Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DTG Pretreatment
A section of the forum to discuss DTG Pretreatment machines, techniques, tips and suggestions.
Sponsored by Firebird Ink

Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix?

Like Tree5Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 24th, 2008 Jun 24, 2008 7:19:03 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Adam
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix?

Hello, I am new to this forum as well as DTG printing, got my Blazer Express in last week and have been working with it day and night. Everything is going well but one problem.

It seems there are thousands of little tiny fibers sticking up off the shirt and when I print white ink on a dark shirt, say black. The image looks terrible because the under base of white makes it seem like its not spraying the entire area. Basically right after a print, before the heat press, the image looks cracked all over from a distance but if you take a closer look you can see that all these black little fibers sticking up.

Is there a way to eliminate these fibers from sticking up?

Ive tried the following.

Heat Pressing the shirt for a few seconds from different temperatures ranging from 330F-345F, from anywhere to 3 - 10 seconds.

Heat pressing the shirt, pre treating it, then heat pressing the pre treat from different tempratures and times.

Even went as far as heat pressing the shirt, pre treating it, heat pressing it with the pretreat curing sheets, then pressing it with no sheet at all. Still nothing, the fibers insist on standing.

Anyone know of a way to get these fibers to lay down or burn off?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2008 Jun 24, 2008 7:25:23 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

Default Re: Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix?

What kind of shirts are you using? Also what are you using to brush down your pretreatment with after spraying it on. What direction are you brushing your pretreatment in? are you brushing all one direction?

The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydayz For This Useful Post:
bloodsweatandink (June 24th, 2008)
Old June 24th, 2008 Jun 24, 2008 7:32:05 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Brushing? lol I havnt brushed at all, I simply apply the pretreatment stick on the heatpress then lay the pretreatment paper on top and press it.

Tell me more about this brushing, the manual said nothing about it! My god if that was the problem the whole time I will be so excited!

Can you answer:

What kind of brush I use?
Which way do I brush?

And anything else I may need to know about brushing?

Old June 24th, 2008 Jun 24, 2008 7:39:02 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

Haha that is too funny ok a little part of pretreating that maybe got overlooked hehe. I will tell you how I do it. First I apply a light mist of distilled water (with a spray bottle set to mist) this little trick will make sure you dont have any box from the pretreatment. Then I spray the pretreatment on going side to side and up and down but not too much. Then I use a boar bristle paint brush and I brush all the fibers in a down direction. I only brush down and no other direction. Then after I brush down and make sure my pretreatment is even, I heat press for around 10 seconds with quilan parchment paper, take off the paper and press another 10 seconds. Then I am ready to print There are 2 reasons you want to brush the pretreatment into the shirt. 1. you want your pretreatment even and by brushing you can make sure it is evenly distributed. 2. lol to make sure the fibers are flattened down so they dont stick up thru the print.

And dont feel bad you didnt know because it is amazing some of the smallest details that can make a difference and that get overlooked, and look you gave me a big smile in the process

Let me know how this works for you.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to sunnydayz For This Useful Post:
aju_jp (March 24th, 2011), angrystone (November 28th, 2016), BBProd (December 3rd, 2008), bloodsweatandink (June 24th, 2008), cmos (April 20th, 2010), cohort (February 21st, 2009), DimitryN (July 27th, 2011), Florimonte (August 29th, 2008), HTS (June 17th, 2011), kdpromo (May 13th, 2010), nwlaser (May 5th, 2009), OSSKOBRET (January 18th, 2012), VR46 (March 21st, 2016)
Old June 24th, 2008 Jun 24, 2008 7:45:41 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Awesome this is great news and makes perfect sense!

Another couple questions popped in my head when you replied which is:

You mentioned 'the box' from pretreatment. I get this, I was told by support that the pretreatment washes out and that it will not be there anymore once washed. I tested it out and it seemed to be true but I did find that sometimes when I heat press shirts after they were printed I get the box from where they were pressed and it looks slightly discolored from the rest of the shirt, is that normal?

Also what kind of pressure are you using for pretreament when it comes to the heat press.

Thanks again, im sure you just solved every last problem I had with this Express!

Old June 24th, 2008 Jun 24, 2008 7:49:51 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

If it is a colored shirt you will see a little discoloration but once it cools it should go away. As far as the pretreatment box, sometimes if it is sprayed too heavily it will be hard to wash out, but most times yes it should wash out. By spraying a light mist of distilled water on the shirt first usually you wont even see any box at all, even before washing.

I use light pressure for everything I do with my dtg, pretreatment and curing. If your using heavy pressure, your probably over doing it light pressure is usually all that is needed.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sunnydayz For This Useful Post:
bloodsweatandink (June 24th, 2008), Florimonte (August 29th, 2008), JPFuentealba (February 28th, 2012), VR46 (March 21st, 2016)
Old June 24th, 2008 Jun 24, 2008 8:16:03 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I just wanted to let you know that I tried your method, and the first time I tried it improve the quality probably 40% or so. Then I adjusted the ammount of pretreatment i used, the pressure of my press and it has improved 10 fold! It looks amazing!

My wife and I think you VERY much for the help!

The Following User Says Thank You to bloodsweatandink For This Useful Post:
VR46 (March 21st, 2016)
Old June 24th, 2008 Jun 24, 2008 8:24:40 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

No problem glad I could be of help.

Old June 25th, 2008 Jun 25, 2008 12:48:39 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Marc

Show off!

Old June 25th, 2008 Jun 25, 2008 12:24:40 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Andy
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Here is what we do, it might not be as good as the brushing but seems to work.

Do the regular pretreatment spray, do regular press time, then flip over the parchment paper and repress shirt for 5 -10 seconds.

It seems the first time we press, pulling off the parchment paper sometimes pulls up the fibers and by flipping the paper and pressing alittle more it doesn't stick to the shirt and presses down the fibers.

It's worth a shot.

Old June 25th, 2008 Jun 25, 2008 12:26:34 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hey thanks for the tip, ill give that a shot too but the previously mentioned method works wonders.

Old June 25th, 2008 Jun 25, 2008 1:20:37 PM -   #12 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

That is the reason I do the second press for 10 seconds after I remove the paper, because it is dry enough after the first press to not stick to your platen. I find by pressing directly with the platen the second 10 seconds works best for pressing down the fibers well.

Old June 25th, 2008 Jun 25, 2008 2:03:28 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

BobbieLee, you rule!! :-)

Old June 25th, 2008 Jun 25, 2008 8:24:00 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Zhen

You could also try using a different brand of t-shirt. Ringspuns seem less prone to fibres sticking out.

I've found a t-shirt that doesn't require any more brushing of the pretreament. Also silky smooth and the white ink just loves pool (so now I drop it back to 720dpi layer, less ink, better washability).

Old July 17th, 2008 Jul 17, 2008 4:43:50 AM -   #15 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Brian

where are you getting a boar bristle paint brush? Do you have a picture of the brush you use that you could post?

This is a discussion about Little Fibers Sticking Up Off Shirt any fix? that was posted in the DTG Pretreatment section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in