Does dye sublimation *have* to be on the polyester style tees? - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Dye Sublimation

Dye Sublimation Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of dye sublimation printing: printer selection, press time, durability, new technologies, etc.

Does dye sublimation *have* to be on the polyester style tees?

Like Tree2Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 24th, 2007 Feb 24, 2007 9:15:56 PM -   #31 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rusty
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Does dye sublimation *have* to be on the polyester style tees?

I haven't seen one in person. I was just going by their own website where Chromablast says it has a "soft hand". So that's good news. I also wonder about the white area around the design. It says it washes out after the first wash. But you usually do not wash a shirt before giving it to the customer. I wonder if this will cause concern for some customers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2007 Feb 25, 2007 6:38:05 AM -   #32 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Jay

Check this out ChromaBlast especially if you're in Canada. I'd really love to hear from someone who has used this system. It sounds interesting but kinda expensive... $100 for 100 sheets! With dye-sub you can do other things.. mugs and stuff, but, this does cotton shirts which I really like... hmmm pros and cons I guess.

Old February 27th, 2007 Feb 27, 2007 6:55:37 PM -   #33 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Studios
My son has a Red Hot Chilli Peppers T-Shirt with a two color design on the front... It says it's 100% cotton on the tag. There is NO hand or very very very little... It is a white shirt... ???? any ideas as to what this is? Maybe the ink T-Bot was speaking of?
screen printing regular plastisol inks on a white t-shirt can leave a very light hand since it doesn't require an extra white ink base to cover the shirt color.

It could also be water based ink screen printing.

Old March 8th, 2007 Mar 8, 2007 7:37:08 PM -   #34 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Studios
Check this out ChromaBlast especially if you're in Canada. I'd really love to hear from someone who has used this system. It sounds interesting but kinda expensive... $100 for 100 sheets! With dye-sub you can do other things.. mugs and stuff, but, this does cotton shirts which I really like... hmmm pros and cons I guess.
I haven't used the system itself so I can't attest to its ease of use, but as to the end product -- I picked up a sample at the ISS Fort Worth show and my husband has been wearing and washing it since October. It had a very vibrant print that washed out a fair amount in the first wash, but it has held its colors since the first wash. My thought was that if I used it, it would be for designs that are meant to look a little faded, and I would put on stickers or hangtags that said something like "Made to Fade". It isn't that dull, just compared to the original print it is.

The hand was almost nonexistent and is probably second only to the other sample I picked up at the show, one printed on the Brother DTG. I was really impressed but have not taken the plunge for the same reasons as you and probably many others -- the cost per print for both the paper and the ink and the white-only limitation.

Sawgrass does claim that it's like sublimation in that it doesn't rest on top of the fibers like plastisol or digital transfers, but bonds with the cotton fibers. I don't understand the chemical process well enough to know if this is a fair claim, though.

Old March 23rd, 2007 Mar 23, 2007 6:11:32 AM -   #35 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
screen printing regular plastisol inks on a white t-shirt can leave a very light hand since it doesn't require an extra white ink base to cover the shirt color.
But, if you can't use plastisol, because you are printing and transfering (on demand at event location), would the IronAll or Chromablast be best for photo images?

Sorry if that is a silly questions, still learning about it all.

NS

Old March 26th, 2007 Mar 26, 2007 2:55:43 PM -   #36 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoveltyStuff
But, if you can't use plastisol, because you are printing and transfering (on demand at event location), would the IronAll or Chromablast be best for photo images?

Sorry if that is a silly questions, still learning about it all.

NS
Yep, for photo printed shirts on demand, an inkjet heat transfer or a color laser printer heat transfer would be better than plastisol. It's basically your only option in that case except for dye sub.

Old March 26th, 2007 Mar 26, 2007 4:11:00 PM -   #37 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: David
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

They would be the less expensive but dye-sub would give the best results.

Old September 5th, 2007 Sep 5, 2007 10:47:48 AM -   #38 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoskinGraphix
They would be the less expensive but dye-sub would give the best results.

David,

I took a look at some of your designs on the Tshirts. IMPRESSIVE. Do you guys do those with the sye-sub process you descirbed above.

Old May 23rd, 2008 May 23, 2008 1:22:16 PM -   #39 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Jen

I am new to the business of making t-shirts and uniforms and I could use some help! I print mainly soccer jersey's and they are more of a poly blend and the trouble I am having is that there seems to be a burn mark on every jersey I print. Some are more noticeable that others but I am not sure what to do, does any one have any suggestions?

Old May 23rd, 2008 May 23, 2008 8:42:32 PM -   #40 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrimes
I am new to the business of making t-shirts and uniforms and I could use some help! I print mainly soccer jersey's and they are more of a poly blend and the trouble I am having is that there seems to be a burn mark on every jersey I print. Some are more noticeable that others but I am not sure what to do, does any one have any suggestions?
Some material is just not suitable for DyeSub because it cannot withstand 400 degrees temps. If it's truly a burn, then all you can do is try to lower the temp and/or dwell time and see if you can get an acceptable result without burning the material. It may not be possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to rusty For This Useful Post:
jgrimes (May 27th, 2008)
Old May 24th, 2008 May 24, 2008 9:22:30 PM -   #41 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: D.J.

Some fabrics press better than others. Some of the looser knit ploys will flatten under the pressure of the press showing a "window" of your press. Tighter knits aren't as likely to be a problem. Also, you mentioned that your jerseys were a poly blend. If your press is running on the hot side, you could be burning the cotton part of your jersey or melting the poly. You might want to get some samples of different brands of jerseys and see what works best for you.

I can't recommend enough getting a good quality pyrometer and checking the accuracy of your press temperature in several areas of the press temperature. Many pressed, especially the foreign ones aren't very accurate and often have hot spots. Don't try to use one of those infra red non contact heat guns. They won't give you accurate results. Get a real pyrometer for accurate results.

You can get a pyrometer from knight among other places and it's well worth the investment. Once you know the accuracy of your press and if you have hot spots, you can begin the process of adjusting your temperature, pressure, and time.

Old May 25th, 2008 May 25, 2008 1:36:22 PM -   #42 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: David

Ok I know I will get it for this but you can do 50/50 and cotton now with new transfer paper from china here is pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 167_6792.JPG (363.5 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg 167_6790.JPG (741.1 KB, 143 views)

Old October 21st, 2008 Oct 21, 2008 6:24:59 PM -   #43 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

I thought this was so helpful ! White Rain !

For cotton ,are you using inkjet transfers ..laser,chromoblast or something else ?
Do you have favorite papers ? I am a direct printer ( Flexi Jet-L)...But do lots of sampling for a toy company on all types of materials ..am always looking for new ways ..Thanks !

Old December 17th, 2008 Dec 17, 2008 11:14:17 PM -   #44 (permalink)
Be nice, this is my first post :)

I cannot find any wholesalers who offer 70/30 or 65/35 blends. Can anyone post a link to any such site, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am also having trouble finding an online vendor with a functioning store that offers Vapor Performance shirts. I can only find the regular vapor shirts offered. Tho I can find plenty of descriptions of the Vapor performance material and it sounds pretty attractive. If only I could find some to buy.

Thanks

Old December 18th, 2008 Dec 18, 2008 1:53:13 PM -   #45 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tssandiego
I cannot find any wholesalers who offer 70/30 or 65/35 blends. Can anyone post a link to any such site, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am also having trouble finding an online vendor with a functioning store that offers Vapor Performance shirts. I can only find the regular vapor shirts offered. Tho I can find plenty of descriptions of the Vapor performance material and it sounds pretty attractive. If only I could find some to buy.

Thanks
I get all of my Vapor performance apparel from either The Paper Ranch or Conde. Both are good companies and sell the performance apparel on-line.

This is a discussion about Does dye sublimation *have* to be on the polyester style tees? that was posted in the Dye Sublimation section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in