Epson WF7110 - Need CIS system or Cartridges that work reliably (or an alternative comparable system)! - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Dye Sublimation

Dye Sublimation Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of dye sublimation printing: printer selection, press time, durability, new technologies, etc.

Epson WF7110 - Need CIS system or Cartridges that work reliably (or an alternative comparable system)!

Like Tree25Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 27th, 2017 May 27, 2017 1:19:12 PM -   #31 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: John
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Epson WF7110 - Need CIS system or Cartridges that work reliably (or an alternative comparable system)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by api

3.) How can you be sure that the "cartridge not recognized" message is caused by a wrong contact or a defective chip only? If this would be the case, Richard, from Cobra, could simply send a few new cartridges (with good, tested chips) and the problem would be solved forever. I actually did purchase a few sets of extra cartridges for my WF1100 and WF7610 from him - hoping that the new chips will work - but they didn't. After that, Richard couldn't help at all...
When I have had this issue, I just take a pencil eraser to the contacts and that seems to fix it. I think it is an issue of oxidation on the contacts. Rubbing alcohol and q-tip can also work. I have never failed to clear it up and get the cartridge working again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2017 May 27, 2017 2:12:59 PM -   #32 (permalink)
api
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Default Re: Epson WF7110 - Need CIS system or Cartridges that work reliably (or an alternative comparable system)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john221us
When I have had this issue, I just take a pencil eraser to the contacts and that seems to fix it. I think it is an issue of oxidation on the contacts. Rubbing alcohol and q-tip can also work. I have never failed to clear it up and get the cartridge working again.
  • Cleaning the contacts was the first thing I tried. I am an electrical engineer; used professional CRC QD Electronic Cleaner instead of pencil eraser - Didn't help.
  • Then wrote to Richard asking his advice. He just suggested pulling out the cartridge, waiting for 5 minutes and reinstalling it. - Didn't help.
  • When I replied that it didn't work, he never even answered.
  • Then I ordered new sets of cartridges from them. - That didn't help either.
I changed my mind, bought a wide format printer, and it works without issues since then. I also calculated, and even using Sawgrass ink, my costs didn't increase noticeably, because the roll paper is less expensive than the sheets, there are no misprints, discarded cartridges, etc., and above all, no frustration, no lost time, just continuous production. The paper is 275' long, the cartridges are 700 ml each, instead of 4.

By the way, I am way too lazy to try, but I am pretty sure, if I would put the original EPSON cartridges back into my "brick" WF-7610, there would be no "cartridge not recognized" message, with the same contacts and the same firmware. I just don't care anymore; the WF-7610 scanner is working fine and that's all I need...

Old May 27th, 2017 May 27, 2017 5:39:34 PM -   #33 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by api
  • Cleaning the contacts was the first thing I tried. I am an electrical engineer; used professional CRC QD Electronic Cleaner instead of pencil eraser - Didn't help.
  • Then wrote to Richard asking his advice. He just suggested pulling out the cartridge, waiting for 5 minutes and reinstalling it. - Didn't help.
  • When I replied that it didn't work, he never even answered.
  • Then I ordered new sets of cartridges from them. - That didn't help either.
I changed my mind, bought a wide format printer, and it works without issues since then. I also calculated, and even using Sawgrass ink, my costs didn't increase noticeably, because the roll paper is less expensive than the sheets, there are no misprints, discarded cartridges, etc., and above all, no frustration, no lost time, just continuous production. The paper is 275' long, the cartridges are 700 ml each, instead of 4.

By the way, I am way too lazy to try, but I am pretty sure, if I would put the original EPSON cartridges back into my "brick" WF-7610, there would be no "cartridge not recognized" message, with the same contacts and the same firmware. I just don't care anymore; the WF-7610 scanner is working fine and that's all I need...
I'm glad your happy with the Ricoh and Sawgrass, really, but the cleaning, resetting of cartridges have also worked for me. I have the 1430 and the 7110. On one cartridge I replaced the chip and it's been fine since. I did put the original carts in and it worked fine so it had to be the carts in my opinion. It was, and now they are working fine. My firmware has been updated a few times since I started using Cobra inks and carts with no issue other than Epson telling me that I'm not using Epson Ink and do I want to continue...Going forward I may want to disable that update but for now I hit yes and print away. In the end you say you did not put the original carts back in so to be fair you might just have gotten a "bad' printer? .... anyway some like Mercedes some like Chevy..... My Chevy's are fine. Good luck to you.

Old May 27th, 2017 May 27, 2017 6:31:09 PM -   #34 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Thanked 1,145 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by api
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgparrish
Dude, I have 2 13 x 19 printers and many carts, which I rotate in and out. Your math is wacko , and SG desktop inks are 5x as expensive.

First of all, not "Dude", you can call me "api". I am really surprised how aggressive you became...

It is very rare, but also your answer now is way off:

• Cobra ink - $0.25/ml (8 o.z, for $58)
    Sawgrass - $0.47/ml (700 ml SubliJet-E for $330)

0.47/0.25=1.88 (not even 2.2 what I wrote, and definitely not 5x)

I really don't know what happened with you.
Have a nice weekend...
Quote:
Originally Posted by api
Quote:
My larger point is that there is no war or struggle with the firmware, it gives us a non- genuine warning then we proceed. That is unless the after market chip is defective. The only thing one has to concerned with is doing a firmware upgrade after installing the printer. Then sometimes this causes issues. So doing a firmware upgrade should be avoided.
1.) Do you see the total contradiction between the green and the red sentences?

2.) Why should somebody "avoid the firmware update" if there is "no struggle with the firmware"? (For lots of people the EPSON firmware update is set to automatic and just happens for them.) Don't you suspect that a new firmware - what you have to avoid at all costs - is the very reason of the "cart not recognized" error messages, and it is also the part of the "'war" between EPSON and its customers?

3.) How can you be sure that the "cartridge not recognized" message is caused by a wrong contact or a defective chip only? If this would be the case, Richard, from Cobra, could simply send a few new cartridges (with good, tested chips) and the problem would be solved forever. I actually did purchase a few sets of extra cartridges for my WF1100 and WF7610 from him - hoping that the new chips will work - but they didn't. After that, Richard couldn't help at all...

4.) Why do you mix in your post the "non-genuine" warning message with the "cartridge not recognized" message? Everybody knows that the previous can be solved with a few button presses, but the "cartridge not recognized" is an unsolved issue for lots of customers, and even for Cobra.

5.) I have no proof, and I don't care anymore, but it is very logical, that the newer firmware comes with a newer, more sophisticated chip authentication algorithm, and the existing, old, non-genuine aftermarket chips cannot always "deceive" it. That's why people have so many problems with this EPSON desktop sublimation "work around". It's time to acknowledge this possibility and solving it, instead of denying it to the "last ditch"...
You are beyond irrational, Sawgrass does not support any of the Epson printers in discussion. Why should I buy Sawgrass ink that is meant for a large format printer, with no ICC available? FACT Sawgrass inks for DESKTOP PRINTERS are greater than 5X the cost of my inks. For the Ricoh I mention closer to 10x. You can't break my argument using wide format inks that aren't supported on these printers in discussion here. And they sell in quantities way larger than I need? Just plain kook logic. There is no epidemic of chip problems, I have Cobra chips and they work just fine. Same firmware as everyone e. Things can and do go bad. Epson firmware is not the reason for a few isolated chip defects.

Old May 27th, 2017 May 27, 2017 8:38:17 PM -   #35 (permalink)
api
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
You are beyond irrational, Sawgrass does not support any of the Epson printers in discussion. Why should I buy Sawgrass ink that is meant for a large format printer, with no ICC available? FACT Sawgrass inks for DESKTOP PRINTERS are greater than 5X the cost of my inks. For the Ricoh I mention closer to 10x. You can't break my argument using wide format inks that aren't supported on these printers in discussion here. And they sell in quantities way larger than I need? Just plain kook logic. There is no epidemic of chip problems, I have Cobra chips and they work just fine. Same firmware as everyone e. Things can and do go bad. Epson firmware is not the reason for a few isolated chip defects.
OH MY GOD!

The whole discussion is about the option of using a WIDE FORMAT printer instead of a desktop!

In my FIRST post I wrote this to you: "With a wide format printer, you would have 700 ml or 1000 ml cartridges..."

Your endless rants about the expensive Sawgrass desktop inks make no sense whatsoever in this context. For wide format printers, you can use less expensive, wide format inks. Sawgrass fully supports those setups, the ICC profiles are available, and their ink price is 1.8 x Cobra ink price.

So much about MY (!) irrationalizm...

Old May 27th, 2017 May 27, 2017 8:57:18 PM -   #36 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

What part of DESKTOP printers is the discussion here don't you understand? I also find it interesting that an Electrical Engineer didn't IMMEDIATELY substitute a KNOWN GOOD component like the OEM carts into the printer to isolate the problem. Just saying. This faulty business model and "War" with Epson you claim exists I would have thought an Electrical Engineer would be chomping at the bit to get to the root cause but you didn't have the presence of mind to do troubleshooting 101. Really?

Old May 27th, 2017 May 27, 2017 9:00:26 PM -   #37 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Why buy a 5k$ or more wide format printer and liters of ink when you make small format items and your projected ink volumes don't justify? Nutty nutty nutty to me.

Old May 28th, 2017 May 28, 2017 10:05:50 AM -   #38 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: John

This is a pointless argument, since everyone seems happy with their current solution. Mike is correct that many people need an entry level low cost solution and the Epson works great for that, especially for low volume. If your business justifies a large format printer and the numbers work for you, than I can see where that totally makes sense too, in that you also gain performance with the wide format printer. Personally, for dye sub, I only do about 50 mugs a month and the Epson works great for that. For the pigment ink printing, I have the wide format printer and I need it (though it is hard to swallow the ink costs, when you have to buy 8 of those big cartridges at a time). I have been running Cobra cartridges for over a year with very little problems, as have many here. It sounds like @api was a bit unlucky, though.

Old May 28th, 2017 May 28, 2017 10:25:37 AM -   #39 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
This is a pointless argument, since everyone seems happy with their current solution. Mike is correct that many people need an entry level low cost solution and the Epson works great for that, especially for low volume. If your business justifies a large format printer and the numbers work for you, than I can see where that totally makes sense too, in that you also gain performance with the wide format printer. Personally, for dye sub, I only do about 50 mugs a month and the Epson works great for that. For the pigment ink printing, I have the wide format printer and I need it (though it is hard to swallow the ink costs, when you have to buy 8 of those big cartridges at a time). I have been running Cobra cartridges for over a year with very little problems, as have many here. It sounds like @api was a bit unlucky, though.
Thanks. Many in small format are home based and would never sublimate if not for low cost solutions.

Old May 28th, 2017 May 28, 2017 1:05:01 PM -   #40 (permalink)
api
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Let me close this conversation with a quick search here:

• I bought the Epson WF 7110 and Cobra Ink CIS system. They were ideal as I started production, but then the Epson refused to recognize the Cobra CIS. I ended up getting replacement parts from Cobra, but this didn't help.
  • I even bought a new Epson WF 7110, it only worked for a day before refusing to recognize the Cobra CIS.
  • After 3 weeks of struggling with that contraption from Cobra I gave it a heave hoe to my dumpster and went back to making $$$ instead of trying to fix that mickey mouse piece of junk.
  • I have had nothing but issues with my Cobra CIS and WF-7110. Even though the guys are quick to help via text, the issues get overwhelming.
  • I'm wondering how you like your 7610. I have one and it is a pain. It stops every 4th or 5th print and says it doesn't recognize the cartridge.
  • The carts were filled and look primed. So I tied to set it up today and now I have the ''Cartridges not recognized" error.
  • I get that kind of error message each time I refill a cartridge. Is there a 'continue amyway' prompt?
  • I have gotten that error , try to turn off machine with carts out wait 5 minutes install carts then turn machine on
  • I am using the epson wf7110 with the cobra cis system. Out of the box, I got the "Ink cartridge not recognized" which sticks you in a loop that will not allow printing. It took me a month to resolve and then came right back. At the moment it takes me about 20 min of trouble-shooting to print a single page
  • I have the 7110 with the Cobra CIS and when it simply will not recognize the cartridges I just insert the original Epson cartridges.
  • It repeatedly keeps saying blk is not recognized. I've pressed it in with all my might and have tried to get passed this step for the last 3hrs.
  • is my understanding the new Epson printer do not read refillable cartridges or CISS systems and when you try to install the original cartridge back, the printer refuse to accept the cartridges, that happen to a friend of mine
  • I had same problem, can you send me a pic of the cartridge where they contact to the head
  • i have inkjetcarts.us on a new 7610, took awhile but they were finally recognized
  • Hello. I have a new epson wf-7110 and a dye sub CIS (cobra ink) that I just installed, the printer says "cartridges are installed correctly" but then in next step is says: "Cartriges not recognized" and says I need to replace the ink cartridges.
  • This is about a 5 month old 7110 as well. Never had so much trouble as this but consistently over and over it says ink cartridges not recognized.
  • My WF7110 with Cobra CIS has suddenly stopped working. "Cartridges not recognized"
  • Cobra sent new chip, we tried different systems without the external inks, tried all the tricks we heard about, and nothing worked.
  • …the problem still exists, and it is most likely NOT the contacts.
  • UPDATE: RESOLVED Richard from Cobra Ink sent me a replacement combo chip. UPDATE: UNRESOLVED - Giving up on wf7110 and Cobra Ink
  • I suspect that one of the reasons that the 7110/7610 have such a huge problem with recognizing cartridges is that there is some extra bits of wiring that have to go to the chip for the manual reset to function.
  • I do have a problem with the ink cartridges not being recognized.
  • Then, about every other print, I get an alert that says "cartridge cannot be recognized"
  • Everything was working perfectly up until today when the ink light turned on and the status window says the printer cannot recognized the Light Magenta color.
  • I have even uninstalled and re-installed the power driver and chip still not recognized.
  • If you see one or more cartridges grayed out if, that means it's not recognized. If it's not recognized you should contact your ink supplier and have them help you troubleshoot. Replacement cartridges have different ways of "fooling" the printer into thinking it's using an actual Epson ink cart.
  • Had that happen when i ran update on printer. Firmware will not recognize the cartridge. had to get a new printer. now I don't do run update. costly mistake I made after being told not to. I ran all the updates on all my printers and accidentally updated that one. --- Yes, Epson is trying to stay ahead of the aftermarket.
  • When I press the ink button nothing happens and when I check the ink levels through the printer software it says that the ink cartridges cannot be recognized. I called the person who sold me the system and he had me make sure the cartridges were pushed all the way in which still didn't work and other then that he's as lost as me.
  • Just bought a 7520, immediately had issues not recognizing the cobra cartridges. The problem seems to go away until I print in high volume, then every 1-2 pages printed it will say the YELLOW and occasionally the MAGENTA cartridges cant be recognized.
  • I'm curious to see who else has the issues I do with my two Epson 7010 printers. The "fix" may be a driver or firmware update, but I'm cautious about applying one, given the rumor that Epson has changed the code sequence for the cartridge reset, and if the driver/firmware is updated, the CISS cartridges used with the printers will no longer be recognized.
  • I bought the workforce 1100 and the magic flow CIS and to be honestI am pulling my hair out. After about 6 hours i finally got it to print, but had lines. Fixed that problem went back to try ancd print and now ink is not recognized and prime light stays on even after following all troubleshooting.

Old May 28th, 2017 May 28, 2017 2:43:53 PM -   #41 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by api
Let me close this conversation with a quick search here:

• I bought the Epson WF 7110 and Cobra Ink CIS system. They were ideal as I started production, but then the Epson refused to recognize the Cobra CIS. I ended up getting replacement parts from Cobra, but this didn't help.
  • I even bought a new Epson WF 7110, it only worked for a day before refusing to recognize the Cobra CIS.
  • After 3 weeks of struggling with that contraption from Cobra I gave it a heave hoe to my dumpster and went back to making $$$ instead of trying to fix that mickey mouse piece of junk.
  • I have had nothing but issues with my Cobra CIS and WF-7110. Even though the guys are quick to help via text, the issues get overwhelming.
  • I'm wondering how you like your 7610. I have one and it is a pain. It stops every 4th or 5th print and says it doesn't recognize the cartridge.
  • The carts were filled and look primed. So I tied to set it up today and now I have the ''Cartridges not recognized" error.
  • I get that kind of error message each time I refill a cartridge. Is there a 'continue amyway' prompt?
  • I have gotten that error , try to turn off machine with carts out wait 5 minutes install carts then turn machine on
  • I am using the epson wf7110 with the cobra cis system. Out of the box, I got the "Ink cartridge not recognized" which sticks you in a loop that will not allow printing. It took me a month to resolve and then came right back. At the moment it takes me about 20 min of trouble-shooting to print a single page
  • I have the 7110 with the Cobra CIS and when it simply will not recognize the cartridges I just insert the original Epson cartridges.
  • It repeatedly keeps saying blk is not recognized. I've pressed it in with all my might and have tried to get passed this step for the last 3hrs.
  • is my understanding the new Epson printer do not read refillable cartridges or CISS systems and when you try to install the original cartridge back, the printer refuse to accept the cartridges, that happen to a friend of mine
  • I had same problem, can you send me a pic of the cartridge where they contact to the head
  • i have inkjetcarts.us on a new 7610, took awhile but they were finally recognized
  • Hello. I have a new epson wf-7110 and a dye sub CIS (cobra ink) that I just installed, the printer says "cartridges are installed correctly" but then in next step is says: "Cartriges not recognized" and says I need to replace the ink cartridges.
  • This is about a 5 month old 7110 as well. Never had so much trouble as this but consistently over and over it says ink cartridges not recognized.
  • My WF7110 with Cobra CIS has suddenly stopped working. "Cartridges not recognized"
  • Cobra sent new chip, we tried different systems without the external inks, tried all the tricks we heard about, and nothing worked.
  • …the problem still exists, and it is most likely NOT the contacts.
  • UPDATE: RESOLVED Richard from Cobra Ink sent me a replacement combo chip. UPDATE: UNRESOLVED - Giving up on wf7110 and Cobra Ink
  • I suspect that one of the reasons that the 7110/7610 have such a huge problem with recognizing cartridges is that there is some extra bits of wiring that have to go to the chip for the manual reset to function.
  • I do have a problem with the ink cartridges not being recognized.
  • Then, about every other print, I get an alert that says "cartridge cannot be recognized"
  • Everything was working perfectly up until today when the ink light turned on and the status window says the printer cannot recognized the Light Magenta color.
  • I have even uninstalled and re-installed the power driver and chip still not recognized.
  • If you see one or more cartridges grayed out if, that means it's not recognized. If it's not recognized you should contact your ink supplier and have them help you troubleshoot. Replacement cartridges have different ways of "fooling" the printer into thinking it's using an actual Epson ink cart.
  • Had that happen when i ran update on printer. Firmware will not recognize the cartridge. had to get a new printer. now I don't do run update. costly mistake I made after being told not to. I ran all the updates on all my printers and accidentally updated that one. --- Yes, Epson is trying to stay ahead of the aftermarket.
  • When I press the ink button nothing happens and when I check the ink levels through the printer software it says that the ink cartridges cannot be recognized. I called the person who sold me the system and he had me make sure the cartridges were pushed all the way in which still didn't work and other then that he's as lost as me.
  • Just bought a 7520, immediately had issues not recognizing the cobra cartridges. The problem seems to go away until I print in high volume, then every 1-2 pages printed it will say the YELLOW and occasionally the MAGENTA cartridges cant be recognized.
  • I'm curious to see who else has the issues I do with my two Epson 7010 printers. The "fix" may be a driver or firmware update, but I'm cautious about applying one, given the rumor that Epson has changed the code sequence for the cartridge reset, and if the driver/firmware is updated, the CISS cartridges used with the printers will no longer be recognized.
  • I bought the workforce 1100 and the magic flow CIS and to be honestI am pulling my hair out. After about 6 hours i finally got it to print, but had lines. Fixed that problem went back to try ancd print and now ink is not recognized and prime light stays on even after following all troubleshooting.
Sorry but this post does NOT close the conversation...you just opened it up to more...I won't do a useless cut and paste of a bunch of threads..half of the 31 you posted were just "me too" responses. . . . I did a search on Ricoh sublimation print problems and found a fair share of them as well. . . .as well as another forum that specifically targets sawgrass and Ricoh problems....both printers and systems have their own issues and I'm sure (as pointed out here) people have their favorites and beliefs. As I look at the posts that you presented us here and the ones I read on the Ricoh issues I refer back to my earlier post on this topic.....at least 80% of all the problems presented were from "Operator Head Space" issues. I admit at first I had my share of them but once your learn your system these issues tend to disappear like magic....really, so I close with I love my Epsons even with all the quirks and problems everyone else seems to spew about them....I love the cobra Inks even with their little quirks that pop up now and again though manageable. Bottom line, I take really good money to the bank because of these products and will stick with them. The Sawgrass Ricoh brands are just to much of a expensive alternative and there are other things I do not like about their systems that I won't go into for now. . .In disclosure I did go to one of their seminars at a local distributor and was not impressed at all...only their inks -only their printers only their this and that....blah blah blah. . . .they lost potential customers actually only 2 people bought into it out of 30 attendees.
The rest of us do Epson......
into the T likes this.

Old May 28th, 2017 May 28, 2017 2:58:36 PM -   #42 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by api
Just thinking:

• If you can save $300/month using Cobra ink, you have to spend at least $250/month on Cobra ink (or $550/month SC) because SC ink is appr. 2.2 times as expensive as Cobra.
  • $250/month of Cobra ink is appr. 1.2 liter/month = 1200 ml/month.
  • If one image needs e.g. 1 ml (1 cc) of ink, you have to print 1200 images/month.
  • If you have 4 refillable cartridges in your EPSON printer, you have 3 standard (4 ml) and 1 XL (10 ml) cartridge. That is 22 ml ink altogether.
  • If you have to print 1200 ml ink per month, you have to refill your cartridges at least 1200/22=54 times/month.
  • If you sell 1200 images/month for e.g.: $4 profit/image, you make more than $4.8K/month = $57.6K/year.
  • With the $300/month saving on ink, you save $3600/year.
For this saving, you are using a desktop EPSON printer and refilling your cartridges 54 times/month...

Am I misunderstanding something?

With a wide format printer, you would have 700 ml or 1000 ml cartridges, that is 2.8-4 liter/printer, so you would have to touch the cartridges max. 4 times/year (!). You could use cheaper roll paper, you could have built in paper cutter, you could print larger images than 13"x19", etc.. For less than 10% of your 1-year profit, you could have the wide format printer and - if you'd still want to save extra on ink - you could still start messing with refillable cartridges and using other than SC ink.

I am not selling wide format printers!

Just thinking...
This thread is NOT about wide format printers in the sense you talk about....not apples and apples. A desktop wide format and a 24-36 inch (or larger) plotter is a completely different animal. ....the OP's questions are about the Epson WF7110. Any time you buy bulk ink it will be a little cheaper.

Old May 28th, 2017 May 28, 2017 3:46:47 PM -   #43 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I usually find when people can't form a coherent argument they resort to personal attacks and name calling. I only responded back to your nonsense argument to my ink prices. Let's be clear here, I went after what you said and not a personal attack.

The topic and context of this thread is "Epson WF7110 - Need CIS system or Cartridges that work reliably (or an alternative comparable system)!"

My statement, which you failed to debunk, was specific to ink prices ON THE DESKTOP since that is the context of this thread.

So using some crazy logic you argued against my statement by completely changing the context of it.

Real simple, let's start the discussion about buying 2 brands of pickup trucks. I only need a pickup truck to pick up stuff for my house from Home Depot. As we are discussing the 2 different brand of pickup trucks operating economies, and I make a comparison to 2 pickup truck brands you come in and argue about my cost statements by comparing it to a Semi Rig costing 10 times as much and used for a much larger payload.

I would be a moron to buy a semi Rig just to haul a few items from Home Depot home don't you think. The vast majority of small format users here just need the "pick up truck".

And you call me "Sick" and "Wooden Headed"

You then throw in a false scenario about how it wasn't possible to save that $300 a month based on some TOTAL CRAP

"If you can save $300/month using Cobra ink, you have to spend at least $250/month on Cobra ink (or $550/month SC) because SC ink is appr. 2.2 times as expensive as Cobra.
$250/month of Cobra ink is appr. 1.2 liter/month = 1200 ml/month.
If one image needs e.g. 1 ml (1 cc) of ink, you have to print 1200 images/month.
If you have 4 refillable cartridges in your EPSON printer, you have 3 standard (4 ml) and 1 XL (10 ml) cartridge. That is 22 ml ink altogether.
If you have to print 1200 ml ink per month, you have to refill your cartridges at least 1200/22=54 times/month.
If you sell 1200 images/month for e.g.: $4 profit/image, you make more than $4.8K/month = $57.6K/year.
With the $300/month saving on ink, you save $3600/year.
For this saving, you are using a desktop EPSON printer and refilling your cartridges 54 times/month... "

I will state the error of this in 2 ways.

1. My statement and the context of this thread is small format, you threw in wide format parameters even though I don't have a wide format sublimation printer. So this is some dreamed up load of horse dung.

2. It's so simple my grandson in grade school can figure this out.

I go to the grocery and I need milk. I can buy 2 different brands of milk, Cobra brand milk is $1 a gallon, Sawgrass brand milk is $10 a gallon. I buy the cheaper milk at $1 a gallon, and I proclaim that I saved $9.

So in this scenario you would twist it around so that I would have to buy 10 gallons of milk at Cobra's price totaling $10 AND I would be need to consume all that to save the $9 savings I was referring to. Duh I only needed 1 gallon in the first place and that is all I bought.

That is effectively your argument about the ink.

Last edited by splathead; May 28th, 2017 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: Removed quoted text from a deleted post.

Old May 28th, 2017 May 28, 2017 4:10:03 PM -   #44 (permalink)
api
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Graphics
Sorry but this post does NOT close the conversation...you just opened it up to more...I won't do a useless cut and paste of a bunch of threads..half of the 31 you posted were just "me too" responses. . . . I did a search on Ricoh sublimation print problems and found a fair share of them as well. . . .as well as another forum that specifically targets sawgrass and Ricoh problems....both printers and systems have their own issues and I'm sure (as pointed out here) people have their favorites and beliefs. As I look at the posts that you presented us here and the ones I read on the Ricoh issues I refer back to my earlier post on this topic.....at least 80% of all the problems presented were from "Operator Head Space" issues. I admit at first I had my share of them but once your learn your system these issues tend to disappear like magic....really, so I close with I love my Epsons even with all the quirks and problems everyone else seems to spew about them....I love the cobra Inks even with their little quirks that pop up now and again though manageable. Bottom line, I take really good money to the bank because of these products and will stick with them. The Sawgrass Ricoh brands are just to much of a expensive alternative and there are other things I do not like about their systems that I won't go into for now. . .In disclosure I did go to one of their seminars at a local distributor and was not impressed at all...only their inks -only their printers only their this and that....blah blah blah. . . .they lost potential customers actually only 2 people bought into it out of 30 attendees.
The rest of us do Epson......
My exact (and only) point was (answering to the notion that "api was a bit unlucky") that there are a lot of "mee too" responses. Thanks for pointing that out for everybody. So it wasn't a useless cut and paste; it painted a certain picture about the meaning of "bit unlucky" in this subject matter (unrecognized cartridges).

I never mentioned Ricoh, I don't have one, I will never have one. The whole Ricoh-Sawgrass theme is a side-track. As you wrote: "The rest of us do Epson......" Mee too. (and I also do Roland and Brother and HP)

Old May 28th, 2017 May 28, 2017 5:46:59 PM -   #45 (permalink)
api
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
I usually find when people can't form a coherent argument they resort to personal attacks and name calling. I only responded back to your nonsense argument to my ink prices. Let's be clear here, I went after what you said and not a personal attack.

The topic and context of this thread is "Epson WF7110 - Need CIS system or Cartridges that work reliably (or an alternative comparable system)!"

My statement, which you failed to debunk, was specific to ink prices ON THE DESKTOP since that is the context of this thread.

So using some crazy logic you argued against my statement by completely changing the context of it.

Real simple, let's start the discussion about buying 2 brands of pickup trucks. I only need a pickup truck to pick up stuff for my house from Home Depot. As we are discussing the 2 different brand of pickup trucks operating economies, and I make a comparison to 2 pickup truck brands you come in and argue about my cost statements by comparing it to a Semi Rig costing 10 times as much and used for a much larger payload.

I would be a moron to buy a semi Rig just to haul a few items from Home Depot home don't you think. The vast majority of small format users here just need the "pick up truck".

You then throw in a false scenario about how it wasn't possible to save that $300 a month based on some TOTAL CRAP

"If you can save $300/month using Cobra ink, you have to spend at least $250/month on Cobra ink (or $550/month SC) because SC ink is appr. 2.2 times as expensive as Cobra.
$250/month of Cobra ink is appr. 1.2 liter/month = 1200 ml/month.
If one image needs e.g. 1 ml (1 cc) of ink, you have to print 1200 images/month.
If you have 4 refillable cartridges in your EPSON printer, you have 3 standard (4 ml) and 1 XL (10 ml) cartridge. That is 22 ml ink altogether.
If you have to print 1200 ml ink per month, you have to refill your cartridges at least 1200/22=54 times/month.
If you sell 1200 images/month for e.g.: $4 profit/image, you make more than $4.8K/month = $57.6K/year.
With the $300/month saving on ink, you save $3600/year.
For this saving, you are using a desktop EPSON printer and refilling your cartridges 54 times/month... "

I will state the error of this in 2 ways.

1. My statement and the context of this thread is small format, you threw in wide format parameters even though I don't have a wide format sublimation printer. So this is some dreamed up load of horse dung.

2. It's so simple my grandson in grade school can figure this out.

I go to the grocery and I need milk. I can buy 2 different brands of milk, Cobra brand milk is $1 a gallon, Sawgrass brand milk is $10 a gallon. I buy the cheaper milk at $1 a gallon, and I proclaim that I saved $9.

So in this scenario you would twist it around so that I would have to buy 10 gallons of milk at Cobra's price totaling $10 AND I would be need to consume all that to save the $9 savings I was referring to. Duh I only needed 1 gallon in the first place and that is all I bought.

That is effectively your argument about the ink.

OK. Let's push the reset button!

Stop attacking my point, try to understand it instead:

1.) If you can "easily" save "at least" $300/month on ink, you save "easily at least" $3600/year. Right?

2.) $3600/year saving suggests that you have to use at least $3600 worth of ink, and you get it for free, or - more realistically - you buy at least (I don't know) $5K-$6K worth of ink per year, or even more. Right?

3.) $5K-$6K ink is a large amount of ink. From Cobra, you can get 100 bottles 8 o.z. = 800 o.z = 23658 ml = 23 liter (!) ink for $5.800. Right?

4.) Even $3600/year buys 14668 ml - 14 liter (!) ink. Right?

5.) With 23 or even 14 liter/year ink usage, we are way inside the LARGE FORMAT printer territory, especially if you count the number of refills you need to do with the desktop's 4 ml cartridges. Right?

That's why - logically - I started mentioning the large format printers to you. "Just thinking..."

Even your FIRST WORD (!) in your answer was already derogatory: "Dude... ...your math is wacko, bla, bla, bla."

6.) The title of the thread is: "Epson WF7110 - Need CIS system or Cartridges that work reliably (or an alternative comparable system)!"

7.) My point WAS and my point IS that if somebody uses sublimation ink BY THE LITRE, and wants a "reliable and alternative comparable system" it worth at least looking into the WIDE FORMAT territory. It can be more reliable, comparable, and from a lot of point of view even much-much better solution.

8.) True, the OP didn't mention the ink quantity he needs, but - in an indirect way -
you definitely did, and I wrote to you.

9.)
My whole excursus is false if you are not using "easily" "at least" 14 liter (free) (Cobra) ink/year. (Remember: 14 liter would cost your $3600 "savings" only.)

10.) If you are using much-much less, and your small "pick up truck" methafor was totally valid, than you made a mistake when you stated the $300 savings/month. It happens, but in this case your math was waco.

11.) Alternatively, my excursus is also false if you are talking about some extreme price reference. In that case however the reference itself is false, because there are more realistic options to use for the calculation of the savings. You are using the Sawgrass SubliJet-R (Ricoh) ink as a reference, but if you want to correctly compare it with a 13"x19" EPSON system, you must have to buy first a 13"x19" Ricoh SG800 printer with a bypass tray for over $2000. Why would we use the most expensive Ricoh desktop printer with a really ripoff Sawgrass ink price as a reference for our calculations of the savings? It just makes no sense to me...

All in all: I am NOT saying that a cheap printer + cheap ink is a totally bad solution, what I am saying is that it has very serious limitations, and IF the yearly used ink quantity - and other circumstances - allow that, it makes a lot of sense to step up to a WIDE FORMAT system. Your stated monthly savings suggested that you are close to that level (unless you made a mistake or used an extreme reference).

If you don't mind, from my side, the case is closed. It is the Memorial day weekend....

Last edited by api; May 28th, 2017 at 07:04 PM..

This is a discussion about Epson WF7110 - Need CIS system or Cartridges that work reliably (or an alternative comparable system)! that was posted in the Dye Sublimation section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in