you are seeing blow through that is contaminating your press.

You can use cheap copy paper to help remove any sublimation residue from your press. Put a clean sheet in and press the blank sheet for 30-60 seconds. Throw that piece away and put in another clean sheet. Keep doing this until the image is gone. Might take ten times, but you should see the image on the copy paper get lighter each time.

To prevent this from happening you will need to use cheap copy paper, newsprint, butcher paper...any clean inexpensive paper to use as a blotter. Use a new sheet each time you press. The idea is for the blotter paper to absorb any blow through.

Old 1 Week Ago May 11, 2019 9:20:46 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I never really get these post as we have never had a single paper brand blow through to the top platen - never. Now if you press too long or too hot you can get it to blow through the fabric but again blowing through coated paper? If we had to have a top blotter piece and change every press we would increase cost and time by quiet a bit.

Old 1 Week Ago May 12, 2019 5:28:50 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Ron

Sorry...didn't make myself clear. As you mentioned you should not need a top blotter...if you need a top blotter, there is a problem.

I believe they were working with some very light weight fabrics. We will use a blotter inside the shirt for some fabrics to prevent any dyes from getting through to the back. I know we printed some burnouts last week that required this. Generally the Teflon pillow works fine, but some very porous fabrics require a blotter for best results.

This is a discussion about Ghosting (but not in the conventional sense!) that was posted in the Dye Sublimation section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in