T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Dye Sublimation

Dye Sublimation Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of dye sublimation printing: printer selection, press time, durability, new technologies, etc.

is it worth getting the Virtuoso SG400 Worth it?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mgparrish

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old December 20th, 2017 Dec 20, 2017 9:47:24 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: kasey
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default is it worth getting the Virtuoso SG400 Worth it?

Hey guy's looking to get into sublimated mugs and phone cases etc.. Mostly small things. My research pointed to the SG 400, however it is about 900$ canadian and the ink seems to be fairly expensive! Is it really worth the price or are people using a different printer? What would be my best option? Looking for good quality, nothing that will produce cheap quality.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2017 Dec 21, 2017 3:51:18 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Amw
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Marsha & Tony
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: is it worth getting the Virtuoso SG400 Worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deceased10
Hey guy's looking to get into sublimated mugs and phone cases etc.. Mostly small things. My research pointed to the SG 400, however it is about 900$ canadian and the ink seems to be fairly expensive! Is it really worth the price or are people using a different printer? What would be my best option? Looking for good quality, nothing that will produce cheap quality.
We (and a lot of others) use Epson printers.
Check out someplace like Cobra ink for the ink and cartridges...they seam to be popular.
We produce products for your average customer as well as small and large business's, and government/military without any issue.

Some popular Epson models are:

Old December 21st, 2017 Dec 21, 2017 4:06:29 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I use the SG400, been using it for 6months and I love it! This machine is a great add-on if you already have a vinyl cutter, the ink is expensive but go on eBay and they have suppliers that sell the ink way cheaper, refillable ink cartridges so you can buy a bulk and refill yourself. It's a really powerful desktop printer the only difference between the SG400 and the SG800 is the size. I kinda wish I had gotten the SG800 just because of the wide format so you can cover more of the shirt, but just starting off its great. Make sure if you know the difference between all the paper available out there. Its soo many choices but it all comes down to what you're transferring the graphics too. If t-shirts look towards the Conde Reveal-S Film, there's another company out there that has a similar technology as far as the there film but I can't remember the name. But Conde does have one of the best papers out there for sublimation printers, only thing is they are very expensive! About $22 for 10 sheets. kind of ridiculous but when your one of the only ones in the industry with the best paper I guess you can charge whatever you feel like. There are plenty of other papers out there for cotton t-shirts but quality and durability doesn't compare to Conde's Reveal-S film. Search youtube for all the papers and review of each paper there plenty of people out there trying the product for everyone to see before purchasing. Also, ask the companies that supply the film for samples, you'll see who wants your business and you just want your money. Hope this helps!

Old December 21st, 2017 Dec 21, 2017 1:05:07 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Derek
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deceased10
Sawgrass is the way to go, and I dispute the cost of ink being high. use the correct printer with the correct ink and papers and with the built in ICC's in the 'powerdriver' just press print and not waste a single print once you've dialled in the press settings.

Old December 22nd, 2017 Dec 22, 2017 11:39:05 PM -   #5 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Thanked 1,145 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekzion
Sawgrass is the way to go, and I dispute the cost of ink being high. use the correct printer with the correct ink and papers and with the built in ICC's in the 'powerdriver' just press print and not waste a single print once you've dialled in the press settings.
The ink cost is very high if selling larger substrates and/or high volumes of anything > 6x8.

Obviously you're not in that category.
Dekzion likes this.

Old December 23rd, 2017 Dec 23, 2017 7:02:54 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Tom

Support sucks for the Virtuoso Printers. I have both the sg400 and the sg800 and when there is a problem you can not get a straight answer out of anyone. You can't find out if something is a common problem or if it is a fluke. Just in case somebody here might have an answer to my latest problem, here goes . . .
The SG800 was working fine until I put the bypass try back on, now it shows a "paper jam" that is nonexistent and will not clear. Anyone ever have this problem and if so, what was the solution?

This is a discussion about is it worth getting the Virtuoso SG400 Worth it? that was posted in the Dye Sublimation section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in