Epson WF7110 - Need CIS system or Cartridges that work reliably (or an alternative comparable system)! - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Dye Sublimation

Dye Sublimation Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of dye sublimation printing: printer selection, press time, durability, new technologies, etc.

Epson WF7110 - Need CIS system or Cartridges that work reliably (or an alternative comparable system)!

Like Tree25Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 20th, 2017 May 20, 2017 9:54:56 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Epson WF7110 - Need CIS system or Cartridges that work reliably (or an alternative comparable system)!

Hi everybody,
I bought the Epson WF 7110 and Cobra Ink CIS system. They were ideal as I started production, but then the Epson refused to recognize the Cobra CIS.
I ended up getting replacement parts from Cobra, but this didn't help.
I even bought a new Epson WF 7110, it only worked for a day before refusing to recognize the Cobra CIS.
I love the Epson for it's 13x19 print size and for its price.
I love the idea and price of the Cobra CIS and there inks, but have been shut down and not able to print because the printer quickly tells me it does not recognize the CIS.
  • Any advice on solving this problem (I have tried a lot of solutions)?
  • Any suggestions for a CIS that does work reliably with the Epson WF 7110?
  • Any suggestion for an alternative and affordable sublimation system that prints the 13x19 prints?
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2017 May 23, 2017 7:44:26 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Renee

Did you purchase your printer directly from Cobra? I read a little snippet that some of the printer versions intended for other countries may not recognize the CIS. I am considering this package from them but I'm concerned about it working correctly.

Old May 24th, 2017 May 24, 2017 10:49:01 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: Epson WF7110 - Need CIS system or Cartridges that work reliably (or an alternative comparable system)!

After 3 weeks of struggling with that contraption from Cobra I gave it a heave hoe to my dumpster and went back to making $$$ instead of trying to fix that mickey mouse piece of junk.

I make money with what some people call expensive ink. I don't care how cheap the ink is, if you can't print, you aren't making any money. I don't make money with junk that doesn't work and takes hours a day going through all these steps to be right back where i started.....an altered machine that won't "see" what it is supposed to due to a flaw in their "work around" That's just the hardware, the software (colormanagment) set u is another case of poorly worded, unfocused, wishful thinking.

Good for all you folks with so much time on your hands you can figure it all out. You must be rich since your company doesn't need you to run it while you geek out over technical jargon us mere mortals fail to grasp while we multi-task a business that can't go on hold while we play
Dekzion likes this.

Old May 25th, 2017 May 25, 2017 12:37:05 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Billy

Default Re: Epson WF7110 - Need CIS system or Cartridges that work reliably (or an alternative comparable system)!

I have had nothing but issues with my Cobra CIS and WF-7110. Even though the guys are quick to help via text, the issues get overwhelming.

Even today, my cyan ink stopped printing, again....I had to stop and blow out the print head, again...now I am down to the wire on several jobs. 2nd replacement printer, 2nd replacement CIS. And like you, it stops recognizing the cartridges mid print but usually if I re-seat them, it starts working again. Wasted paper, wasted time.

I share in your frustration. What set up did you end up going with?
Dekzion likes this.

Old May 25th, 2017 May 25, 2017 1:20:49 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Larry
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I have both the Epson Artisan 1430 and WF7110...have only had one issue in over 2 years with cyan on the 7110 and, yeah, I had to do a manual purge and clean but it got working again and no more problems. On the 1430 an issue with the cartridge not being recognized...I changed out the chip and works fine. It's my opinion if you run the printers at least every couple days to make sure the heads do not clog you should be in decent shape. Of course there is always the bad machine as well. This was just my issues. I have made more than enough money to have a closet full of back up printers if they ever go bad )
I bought my printers off amazon and the inks from Cobra. I use their refillable carts...NOT CIS

The Following User Says Thank You to Viper Graphics For This Useful Post:
beerrubio (June 4th, 2017)
Old May 25th, 2017 May 25, 2017 1:21:16 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: John

I have a WF-7620 with Cobra refillable cartridges. I have been running it for over a year with no issues. I have not tried the CIS, though.
mgparrish likes this.

Old May 25th, 2017 May 25, 2017 1:52:35 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Billy

How often do you have to refill the carts?

Old May 25th, 2017 May 25, 2017 2:07:37 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazzx
Pigment - about once every week or two.
Dye sub - about once a month, lately, though it looks like our volume is starting to increase. I have mainly used dye sub for mugs. I will probably buy a dedicated printer for dye sub soon, since I now print this at least once a week.

This depends on volume, of course.
mgparrish likes this.

Old May 25th, 2017 May 25, 2017 2:34:55 PM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Larry

Quote:
That depends on how much printing volume you have. I went a couple months without refilling any but had an order that required over 120 full color, full sheet designs on 13 x 19 paper...depending on colors of design. I refilled all the carts only once on that project.....but the carts were almost empty when done so it took almost 2 full carts to complete job. No biggie, made very good profit on that job and cost of ink was minimal.
mgparrish likes this.

Old May 26th, 2017 May 26, 2017 9:48:26 AM -   #10 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Thanked 1,145 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
I have had nothing but issues with my Cobra CIS and WF-7110. Even though the guys are quick to help via text, the issues get overwhelming.

Even today, my cyan ink stopped printing, again....I had to stop and blow out the print head, again...now I am down to the wire on several jobs. 2nd replacement printer, 2nd replacement CIS. And like you, it stops recognizing the cartridges mid print but usually if I re-seat them, it starts working again. Wasted paper, wasted time.

I share in your frustration. What set up did you end up going with?
If you used refillable carts you wouldn't have these problems

Old May 26th, 2017 May 26, 2017 9:50:27 AM -   #11 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieja
Did you purchase your printer directly from Cobra? I read a little snippet that some of the printer versions intended for other countries may not recognize the CIS. I am considering this package from them but I'm concerned about it working correctly.
Beginners should use refillable carts first.

Old May 26th, 2017 May 26, 2017 9:56:24 AM -   #12 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerrubio
After 3 weeks of struggling with that contraption from Cobra I gave it a heave hoe to my dumpster and went back to making $$$ instead of trying to fix that mickey mouse piece of junk.

I make money with what some people call expensive ink. I don't care how cheap the ink is, if you can't print, you aren't making any money. I don't make money with junk that doesn't work and takes hours a day going through all these steps to be right back where i started.....an altered machine that won't "see" what it is supposed to due to a flaw in their "work around" That's just the hardware, the software (colormanagment) set u is another case of poorly worded, unfocused, wishful thinking.

Good for all you folks with so much time on your hands you can figure it all out. You must be rich since your company doesn't need you to run it while you geek out over technical jargon us mere mortals fail to grasp while we multi-task a business that can't go on hold while we play
I have been using Epsons and refillable carts since the beginning of inkjet sublimation. My printers last 2 to 3 years typically.

I save over $300 month not buying SG inks.

To be successful you need to learn to maintain a printer, troubleshoot when necessary, and learn color management.

You don't need the SG "training wheels" to be successful.
517heather likes this.

Old May 26th, 2017 May 26, 2017 1:01:34 PM -   #13 (permalink)
api
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgparrish
I have been using Epsons and refillable carts since the beginning of inkjet sublimation. My printers last 2 to 3 years typically.

I save over $300 month not buying SG inks.

To be successful you need to learn to maintain a printer, troubleshoot when necessary, and learn color management.

You don't need the SG "training wheels" to be successful.
Just thinking:

• If you can save $300/month using Cobra ink, you have to spend at least $250/month on Cobra ink (or $550/month SC) because SC ink is appr. 2.2 times as expensive as Cobra.
  • $250/month of Cobra ink is appr. 1.2 liter/month = 1200 ml/month.
  • If one image needs e.g. 1 ml (1 cc) of ink, you have to print 1200 images/month.
  • If you have 4 refillable cartridges in your EPSON printer, you have 3 standard (4 ml) and 1 XL (10 ml) cartridge. That is 22 ml ink altogether.
  • If you have to print 1200 ml ink per month, you have to refill your cartridges at least 1200/22=54 times/month.
  • If you sell 1200 images/month for e.g.: $4 profit/image, you make more than $4.8K/month = $57.6K/year.
  • With the $300/month saving on ink, you save $3600/year.
For this saving, you are using a desktop EPSON printer and refilling your cartridges 54 times/month...

Am I misunderstanding something?

With a wide format printer, you would have 700 ml or 1000 ml cartridges, that is 2.8-4 liter/printer, so you would have to touch the cartridges max. 4 times/year (!). You could use cheaper roll paper, you could have built in paper cutter, you could print larger images than 13"x19", etc.. For less than 10% of your 1-year profit, you could have the wide format printer and - if you'd still want to save extra on ink - you could still start messing with refillable cartridges and using other than SC ink.

I am not selling wide format printers!

Just thinking...
beerrubio likes this.

Old May 26th, 2017 May 26, 2017 1:12:43 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by api
Just thinking:

• If you can save $300/month using Cobra ink, you have to spend at least $250/month on Cobra ink (or $550/month SC) because SC ink is appr. 2.2 times as expensive as Cobra.
  • If one image needs e.g. 1 ml (1 cc) of ink, you have to print 1200 images/month.
  • If you have 4 refillable cartridges in your EPSON printer, you have 3 standard (4 ml) and 1 XL (10 ml) cartridge. That is 22 ml ink altogether.
  • If you have to print 1200 ml ink per month, you have to refill your cartridges at least 1200/22=54 times/month.
  • If you sell 1200 images/month for e.g.: $4 profit/image, you make more than $4.8K/month = $57.6K/year.
For this saving, you are using a desktop EPSON printer and refilling your cartridges 54 times/month...

With a wide format printer, you would have 700 ml or 1000 ml cartridges, that is 2.8-4 liter/printer, so you would have to touch the cartridges max. 4 times/year (!). You could use cheaper roll paper, you could have built in paper cutter, you could print larger images than 13"x19", etc.. For less than 10% of your 1-year profit, you could have the wide format printer and - if you'd still want to save extra on ink - you could still start messing with refillable cartridges and using other than SC ink.

Just thinking...
True, I picked up an HP Z6100 used that I use for pigment ink heat transfer paper. We do a lot of canvas panels (12 x 16). We pre-print them for "paint your pet" classes and then they paint over the pictures with acrylic paint (kind of like paint by numbers). I have also used that printer for Photo Tex window coverings and various other stuff. I go through a set of eight 750 ml ink cartridges about every 6 months with that printer. It wouldn't make sense to use the Epson for that. We use the Epson for printing brochures, flyers, checks and everyday office stuff. I also use it for dye sub printing (primarily mugs, but also some aluminum panels and a few shirts). Most of the shirts we do are either Heat Press Vinyl or Heat Transfer.

Old May 26th, 2017 May 26, 2017 1:36:25 PM -   #15 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by api
Just thinking:

Just thinking...
Dude, I have 2 13 x 19 printers and many carts, which I rotate in and out. Your math is wacko , and SG desktop inks are 5x as expensive.

I sell mostly tiles and larger items, I make more than 4 bucks an item or I wouldn't be doing this AND I sell wholesale, hence the volume.

And your wide format reasoning doesn't fit me. I do what I do with sub $200 printers, WHY should I use a wide format printer that cost >$5K. I run 2 printers at a time real often.

You don't have a clue about my business economics nor these printers.

Last edited by mgparrish; May 26th, 2017 at 02:14 PM..

This is a discussion about Epson WF7110 - Need CIS system or Cartridges that work reliably (or an alternative comparable system)! that was posted in the Dye Sublimation section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in