T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Dye Sublimation

Dye Sublimation Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of dye sublimation printing: printer selection, press time, durability, new technologies, etc.

Does dye sublimation *have* to be on the polyester style tees?

Like Tree2Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 1st, 2005 Apr 1, 2005 7:19:37 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Default Does dye sublimation *have* to be on the polyester style tees?

I noticed a lot of dye sublimated t-shirts are printed on t-shirts with a polyester type outside layer (or microfiber layer).

Can dye sublimation be done on regular 100% cotton t-shirts or 50/50 t-shirts, or does it have to be on that special type of tee?
gravel and forwill like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2005 Apr 1, 2005 8:36:53 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Adam
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default Re: Does dye sublimation *have* to be on the polyester style tees?

When dye sublimating, polyester t-shirts must be used because the dye bonds with the fibres in the polyester when heat is applied.

They make special t-shirts for this. Novachrome, and Xpres supply a good t-shirt. There is also the Hanes Soft L'ink but I don't really like these as much. I like the Novachrome Unisex White T-Shirt. Xpres make a great womens t-shirt, really nice plus the children's tees are great.

You can use 50/50 t-shirts but they aren't going to give the same results as you would get with a 100% poly tee because more dye is able to bond with the fibres.

There are sprays you can buy to spray onto the 50/50s so that the dye bonds. This will allow source more types of t-shirts, because waiting for the sublimation industry to produce different varietys of t-shirts is a long process. I've heard you can infact use a unscented hair spray instead of buying the spray.

Adam

Last edited by Adam; April 1st, 2005 at 11:40 AM..

Old April 25th, 2005 Apr 25, 2005 1:11:15 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Fred
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Hi Rodney,

Sublimation ink heat transfers work best on man made fiber such as polyester, nylon, satin, lycra, etc... It does not work on natural fibers such as cotton, wool, canvas, etc... When the sub transfer is heat pressed, it will show on any material (cotton, poly, canvas, lycra...), HOWEVER, if the heat transfer is on any man made fabric (cotton as an example), the image will wash out after the first and definately the second washing. It only works on man made fibers.

Currently there are some suppliers that do offer the poly/cotton garments where the poly fabric is on the outside of the garment and the cotton is on the inside. These shirts are a bit pricey...about $4.50+ for a white t-shirt. Many years ago, Xpres in NC sold a 65/35 blend t-shirts but felt very uncomfortable...$3.50 each.

For the commercial market (contractors, electricians, etc...) you can use 50/50 shirts with sub transfers but for years, I spray down a light mist of White Rain Unscented Hair Spray onto the shirt, place the sub transfer on it and then heat press as usual. The hair spray just gives the 50/50 material a little "extra" so the image will last longer. Eventually, the sub ink image will wash out of the cotton portion of the shirt, but not on the polyester fabric. Your image may look a little faded or washed out over time. I do NOT use 50/50 blend and sub transfers for my wholesaling. For 100% cotton, canvas, 50/50, etc... I use pigmented heat transfers. These transfers are made for 100% and other fabrics.

I tried the prep sprays and having miserable results with them years ago, now use the White Rain only. Mind you, this is ONLY for the commercial market. Do not use sub on 50/50 shirts for your onesie's or any retail type trade.

Hope this helped a bit.

Fred
http://www.uscolorprint.com

The Following User Says Thank You to toonsign For This Useful Post:
TShirtLady.BIZ (October 21st, 2008)

Old October 3rd, 2006 Oct 3, 2006 2:53:02 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: D.J.

Has any one ever tried using SofTee as a pretreatment sheet on a 50/50 or cotton shirt then applying the dye sub over that. I've read a number of places where you could do that as a two step process, but I've never heard how well it holds up (except from the people selling it). Supposedly, it applys a synthetic layer to the shirt that the dye sub can bond to.

Also worth note is that laser dye sub is supposed to work with 50/50 and cotton because the clc paper they use has the synthetic coating. According to what I've read, we can use the same sheets with inkjet dye sub in a two step process. Any one have any experience with any of this? Does it actually work and hold up with washing?

Does laser dye sub on 50/50 work better than ink jet? I know it's a bigger investment to get into, but it it works then I think it might be worth it.

Old October 3rd, 2006 Oct 3, 2006 5:46:43 AM -   #5 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,073 Posts

We tried using blank CLC pressed at 10 seconds and then the dye sub. This was on a grey 50/50 shirt. We didn't care for the results but the image was better. What we didn't like is the 'stain' from the CLC paper.

Old October 4th, 2006 Oct 4, 2006 5:28:10 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

I have an oki 5200 that i use for laser dye sub.
To print to 50/50 shirts with the dye sub toner I use Hottee Paper from ati transfers . It works great.. and it does not wash out.. If it is a logo or sumthing with bare areas aound it.. i do cut 1/4 to 1/8 inch around so that the polyester from the transfer paper does not leave a window.. It has little or no hand. When using other color Shirts besides white i can also use the regular release paper made for the dye sub laser and cotton trans spray.. This also holds up very well.. with little or no hand. I have found the washablity and colors on both of these to be great..

Old December 27th, 2006 Dec 27, 2006 8:52:38 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystysue
I have an oki 5200 that i use for laser dye sub.
To print to 50/50 shirts with the dye sub toner I use Hottee Paper from ati transfers . It works great.. and it does not wash out.. If it is a logo or sumthing with bare areas aound it.. i do cut 1/4 to 1/8 inch around so that the polyester from the transfer paper does not leave a window.. It has little or no hand. When using other color Shirts besides white i can also use the regular release paper made for the dye sub laser and cotton trans spray.. This also holds up very well.. with little or no hand. I have found the washablity and colors on both of these to be great..
Hi, I have the same setup, but so far I'm not at all happy with the results.
I keep getting the grey window on whites. how many seconds and what
pressure do you use? what cotton trans spray-where do you get it?
I got some white stuff in a bottle from Al, for use with release paper. so far made things worse. In fact the release paper worked best without it.
thanks for your help. I'm using 50/50 white t-s.
jimmy

Old December 28th, 2006 Dec 28, 2006 5:31:26 AM -   #8 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: David
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

I would think that using transfer papers and synthetic substrates to allow application to 50/50 or 100% cotton shirts defeats the purpose of dye-sub. You might as well just use durabrite inks and the standard transfer papers....probably less expensive than dye-sub. The beauty of dye-sub printing is the transfer of only the ink to the shirt, no paper to trim, no paper actually transfers.

I would like to see a 50/50 shirt that has been dye-sub printed and washed a few times. I am wondering if it would give a vintage faded looking effect? A look similar to say water based printing inks or that discharge technique.

The Following User Says Thank You to MotoskinGraphix For This Useful Post:
looknostyle (July 5th, 2008)
Old January 2nd, 2007 Jan 2, 2007 7:27:41 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Alex

Hi David, I have tested dye sub on 50/50's. It has a faded vintage look. The reason obviously is that the ink is ony adhering to the 50% polyester of the shirt. It does adhere to the cotton but gets washed out or fades fairly quickly after a few washes. But for a quick vintage look it is not all that bad. If it designed properly with some distressed scratches and such and use those new distressed T's it might be a big seller.

I use an Epson 4000 with Artainium UV+ inks.

Alex

Old January 3rd, 2007 Jan 3, 2007 5:51:13 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Ron

I have a couple customers that are doing exactly that!! As you stated, the graphic needs to have some inclusions to give it the distressed look, otherwise it is just faded.

Old January 4th, 2007 Jan 4, 2007 12:25:49 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Tania
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I agree with Ron - unless you deliberately create your graphics with distressed feel, the design on 50/50 will look washed out and poor quality rather than vintage (my humble opinion).
When printing full colour graphics I think it's better to stick with higher % of polyester.
I have posted some pictures to compare on this thread:
https://www.t-shirtforums.com/need-he...irt/t4773.html

Old January 15th, 2007 Jan 15, 2007 6:41:19 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Jay

How does Cafe Press do it? They are dye-sub right? but they advertise their some of their shirts as

"Our 100% cotton, women's long sleeve tee is preshrunk, durable and guaranteed. Constructed of mid-weight jersey, it's just the right weight for layering. Side seamed construction provides a perfect shape, for a contoured but loose fit."

What's up with that?

Old January 15th, 2007 Jan 15, 2007 6:59:32 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Alex

I think CP uses many different applications, but mainly DTG for shirts. Does any anyone know for sure?

Alex

Old January 15th, 2007 Jan 15, 2007 7:17:17 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

CP are not dye sub (for their t-shirts anyway - they might be for other items). They started with digital inkjet transfers, they now also offer DTG in addition to the transfers.

Old January 15th, 2007 Jan 15, 2007 7:30:26 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Jay

ic.. I was wondering.. cuz most of their shirts are white... I know they offer black.. but it looked mainly white.

This is a discussion about Does dye sublimation *have* to be on the polyester style tees? that was posted in the Dye Sublimation section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in