T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Dye Sublimation

Dye Sublimation Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of dye sublimation printing: printer selection, press time, durability, new technologies, etc.

World papers 100% cotton dye sublimation paper

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Sacman
  • 2 Post By ZO6 KLR
  • 1 Post By mgparrish
  • 3 Post By Dekzion
  • 1 Post By STPG Press

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 3rd, 2016 Jun 3, 2016 5:30:46 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default World papers 100% cotton dye sublimation paper

Does anybody know anything about "world of papers" yellow line for dye sublimation to 100% cotton t-shirts? Their Ebay listing shows for the both whites and darks hundred percent cotton. Has anybody ever tried it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2016 Jun 3, 2016 5:59:37 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Thanked 2,502 Times in 2,220 Posts

Default Re: World papers 100% cotton dye sublimation paper

Post the link.

Old June 3rd, 2016 Jun 3, 2016 12:32:45 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Wade
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Reading from different sources, I have seen people have a lot more success with this than with Reveal S.

Old June 3rd, 2016 Jun 3, 2016 2:42:17 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Mark

It is not true sublimation. Yet another attempt to sublimate on cotton.

Old June 3rd, 2016 Jun 3, 2016 2:55:33 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 KLR
It is not true sublimation. Yet another attempt to sublimate on cotton.
Arguably it is as much sublimation as almost anything we do. Sublimation as we consider it by paraphrased definition is the bonding of the ink to the polyester substrate under high heat and pressure. I know that is short and sweet but it makes my point for me.

If you go to Walmart and buy a mug, can you sublimate it? Nope.

If you go to your local metal supplier and buy a nice sheet of aluminum and have it powder coated a nice shiny white, can you sublimate it? Nope.

If you buy anything that is not polyester, can you sublimate it? Nope.

So the effort to sublimate to cotton currently takes two forms. One is the Reveal S method which coats a piece of plastic with a ... wait for it ... polyester emulsion which is released where it is in contact with sublimation ink under what? High heat and pressure. The other method essentially does the same thing but with a polyester powder being applied after the print and before the press.

My point is that everything we sublimate to aside from actual polyester fabric requires some sort of treatment this is absolutely no different except that the treatment is being done during the process instead of before.

I get that this is the T-shirt forums but not everyone on here only does t-shirts. Many do solid surfaces and this is a great source of information for all things sublimation so don't discount those that do.

Not trying to be rude Mark, you offer a lot of valuable insight on these forums but that one was not well thought out.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sacman For This Useful Post:
LJC6780 (February 2nd, 2018)
Old June 3rd, 2016 Jun 3, 2016 3:19:27 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Mark

Wade, I understand what you are saying and I made a knee jerk reaction. Let me be more informative.

For people to come on to the t shirt forums and see this topic it can be very misleading. I guess if we were splitting hairs, then yes, it is sublimation to a carrier, film or substrate of sorts. What I was referring to was the true characteristics of sublimation to synthetic fabrics and the qualities one looks for with the sublimation process. No hand, virtually unlimited color gamut and longevity compared to films, powders or whatever voodoo is being peddled as "sublimation".

I would say that this is more of a transfer process using sublimation inks to a cotton fabric and still not the true definition of what we know as sublimation. We all know cotton cannot be sublimated. Well, you can, just not with the desired results. But you CAN sublimate a film that is applied to the cotton. This really isn't any different than your basic transfer method using blue or red grid transfer paper.

I don't want people being misled and misinformed when it comes to dyesub onto fabrics. These two comparisons are totally different from each other.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZO6 KLR For This Useful Post:
LJC6780 (February 2nd, 2018), skdave (June 6th, 2016)
Old June 3rd, 2016 Jun 3, 2016 6:11:05 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Absolutely fair assessment and I get your point.

Old June 3rd, 2016 Jun 3, 2016 6:18:06 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thank you Mark and Wade, I'm pretty new to the sublimation game and I've read posts from both of you and I know that you both know a lot more than I do and I want to thank you for what I've learned from you and your posts.
Yes I get your point about true sublimation. And I do agree that yours is the most accurate. And here's the link to what I found on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/321385110580
I was just trying to be helpful because everybody seems to think that Conde is the only one that has a workaround for cotton t-shirts. And I was wondering if anybody else had tried this if so how well did it work?
I also ordered a sample pack from dye press. Because I'm looking to sublimate on some items that nobody around here is offering.
There was also this item offered on eBay called polleyfog. http://www.ebay.com/itm/231913931141
Has anybody here tried it?

Last edited by jestjoking69; June 3rd, 2016 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: More thought-out reasoning

Old June 6th, 2016 Jun 6, 2016 9:07:44 AM -   #9 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Thanked 1,145 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestjoking69
Thank you Mark and Wade, I'm pretty new to the sublimation game and I've read posts from both of you and I know that you both know a lot more than I do and I want to thank you for what I've learned from you and your posts.
Yes I get your point about true sublimation. And I do agree that yours is the most accurate. And here's the link to what I found on eBay Sublimation Printing on Cotton T Shirts Light Fabric Heat Press 11x17 25 Sheets | eBay
I was just trying to be helpful because everybody seems to think that Conde is the only one that has a workaround for cotton t-shirts. And I was wondering if anybody else had tried this if so how well did it work?
I also ordered a sample pack from dye press. Because I'm looking to sublimate on some items that nobody around here is offering.
There was also this item offered on eBay called polleyfog. Sublimation Coating for Cotton Fabric Polyfog for Fabric | eBay
Has anybody here tried it?
But the Conde product you are talking about is not the same as other "solutions" out there.

The "workaround" for "sublimating to cotton" has always been out there. This even goes back to the late 80's.

You will either coat the cotton t-shirt with a polymer chemical, typically a liguid, then let it dry, or you will transfer a clear polymer "sticker" transfer.

These "stickers" can even be conventional t-shirt transfers that are just printed with either sub ink or sub toner. The most common term for this is called "prepping".

Now having said all that, what Conde is offering is different. When one is doing conventional "prepping" as I described above you lose the real advantages of sublimation, no hand and no outline "box". The prep material leaves it's artifacts behind, some more so than others.

What Conde is offering is claimed to be weedfree, that means there is hand only in the design area and no "box" in the un-printed areas.

I'm not commenting on what Conde is offering as I haven't tried it, but the conventional "prepping" only gives you the same thing a regular inkjet or laser transfer does using standard inks/toners. A transfer with a box effect and hand. On white using some transfer papers like JPSS or "Ironall for lights" you won't see the box or feel the transfer on a white t-shirt after the first wash.

So with these 2 conventional papers sublimation "prepping" makes no sense to me unless it is "weedfree" and you use it on non-white t-shirts.

Either "prepping" or using a conventional inkjet/laser transfer you are going to see the "box" on a light color other than white.

Currently the only good weed-free paper that is wash durable enough is ImageClip for laser light. Conde's new Reveal paper might be a good competitor to the product, just need to watch how it evolves.
Dekzion likes this.

Old June 6th, 2016 Jun 6, 2016 2:01:46 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thank you that makes a lot of sense

Old June 6th, 2016 Jun 6, 2016 10:42:36 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Derek
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

The ebay listing is just another ruse, I like how they say it's okay with a hand iron and then that it must be used with a heatpress!
It's only for lights anyway and dearer than subli-cotton which uses the very process that mike says is true, applying a polyester powder after printing, and the key factor is ? Light Only.
They are advertising the sublimation on dark not with their own super brand of new paper, but 3G opaque, so no change there.
One day,, one day,, we are going to have a polyester based White toner that can go through any laser printer that can be printed over an image of dye-sub ink! this is going to completely be a game changer. Now where did I put my chemistry set.

Last edited by Dekzion; June 6th, 2016 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: extension

Old June 7th, 2016 Jun 7, 2016 10:39:05 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can borrow my chemistry set haven't used it since I was 5 LOL there's some things in it that they don't sell anymore

Old January 23rd, 2018 Jan 23, 2018 11:16:28 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Does anyone know if the 100% cotton dye sub paper is available in rolls for large format dye sub printers?
Does this paper work similar to the traditional dye sub transfer paper or what is the "technology" behind this to allow it to work?

I look forward to any feedback.

Old March 20th, 2018 Mar 20, 2018 5:49:33 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Tim
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmulateGlobal
Does anyone know if the 100% cotton dye sub paper is available in rolls for large format dye sub printers?
Does this paper work similar to the traditional dye sub transfer paper or what is the "technology" behind this to allow it to work?

I look forward to any feedback.
Dye Sublimation onto cotton fabric... (I'm going to say this slow)... does. not. exist.

If you have to add a poly film to the top of a cotton garment and you press onto that poly film an image with sublimation inks, what you have done is press a poly transfer on top of a cotton garment; just as if you had used any kind of transfer paper.
NoXid likes this.

This is a discussion about World papers 100% cotton dye sublimation paper that was posted in the Dye Sublimation section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in