T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Dye Sublimation

Dye Sublimation Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of dye sublimation printing: printer selection, press time, durability, new technologies, etc.

Chromoblast ??

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 17th, 2009 Apr 17, 2009 10:03:14 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Sang
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Chromoblast ??

Just got 4880 and deciding to install the regular driver and do sublimation only or make it HYBRID and do Chromoblast also. but my question is if I already have a screen printing machine to do cottons do really need to do chromoblast on this printer? what are the advantages of chromoblast vs screen printing. Will the pros of splitting into hybrid affect the sublimation since only using 4 ink rather than 8 ?
Please help if you own 4880

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2009 Apr 18, 2009 1:29:20 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Dan

Default Re: Chromoblast ??

Don't do it the inks mix in the capping station causing constant clogging and cleaning problems.

Old April 18th, 2009 Apr 18, 2009 2:35:06 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Carl

Sorry I have to disagree. I have the dual setup on my 4880 and the only time I have had problems is when I have not printed anything in two or more weeks. All ink jet printers have this sort of issue if they just sit for long periods of tiem.

Old April 18th, 2009 Apr 18, 2009 8:06:00 AM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Slatkin
Don't do it the inks mix in the capping station causing constant clogging and cleaning problems.
I have never experienced the ChromaBlast and sublimation inks coagulating in the capping station. As mentioned, the primary reason for clogging is lack of use. If you have low humidity, cold temperatures or are in high altitude, then clogging can increase in less time.

However, I will say that the ChromaBlast ink does clog faster than any other inkjet transfer ink that I am aware of on the market. So you really need to determine if you plan on using the ChromaBlast ink that often. If you want some time to consider this, you can just use cleaning cartridges in the right side (where the ChromaBlast inks go) and then use the hybrid driver to run the sublimation side to pull ink from only 4-channels.

There are hybrids out there that use a different heat transfer ink that also has the UV inhibitors in it to print film positives. Some screen printers will run a hybrid like this to print their film positives on 17" wide film and you can get the software to print halftones. Of course, this type of setup requires a different software.

Just some things for your to consider. Good luck with your decision.

Mark

Old August 26th, 2009 Aug 26, 2009 4:54:46 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Damon

So, if I already started with ChromaBlast and decided that it wasn't the best setup for my purposes, then I could use the cleaning cartridges and later install something like MultiInk in its place? I understand that I'll need new RIP software to run it, but I wanted to make sure that it's possible to switch once I've started with ChromaBlast.

Side note: are cleaning cartridges available from most of the common distributors of Epson printers?

Old August 26th, 2009 Aug 26, 2009 5:41:32 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Cory

I know you can rent them from Sawgrass. They offered them to me when I was thinking of switching my 8 channel 4880 to a hybrid.

I ended up keeping the 4880 all sublimation and getting a Epson 1400 for ink transfers. I went with MultInk and I must say the ink is great and any clogs that I have had were extremely easy to fix ( just a head clean) The MultInk also works with standard Epson print drivers so there is no need for profiles. I highly recomend MultInk. No color shift either. Be careful when choosing Pigment ink. Although it may be Pigment , it may not be designed to handle heat without color shift.

I went this route so that I would not have to buy a rip for the 4880. With the money you save on the Rip you almost pay for a plotter with an optical eye to contour cut your transfers.

Old August 27th, 2009 Aug 27, 2009 4:18:32 AM -   #7 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDoorDesign
So, if I already started with ChromaBlast and decided that it wasn't the best setup for my purposes, then I could use the cleaning cartridges and later install something like MultiInk in its place? I understand that I'll need new RIP software to run it, but I wanted to make sure that it's possible to switch once I've started with ChromaBlast.

Side note: are cleaning cartridges available from most of the common distributors of Epson printers?
Yes, you can get the cleaning cartridges from just about any heat transfer / dye sub distributor. Depending on which printer you have, you can also buy refillable cartridges and use them for the LcLmLkLlk side. For example, you can usually get the 4 refillable 4800 cartridges and a liter of cleaning fluid for the same cost as a single ChromaBlast cartridge. The 4880 cartridges are more expensive because of the different chips needed.

Another trick when running a hybrid if you want to conserve your dye sub ink is to print boxes of cyan, magenta, yellow and black from the ChromaBlast side and that will help prime the lines with the cleaning fluid without running a head cleaning (as long as you are getting a good nozzle check). If your ChromaBlast is already clogged, then you are going to need to use the head cleaning function and the vacuum pump under the capping station to clear it. I would not dilute the cleaning fluid with distilled water (1:1 ratio) untill after you have cleaned out the ChromaBlast ink. You will want it at full strength to help clean everything out.

Cory is right that you have the option to run two separate printers if you want. Most people that have invested in a 48X0 printer would prefer not to deal with a bulk ink system or the small 17 ML refillable cartridges. I spent many of hours trying to keep a 1280 (dye sub) and R1800 (MultINK) bulk systems operating properly. Getting a smaller printer will also limit the size of transfers you can print and trying to run rolls of transfer paper through the smaller printers that don't have the built-in roll feed can be challenging. You will also need to consider the cost associated with buying a new printer, potential bulk ink system and the new set of inks compared to the cost of the RIP. Ultimately, it comes down to a preference based on each shop's requirements.

Please post any additional questions,

Mark

Old August 29th, 2009 Aug 29, 2009 12:31:23 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamnta
Just got 4880 and deciding to install the regular driver and do sublimation only or make it HYBRID and do Chromoblast also. but my question is if I already have a screen printing machine to do cottons do really need to do chromoblast on this printer? what are the advantages of chromoblast vs screen printing. Will the pros of splitting into hybrid affect the sublimation since only using 4 ink rather than 8 ?
Please help if you own 4880
Chromablast and Screen Printing are 2 completely different animals and processes. The advantage to Chromablast is that you can print just 1 shirt. Screen printing is only reasonable with bulk orders. But the quality between the 2 are very different also. Chromablast is like a beefed up inkjet transfer. You still have to trim the paper if you don't want a clear box, which is a real pain.

It sounds like you are just getting started, so I'd recommended reading a lot on these forums. Get familiar with the search function. Search should be your best friend. There are tons of helpful writeups regarding all 3 of the processes you are asking about.

For me, I use a hybrid setup of DyeSub and MultiInk. I very rarely use the MultiInk, except for printing film positives for screen printing. I've never had a clogging problem that a couple head cleanings would not resolve.

If you want really vibrant colors and a wide rage of deep reds and blues, then you need to go with the 8 color DyeSub setup. If you are happy with regular colors and don't need to do a lot of color matching, then the 4 color DyeSub hybrid setup will be fine and will save you some money.

Old August 29th, 2009 Aug 29, 2009 2:36:06 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Cory

I have the 8 color dye sub setup for my 4880 and the color is amazing. I also have the 6 color MultInk setup on the Epson 1400. I do use the MultInk setup quite a bit. So much so that I just ordered the Graphtec CraftRobo Pro to contour cut my transfers. This will allow me to use this setup even more. I just finished a boat show where all the contestants got a mousepad with the picture of their boat on it. The money I saved in sublimation ink by going with multInk just about payed for the printer and The MultInk. I did the same show last year and used up so much Dye sub ink it was nice to use the MultInk this year. customer didn't care, mousepads looked great and I got another option for mousepads, shirts, totes, etc.
And MultInk does not clog like sublimation or Chromablast! I love the sublimation process and am always blown away by the results but it is by far the most frustrating process I offer.

Old August 29th, 2009 Aug 29, 2009 3:48:55 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjoe Design
I have the 8 color dye sub setup for my 4880 and the color is amazing. I also have the 6 color MultInk setup on the Epson 1400. I do use the MultInk setup quite a bit. So much so that I just ordered the Graphtec CraftRobo Pro to contour cut my transfers. This will allow me to use this setup even more. I just finished a boat show where all the contestants got a mousepad with the picture of their boat on it. The money I saved in sublimation ink by going with multInk just about payed for the printer and The MultInk. I did the same show last year and used up so much Dye sub ink it was nice to use the MultInk this year. customer didn't care, mousepads looked great and I got another option for mousepads, shirts, totes, etc.
And MultInk does not clog like sublimation or Chromablast! I love the sublimation process and am always blown away by the results but it is by far the most frustrating process I offer.
Yes, I agree, the MultiInk works great for mousepads, and I think it looks even better than DyeSub because you can get more detail in an inkjet transfer than DyeSub. I've never understood why people want to DyeSub mousepads, if they have a choice. It's like washing your car with bottles of Evian .

This is a discussion about Chromoblast ?? that was posted in the Dye Sublimation section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in